“Better than some 4 Star hotels, excellent service, comforts, cleanliness”

Residence Inn Chattanooga Near Hamilton Place
Ranked #10 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Boston/London
“Better than some 4 Star hotels, excellent service, comforts, cleanliness”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Was looking for a hotel as close to the office I was visiting as possible, hence forgoed the 5 star hotels further out. I'm used to luxury (e.g. Jumeirah in NY/Dubai, W Hotels, luxury hotels in Asia etc), so was very apprehensive before I arrived. However I was very pleasantly surprised.

The hotel felt brand new and clean. The colour scheme, choice of fabrics and materials felt luxurious - some 3 star hotels will opt for noisy bright colour schemes, but this was discreet and pleasing ot the eye.

Misty at reception , and all other reception staff, had great attitudes, were very efficient, prompt and thorough (e.g. I asked them to organize a taxi for me in the morning. They called that evening to book the taxi. Unprompted they called to check on it an hour in advance of the time it was supposed to arrive.)

My room was very comfortable - good beds and pillows, good bath products, huge closets and storage space, enormous flat screen TV, clean kitchenette and carpets. Very quiet.

Breakfast was fresh and delicious and there was an extensive selection of items (hot and cold) inc. eggs, sausage, granola, oatmeal, pastries and other bread goods, a waffle maker, and fruit. Coffee was good.

I don't have any complaints. There's some mini golf on the site, and a pool too.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank karinavarma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I must agree with the other reviewers that this is a great hotel...I can't believe it is a Marriott. It is new and and a well designed hotel. My wife and I stayed at this location from July 17th - 19th 2009. We stayed here based upon the reviews on tripadvisor. The hotel is very quiet at night. There was a large group of young baseball players and families with dogs. We had a family stay right across from us (Room 325) and we didn't hear anything barking at night and mostly throughout the day. Breakfast was good and the pool was a good size. Overall, check-in and check-out was fast and efficient. I may stay here again, but it is a little far away from downtown and I may try the downtown Residence Inn on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhw82
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Spotless hotel (since it has only been open a few weeks). The rooms were well-designed with a kitchen, couch bed, television that swiveled between the bed and the couch, and a decent sized bathroom. There's a small indoor swimming pool, a lobby that's used for breakfast and is a friendly place to hang out, an outdoor seating patio area, and even a small putting green. The breakfast was excellent--hot eggs, potatoes, and sausage, plus the usual waffles and other quick foods. Staff was very friendly. There are five or six restaurants and a grocery store close to the hotel (within a ten minute walk). It's the latest in well-thought-out hotel design so I don't have a single complaint to make about it. Great place!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MJennings
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We're a family of 4 on a military move from Alaska to Florida. We stayed one night in a studio suite at this Res Inn for $87, $102 with tax. This BRAND NEW (March '09) hotel is located in a pack of hotels just west of I-75 at Shallowford Rd. I'm not sure about coming from I-75 S, but the hotel can't be seen when getting off I-75 N (which is how you get there if you come into town on I-24). When headed west on Shallowford Rd. (into the sun when most business travelers are arriving), Center St. is easy to miss because it has a small sign and looks like an alleyway. Even if you make the turn, there are still no signs and it looks like you're in a residential area before breaking out into the hotel property. I recommend turning north on Lee Hwy (at the light). TripAdvisor reviews made me leery of Chattanooga's safety, but fear not. This hotel is in a safe area around other hotels, offices, a big church, and a school. The mall is on the opposite side of the freeway, too far to walk. There were some eateries within walking distance, but if you make the evening reception (with free beer & wine), they won't be necessary.

The lobby is very trendy. I worry that maybe it's so trendy in that "housing boom" way that it might not be trendy in a few years, but I'll trust that the designers know what they're doing. My favorite part were three little "nooks" along the front wall that hold 3 or 4 people and have their own LCD TV. This means you can watch your own slant of news or put Disney on for the kids in the morning without disrupting others.

We stayed in a studio suite. It was a standard U shape and it basically a hotel room with a kitchen and pullout couch. It's really nice with standard Res Inn stuff. Great beds, bathroom, and kitchen. Granite & stainless all around. The 42" LG flat panel on a swivel was nice. Our room was on the 4th floor and was silent on all sides. Comfy bed and a very stylish room.

The facilities are very nice. The indoor pool was great for adults and the kids, the fitness center looked very nice, there was a fire pit, and the laundry room had new HE front loaders. There are two lobby computers with the latest "hotel browser" setup. One gripe with the internet here. Access was seamless, but there's a catch...384kbps down for free, but you pay 8.95 if you want 1.5Mbps down. That "revenue booster" seems a little like a trap and is very 2004 for such a new hotel.

One minor housekeeping complaint...We arrived back from dinner with some drink cups to throw away and the only trash can immediately apparent was the one in the bathroom, but it didn't have a plastic bag. I felt bad throwing my trash in there without a bag. Then I went to the lobby to grab a cup of decaf and a cookie. The trash can next to the coffee area didn't have a bag, so once again I felt bad throwing my trash in the can. I seriously thought, "Hmm...brand new hotel...is this some kind of new green initiative to not use plastic trash bags?" The next morning as I got ready to leave my room, I needed a place to toss my morning coffee cup. We had filled the bathroom can so I asked my wife if there was another trash can. We found it in the cabinet next to the fridge...also without a bag...but it did have someone else's trash in it :( It was then that my wife asked if I was the one who had unwrapped the soap next to the sink. It wasn't me, so I asked if it was her, which it wasn't. Unless that's the norm, which it isn't anywhere else, we got the previous guest's bar of handsoap as well. The desk clerk apologized as I checked out, but it really wasn't that big of a deal to us. I think this is a quality control and training issue (due to being a new hotel) that will be solved by management.

Based on TripAdvisor reviews of other hotels in the area, unless you get a killer deal somewhere else, I would recommend this hotel over all others without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family