Homewood Suites by Hilton Chattanooga/Hamilton Place
Ranked #27 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Covington, Tennessee
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We went to Chattanooga for a quick getaway April 29th-May 1st. We got a 2 bedroom suite. I was worried after reading some reviews. But our room was very nice. Very clean rooms and the bedrooms were spacious. I was a little taken back because our room was not ready on time...but we learned later that due to all the storms/tornadic weather, their utilities had just been restored within 2 hours of us getting there. When they were finished cleaning our room (room 119) the housekeeping staff apologized that it was not ready on time (so friendly!). The hotel is not in the heart of downtown where the attractions are, BUT its not to far out either... I think it was like 12-14 miles away. This turned out to be a great hotel and location for us. We had no problems, the breakfast was great and the beds were comfortable. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a 2 bedroom suite, more room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 14 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night; it was the first time we had stayed at a Homewood Suites (we normally stay at Hilton Garden Inns, Hampton or Embassy Suites). The hotel did provide the basics you expect from a hotel - a safe, comfortable place to spend the night, but it fell short on a lot of little details.

First, the positives. I had reserved the room a few days in advance and used the new Hilton e-check-in (I know that this transfers work a Hilton employee would do to me). But I was able to pick my room and on check-in all I did was show my credit card and sign in. The front desk person was very friendly.

The room was of adequate size, with a separate living/dining area and bedroom. I saw no excessive wear and tear in the room or other areas of the hotel. The rooms were adequately furnished and very clean. The fireplace was a nice touch and really cranked out the heat.

The evening dinner was a surprise. It consisted of fried chicken, cooked vegetables, mashed potatoes and gravy, and salad. Unfortunately, except for the salad, it didn't fit into a recent medically required diet, but it was a nice touch. Breakfast was also nice, nothing special but again adequate. The dining and food areas were kept spotless and the staff of hand was very friendly and accommodating.

Now the less than desirable aspects, more or less in the order they were encountered. First, the location is a bit odd. It is on a small small street off a major avenue; I felt like I was driving into an industrial area, that is once I found the street. The entryway, rather than have a double door with a small foyer to prevent cold air from blasting in, was a single door. This said to me right off - "budget hotel, cheap, cutting corners."

There were two heavy duty luggage carts and we got to use both during our stay and both were not good. On one, one of pivoting wheels was stuck and didn't rotate. On the other, the wheels seemed to be of different sizes so instead of sitting flat on the floor it rocked. Both of these issues made if very difficult to maneuver the carts - it took both of us to navigate them.

Even though the room was mostly adequate, I was disappointed for several reasons. First it was not homey or inviting. The ceilings were high and gave it more of an industrial feel rather than like someplace I would want to live in for several weeks (and after all, Homewood Suites positions itself as a place to stay for an extended time). I think I was expecting something more like the rooms at Embassy Suites - top notch furniture, comfortable feel, lower ceilings; more like home than a hotel room. I didn't get that here.

Next, the desk, or rather the lack of a desk. I expected a nice large desk with good lighting and a good desk chair. Instead there was a table in the kitchen area that did double duty as a dining table a desk. It was not acceptable in that the lighting was marginal (thank goodness my wife brought a portable desk lamp or we would have been in trouble) and it was much too high. I am 6 feet tall yet I had to put two pillows on the kitchen type chair so I could at least be somewhat comfortable working. It almost seems like the table was set up for wheel chair access even though the rest of the room was not accessible.

Next, the door on the dishwasher must have been missing some springs as when I opened it there was nothing to keep if from crashing down. The sliding doors on the shower in the bathroom were made out of the lightest aluminum frame and Plexiglas I have ever seen, not a nice high quality tempered glass enclosure, plus one of the towel bars was loose and hanging down. The sink was in the hall between the bathroom and the bedroom, a setup that I don't like (why not put the sink in the bath?).

Overall this property fell well below my expectations. Yes I got a clean room and a comfortable bed, but all of the negatives indicate to me that Homewood Suites are a cheap, budget hotel, maybe competing with Comfort Inns.

When I think about an overall assessment of this hotel, the first question I ask is if I were to be in Chattanooga under similar circumstances would I stay in this Homewood Suites again? The answer is clearly no. Would I recommend this hotel to someone else? Again the answer is no. Would I stay at another Homewood Suites? This is bit more difficult since this was my first stay at a Homewood so I have no way to compare. If this Homewood Suites is typical of other Homewood properties or considered one of the best, then absolutely I would not stay at another location. If this is one of the least desirable, then perhaps I would try a different location.

Next time we are in Chattanooga we will use a different hotel for sure.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stl82
michaeldonaldson, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chattanooga/Hamilton Place, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 October 2010

The Staff was very friendly!! Lobby was nice. Upon our walk to our room we noticed wall paper peeling off the walls in the hallway. We parked outback and came in through the back door where the hotel washes the sheets, towls etc..the doors were left open so we could see right in their laundry area, very dirty, laundry soap spilled on the floor, sheets piled up.
The room was clean, but seemed dark. I don't think I would have been able to sleep if my husband wasn't there. Ice machine on our floor (4th floor) was broke water was leaking all over the floor in the vedor room area on that floor.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
atlanta
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We recently stayed here with 2 elementary school age kids and it was perfect. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was great in the evening. The room was clean and comfortable and it was particularly nice to have the full size fridge/freezer to store the items from our cooler. We found the breakfast to actually be one of the best complimentary hotel breakfasts we have had in a while. We had debated going over to the nearby Cracker Barrel but after perusing the buffet realized that it was more than enough to fill us up until lunch time. I'm glad we chose to eat at the hotel. All in all this was a great hotel that served our needs quite well.

Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 22 September 2010

From What i have heard hotel staff in Chattanooga are not so well behaved, i did not know that before I went there. The guy who welcomed us was nice and helped us, but once we went in BATHROOMS were dirty and unclean, after some phone calls theye were cleaned.

They offer free complimentary breakfast whic was decent, they also offer free wireless and wired internet which is a bonus.

The checkout was a mess we asked for 30 minutes of time so that we can check out after feeding our 7 month old, but hotel managment were adament that we vacate by 12:00 pm, I guess they stirctly stick to their timing but given that there were no bokings on the room and it was a sunday they could have given us 30 minutes extra, unsure why they were being bad about this.

Overall stay was fine but would certainly look for other options next time aorund. May be ok for single of a couple but definetly NOT a family friendly hotel.

1 Thank drharsha
Georgia
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Homewood Suites. The lobby was clean and lovely, the staff and friendly and attentive but the ROOM, wow! I got a handicap accessible double queen because I have some mobility issues. The bathroom was HUGE, with lots of grip bars. The tub. however, what not one that a wheelchair could roll into, which is not my problem. The remotes were WEIRD, we could only use them from one of the beds and it was very hard to change channels or volume. The kitchen in the room was lovely, dark colored cabinets and granite countertops. The beds were high but comfortable and I slept like a rock thru the night. The location was very close to lots of restaurants and Hamilton place mall. The free breakfast was better than most. Great stay!

Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2010

The location of this hotel put us off at first with a second rate budget motel behind it and an apartment complex across the street from the front. But the staff was top notch and our suite was in good working order. The morning breakfast was typically good Homewood Suites fare. Several good restaurants were a short drve away and access to the interstate was easy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple