“Food is tasty!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I normally don't like buffet style dining, however, It was lunch time and I ordered take-out. To my surprise, the food was very tasty and the service was great. I did not know what I wanted but the server walked me through it and explained each dish. This is also a sit down restaurant that offers a buffet style option.

I will definitely dine there again. Maybe next time we'll sit down and eat!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Today I went to Sitar with my family around 9:00 pm and restaurant looked half full with american patrons. We got a table in the corner and we had to call the waiter to give the order. Once we gave the order the waiter never checked back with us, not to even refill water glasses. When we got the food, it was too spicy to eat with no taste. We ordered an extra naan when we got the food and it took them 30 minutes to bring it out and that after we reminded them that we have ordered an extra naan (indian bread). There were American customers that were in there after us who left before us, because they are discriminating against their own people. I am regular customer there, but not anymore because I told the manager when I was paying bill that we got horrible service and no water refills, and food was too hot. And, his response was "that's ok, whatever". I usually leave 20% tip and I told him that I was not leaving him any tip this time because I did not get service and he DID NOT EVEN APOLOGIZE ONCE. I have left this restaurant TIPS in the past even if we got BAD SERVICE, but THIS IS THE LAST TIME. I've given them SEVERAL CHANCES to prove their service but they FAILED everytime except when I am the only customer there. I can eat at many other restaurant in Chattanooga Area who will respect their customers and provide quality food and service like INDIA MAHAL. For People who want GREAT SERVICE you should try INDIA MAHAL. I do not work or own it, but I know the manager there and his food and service is WORTH it. Its just when we are in downtown we try SITAR, BUT THEY FAIL every time.

1  Thank traveldon12
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We tried Sitar for the lunch buffet and found it to be better than some of the other Indian buffets in the area (Curry Pot was pretty awful). Sitar has a nice selection on the buffet, and the options are pretty good (but not really good) in terms of flavor. But the true test of a restaurant is when you come at dinner and order off of the menu. We like our Indian food on the spicy side which you can't get on the buffet, so we had been wanting to try Sitar at dinner for awhile. When we finally did, it was disappointing.

The service, first of all, was seriously lacking. We took awhile to look through the menu, and then sat for an extended time with our menus closed waiting for someone to come and take our order. No one checked on us the entire time. We were waiting for water refills for a long time, and for the check once we were finished. They were not really busy so I don't understand why.

The food was overall disappointing. One of us ordered the Shrimp Masala, spiced medium. It was good, but not great. It could've been spicier for a medium, and the sauce wasn't really a masala at all. Despite that, it was still decent. The other ordered Chicken Vindaloo. We first asked about the heat level of Vindaloo, because in authentic Indian food, Vindaloo is extremely spicy and we wanted to know if that was the case here. The waiter said that the Vindaloo is 'medium', so we ordered it, but then he asked how spicy we wanted it, so we said hot. It came milder than the masala and hugely disappointing. First of all, when you are paying 11.95 for chicken in the US, it should be chicken breast, not funky other parts with stringy gristly bits. The sauce was basically tomato sauce, and not at all like a Vindaloo is supposed to be. The texture of the sauce was like tomato soup. They also don't have some staples on the dinner menu (Chicken Madras? Tandoori Shrimp Masala?). The rice was good and the garlic naan is delicious.

We really wanted to like Sitar, and though we might go back for the buffet, we both agreed that we won't be back for dinner.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I will admit that I am not a good critic of Indian food. Rarely eat it. So my review is coming from that side of the track. The food just seem bland and all very much the same flavor. It if is supposed to taste that way then I guess I might change my rating slightly. Tried a lot of the veggie opitons and one of the chicken. I was with a group of people that eat Indian food on a regular basis. They rated the food as average.

Service was another story.

Seriously..service was not a priority. Took forever for our order to be taken. The waiter kept on saying we should try something different than what we were ordering. It an item on the menu "isnt good" then take it off. It took 15 min to get a refill on my very flat diet coke. Flat as in no fizz. Waiter never came back and checked on us. When we were done eating we shuffled the plates around to make it clear we were done. Still almost 20 min to get the check. Based on this visit do not think I would give them another chance. We were at the downtown location.

1  Thank robert37363
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The location is great and easily accessible. We were greeted and seated promptly. We ordered the dinner combination for two. We were asked how spicy we liked our food. I told the waiter just mildly spiced and that's exactly how it was cooked. The dinner was delicious and more than we could eat. We took home enough for another meal at the hotel. We will eat here again on our next visit!