“Great stay”

Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place
Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We reserved two rooms and were greeted by very friendly and helpful people during the entire visit. Allison was particularly helpful at the front desk - making sure our rooms were close and that one minor issue was corrected quickly. Rooms were nice and the stay was great. There is some construction going on at the property, but we were not bothered by the work at all and even the workers were friendly. I recommend this hotel (I don't think I've ever written a review before, but the way these people treated us compelled me to do so). The convenience of the location added to a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Rick C, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for your comments. I am extremely proud of our staff for delivering such exceptional service. Allison our Assistant General Manager is a great asset to our property and I will make sure to pass along your kind comments to her. The entrance to our lobby now has beautiful new tile to welcome our guests. We will definitely be working towards making our construction projects the least invasive to our guests to guarantee you have a wonderful stay. We are happy to be introducing a new updated fitness room to our location which should be available to our guests within the next month. Your recommendation means everything to us and we hope to see you again soon the next time you are traveling through Chattanooga.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon arriving the property appears clean, and really it is clean on the exterior. It is right off the interstate, and was easy to get too as travelers. We reserved hours in advance for two queens since we had a party of three;one being a couple.

Upon arriving i was informed we despite literally being told we were guaranteed the room, were a victim of overbooking. We instead got a queen with a pullout bed and an outstanding few dollar discount for the inconvenience.

We settled and walked to the room, the second we opened the door it had a VERY strong foul odor. Chemical/stale smell. The room had very good decor, very modern looking. The pullout was not expected to be nice, but it was a piece of junk, my roommate cut their leg on the metal sticking out of the side.

I slept on the bed, attempted to sleep that is. The roommates said their bed was not comfy and complained of a 'dampness' to the bed. Perhaps from humidity I'm hoping.

Not that this is the hotels fault, but in the morning while waiting for 'Starbucks', we were rudely cut in front of over and over by a party or rude people who had endless family jumping in line. We said screw it and left this hotel and cut our losses. Poor quality of sleep, odors, dampness, overbooking, rude atmosphere, will never stay at a similar named hotel again.

Stayed at Hampton the past 3 nights, same price, MUCH better from a travelers perspective.

Im ashamed to say it was my idea to stay at the hotel, my reasoning is that it was a 'Marriott' never again will i say that..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Seth S
Rick C, Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I’m so incredibly sorry to hear about your stay. We try our best to make sure that every guest leaves feeling like that had an exceptional stay. We do our best to make sure that you receive the correct room type with your reservation and I am sorry that we were not able to honor that. We have high standards with the cleanliness of our rooms and your room should have been up to those standards. I feel that we didn’t do our best and didn’t go above and beyond to correct your issues. With a busy weekend and a full house we should have taken extra measures to ensure that you had a great stay. I do sincerely apologize for your issues and have taken your concerns to the appropriate managers within Marriott. I hope that you will be able to give us another chance and give us the opportunity to make a better impression.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Used this CY for a stopping point on July 27. Arrived at property later than expected due to traffic. Phoned property to confirm our arrival. Dustin(?) was very polite in insuring we would have rooms when we arrived. Arrived with 13 family members. Dustin greater us at the front door and got us checked in for the night. I later realized his shift was either over or he was supposed to be on break when we arrived. He NEVER indicated that! He took his time to accommodate us and never once made us feel rushed because he needed to leave. The entire staff including security worked as a team to get us in and settled for night. Excellent customer service!! Rooms were nicely sized and clean. Beds were very comfortable. Like others have mentioned, the only downside to this property is that they do not have an elevator which really wasn't a big deal for my group.

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor room, if stairs are an issue.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rick C, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your most recent stay. I am incredibly proud of our staff for delivering such excellent customer service. I will make sure to pass along your comments to Dustin for doing such a great job. I am sure he will be very pleased knowing that a guest left with such a wonderful impression. We work day in and out to deliver an exceptional guest experience and I am glad that we were able to do that for you. It is true that we do not have an elevator, but we provide complimentary luggage assistance anytime you may need it. I am glad that your accommodations were well appointed for your stay. We hope to see you again soon the next time you are traveling to Chattanooga.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this CY for one night during a stop-over while picking up my grandchildren. We stayed in a double queen room and had plenty of room even with the crib set up in our room. While checking in I requested a crib and before we could pull the car around, gather our belongings and get to our room they had it set up and greeted us at the door as they were leaving. We were located on the ground floor which was a great convenience with the babies since there is not an elevator available for this 2 story hotel. Our room had a sliding glass door which was nice because we could park right outside the door. There wasn't a patio so you had to walk thru the mulch and landscaping. The way I see it, if the door opens then you should be able to use it. They might want to install some stepping stones or something. The room was very clean and the beds quite comfortable. My only complaint was we were in a room with a connecting door and our next door neighbors were a bit loud and inconsiderate. Especially at 5:00 am while blaring music while getting ready. Darla and Lavora who were manning the front desk and the Bistro were WONDERFUL! They both went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable!! It is close to anything and everything you could want. Shopping, dining and entertainment. The area also seemed very safe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rick C, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I’m very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and that our staff treated you exceptionally. I will make sure to pass on your comments to Darla and Lovora as they will be very happy to hear about their impact during your stay. It is true that we do not have an elevator, but we do offer luggage assistance and when available always try to accommodate first floor requests. Thank you for your feedback on the sliding glass doors as we are always looking for ways to improve our property. Please know that whenever you have a noise issue to relay that to our staff as we will do our best to keep the property quiet during your stay. We are located in the heart of Chattanooga’s largest shopping center at Hamilton Place and there is so much to do here as well as the convenience to get downtown easily. I’m very proud of our staff for delivering such an exceptional overall experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms were nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. Breakfast was delicious at the bistro. The staff was professional and courteous and made you feel welcome. Just be away that if you plan at staying at this hotel, there is no elevator.

Stayed: July 2014
Rick C, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you so much for your comments. I am proud of our property for offering such a great stay for you. I love to hear that you enjoyed the Bistro and service. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and the property as a whole. We don’t have an elevator, but are always happy to help our guests with luggage service. We work hard to give our guests an exceptional stay and I’m proud that we were able to do that for you. I can’t wait to see you and your family back at our Courtyard the next time you are traveling through Chattanooga.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a family trip. There are 5 of us, our three daughters are under 10. Reserved for 5 presuming that a king room OK for 5 would have beds for 5 (expected the king bed, double pullout and a rollaway/cot) which was not the case. What we received is a standard CY king room with a pullout, smaller than a double. The hotel staff is aware of this problem and stated it is the Marriott website. With a family of 5 I am used to having to check around for lodging that can accommodate us but this is a first. The room was reserved & confirmed for 5 but truly could only sleep 3. After a long day on the road we relented, grabbed a couple sleeping bags from the car for the kids and settled in the best we could. (We were staying on rewards points and it was free) The temporary hotel manager did comp us breakfast for our inconvenience fir which I did appreciate the effort.
Very disappointed and if this is as the hotel/Marriott planned I cannot travel with Marriott for family trips any longer. I cannot recommend this property for family travel, there are many other options in the area that would certainly be better.

Room Tip: Do not book this property for family travel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rick C, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga at Hamilton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I apologize for the complications during your stay. Our king rooms are equipped with a king size bed and twin size pullout and I know it can be frustrating when booking on-line. Our rooms with Two Queen beds would have been a better option, but during this time period the hotel is extremely busy and all we had available were king rooms at the time of booking. We will look into our website and make sure the appropriate information is being relayed. We want your hotel stay to always be exceptional and that we go above and beyond to clear up issues such as this. I hope that you can give our property another opportunity to make this up to you. We are proud of the Courtyard brand and please know that we take all feedback seriously to help correct anything that doesn’t make a stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The good:
It was clean, well decorated, polite staff.

The bad:
The first room wreaked of smoke, had to get changed.
The walls are thin (ever stay in a Motel 6?). I could hear every step above me.
No in room movies, no TV guide,
Free wifi - NOT, you have to pay if you want it to be fast.
The price is way out of line with the quality of the hotel.

It would have been a fine at half the price, but as it was, I feel totally ripped.

In this area, you can do SO much better for less. Marriott has lost me.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs - no elevator though.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

First, let me say how incredibly sorry I am that you did not experience a great stay. We do not allow our guests to smoke in our rooms at it is a Tennessee state law. I do apologize for the room that was smoked in and I am glad we were able to move you. We do have two versions of our internet speed, but our free wireless is a very reliable and fast connection. We strive to make each guest feel exceptional. Thank you for your comments; we will be able to correct some of these issues moving forward. I hope that you can give our property another opportunity to make this experience up to you.