“Manager/owner just walks right in!!!”

Howard Johnson Chattanooga Lookout Mountain
Ranked #72 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I only stay at choice hotels so I know how good they usually are. I now know how bad they can be. We stayed two nights, I will explain both. The first night, the television was broken and would not work with a remote. I know it sounds trite, but hey for $70 and after a long day you want to relax not jump up every time you want to change channels. The front desk lady was great and tried several different remotes but she finally told me the manager could do nothing about it. Took $4 off the bill but hey, I wanted what I paid for. The HBO would not come in either. The next day I talked directly to the owner and asked for the customary 'late checkout' that is available to every Choice Privileges member. Next thing you know, there is one knock on the door and an immediate opening of the room door. The guy just walked right in on us! Call me picky but invasion of privacy is big with me. I am just glad my wife and I were clothed! This room also had a box spring that was just that all springs no covering. Someone with small kids will end up sueing this place when their kid gets a hand stuck in springs. It will serve them right.

The second night the HBO still did not work. Thank goodness the remote did or I would gripe about that again. The cleaning crew left three large bags full of old food and god know what else right outside our door all afternoon. Sitting in the sun really made the food stench about run us away. I have included a picture of this trash.

Whatever you do, do not stay at this hotel. I would rather sleep in the car. At least the hotel manager doesn't have a door key to the Buick.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crewnut34

Reviewed 21 October 2008

Breakfast did not open until 7am on the weekends. We travel alot and get up early.....open the breakfast at 6am! Overall clean and nice....would not stay again because of the breakfast.....people had to wait in the lobby until some lady motioned for us to eat! It's about the paying customer....that's customer service.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank BillyMemphis
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We arrived on Friday September 12 and the room we had requested was not available for the nights I had booked for so we settled for a room with 2 queen beds. The first room we were assigned we unload our car and when we were ready to go get a bite to eat we couldn't get the door to lock. The desk clerk was nice enough to come check it out and then assigned us another room. The next day we throughly enjoyed seeing some of the sites of Chattanooga but at 5 on Sunday morning we hear a pounding on our door announcing Chattanooga police. Our car along with 2 others had been vandalized and our driver side window was completely shattered. It being a Sunday there was no way to get the window repaired and in a strange city you can't drive around with plastic over your window that you can't see out of. This totally ruined our last day plus when I talked to the manager/owner of the hotel her question to me (given very sarcastically) was what do you expect me to do? After a miserable Sunday afternoon in a room that was hard to keep a reasonable temperature (you either froze or were to warm) we were set-up with a company to come install the window, due to circumstances they were not able to get to us as quickly as they thought and we were asked frequently by the owner when we would be leaving. Believe me by then we were as anxious to leave there and get home as she was to have us checked out.
I do have to say that several of the people we came into contact with at the front desk were wonderful. You can take this for what it is worth you might have a wonderful stay as for me I will not be back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2008

It was a group of 15 people that evacuated from Louisiana during hurricane gustav. We drove from 11:30 p.m. saturday night and arrived at the hotel at 2:30 p.m. sunday just in time to check in. We were finished with the check in process, we had hotel keys in hand when the owner of the hotel ran in taking the keys back saying the rooms were not ready and saying there were a problem with ever cedit and debit card we gave them, saying all of them were declining. We knew what he was getting at but we were so tired we offered to pay cash. we only wanted to pay two days at a time because thae hurricane may not be so bad and we may be able to go home after a day or two. But the owner didn't allow us to do that, he wanted all four days in advance. so we went out sides to decide what to do. The owner of India decent canceled our reservations, so we had to ride around a city we knew nothing about looking for a room, we had children, elderly people, and pets. So my dad got tired of driving around because he was feeling sick. He drove back to the same hotel and the price went from $62.99 a night to $130.00 a night. Now the lady that worked the front dest had already told us the regular price for the rooms are $80.00 to $90.00 depending on the night of the week. So besides the obvious prejudice, there was also "rape", raping someone for their money. We will never recommend this place. We would rather take our chances with the storm.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank sorryfromla
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Dont do it. Some ones underware left in bathroom.Spiders on wall.Leg broken off of end table.Burns on table and safety latch on door held on with one screw.Sheets to small for the bed.Paid 117.20 for room.Called later for price for same night the folling week and got a price of 79.95.When people got the underware out of room my wife happen to be comming up the stairs outside and the person who removed them from bathroom thought it was funny and was having a good time swinging them around for all his friends who work there to see.I have stayed in a lot of motels this was the highest priced and the worst I have seen.The work Quality should not even said on the premise.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank spirit11mo
Reviewed 6 October 2007

Yuck--not clean, disgusting mini fridge (moldy), microwave (also moldy, & greasy) Whole place stunk of mold/dirt. Sheets would not stay on the rock-hard bed. Pillows were also hard lumps. Bathroom--well, I've seen many cleaner gas station bathrooms. Breakfast--almost afraid to eat the food, based on the state of the sleeping accomodation. However, breakfast room was cleaner anyway. "hot" food was biscuits, with gravy in a crockpot. I think they just dumped in cold gravy and put crock pot on warm. An hour after breakfast service started the stuff was just barely warm. Pastries were fresh. No water available in breakfast area. Indoor pool was "being renovated" and we were told we were welcome to use the pool at the hotel across the parking lot. That hotel had an even worse rating than this one. If we're ever in the Chattanooge area again, we will steer clear of this dump.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGirlNe
Reviewed 12 June 2007

Chose this hotel for the location. We were just passing through Chattanooga on our way to Pigeon Forge. We wanted to see Lookout Mountain/Ruby Falls. The hotel is a hop, skip, and a jump to this attraction. If sitting at the outdoor pool area, you can see the mountain. Lovely mountain views from the parking lots of the hotel. Easy booking on Hotels.com. 2 queen beds (comfortable), microwave, small frige, and clean. Fast food and gas in parking lot. Felt safe in this location.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family