“Wonderful Atmosphere and Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Alleia
Ranked #25 of 822 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Thoughts of opening an additional concept in the southside of chattanooga stirred in 2004. chef lindley wanted to explore true rustic italian, but incorporate regional flavor. exceptional ingredients imported from italy and quality produce delivered from local farms make this vision a reality. situated in chattanooga's rejuvenated southside neighborhood, alleia resides in the old harrington building. the fulfillment of chef daniel lindley's dream of offering simple, italian inspired cuisine opened its doors in april 2009. chef lindley's latest venture is a unique interpretation of rustic italian cuisine, using local ingredients to create an evolving menu. alleia boasts seven types of house made pasta and a custom brick oven that reaches 750 degrees for pizza making. remarkably designed by rodney simmons of revival studio, alleia captures the warmth and comfort of a traditional trattoria, while breaking new ground in present-day restaurant design. trimmed in 300 year old wood taken from the harrington building, the space can seat 150, including a striking communal table that seats 32. the porch at alleia marries the best of al fresco and indoor dining. featuring a generous wraparound banquette, climbing jasmine and views of lookout mountain, the porch provides reprieve from the bustle of the southside. please enjoy.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Wonderful Atmosphere and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Some friends treated my husband and me to dinner at this restaurant, and it was wonderful. The service was impeccable, and the food was very good. We sampled three different appetizers and three different first courses, and I had the angel hair pasta with gulf shrimp. My dish was very good, but not outstanding. My husband had the pork, which I tasted, and it was very good.

If we return, I would not order so much, since it was more food than I usually eat, but the atmosphere makes the restaurant a lovely place for a romantic evening.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jvcs

Nashville, Tennessee
“Always Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Have eaten here several times when visiting the area and have never been disappointed! The atmosphere is wonderful - the staff and servers are knowledgeable and attentive - and the food is fantastic. I have tried several of their offerings and this time had the ravioli which was prepared to perfection. The grilled romaine salad is a favorite and also the wood-fired pork shoulder. Portions are plentiful. Prices are in line with a restaurant of this quality. They recently added a "Family Style" offering for Thursday nights at the community table in the middle of the restaurant. Can't wait to try that out but understand it gets booked pretty quickly. Highly recommend!!

1 Thank UTCFan
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Hoping for so much more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We've lived near Chattanooga for a little over a year & having been wanting to try Alleia.
My husband & I went tonight, and won't return. The restaurant is beautiful and our service was fantastic. We had hand dipped ricotta bruschetta for an appetizer, which was very good.
My husband ordered the wood fired pork shoulder which was good, but $19 for a serving of pork with potatoes & cabbage is a little pricey.
I was hoping for a good Italian meal & ordered ricotta ravioli. The sauce was bland & some of the ravioli was crunchy.
We each had a glass of average wine for $9 & $10.
We love trying new places & don't mind paying extra for a good meal. This place is overpriced with average food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank run4lori
Tennessee
“Chattanooga has many better choices!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I went once last year, did not like it. Decided to try Alleia again and I still do not like it!
It is difficult to write a negative report, but sometimes, I just have to.

The ambiance of Alleia reminds me of Tuscany. Beautiful, rustic surroundings.
I do not remember what I had for dinner last year, just remember asking the server for parmesan cheese to sprinkle over my pasta. He said to me, " I can do that, but we charge $1.50 for cheese. I told him to charge me and go get the cheese! That moment has remained with me!!

Have not been back since, until last week. Lovely table, not far from the window to the street.
Our server gave us the menu and we ordered our cocktails. She brought the drinks and disappeared. When she finally returned, we ordered our dinner choices. Right after she took our order and left, we heard the server at the next table reviewing the 3 specials for the night. We had not been informed about any specials, but too late. We did not see her to find out what they were.

Our salads came, and I do have to say, my choice was delicious. Organic soybean salad, with pine nut pesto and a light vinaigrette dressing.

We then noticed tables around us all had bread and olive oil. We had none. We flagged another server down and asked for bread.

My entree selection was the Angel Hair pasta with gulf shrimp, soffrito and tomatoes. It lacked in taste, so I did ask for some parmesan cheese for the top. No charge this time!!

One of the people eating with us ordered 2 scoops of gelato for desert. We waited 10 minutes and the desert never came. Ice cream should not take that long. We got the attention of the server and canceled the desert. We were ready to go! With the bill, also came the desert, that had been taken off the bill. We did try to send it back, but too late, since it has been served. It remained off the bill.

Chattanooga now has so many outstanding choices of dining options, I suggest looking at other restaurants first.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank queeni_traveler
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Fantastic Service and Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have read some of the other reviews for this restaurant, but I must say, I believe you get exactly what you pay for. The food is 100% made in house, down to the pasta. I had a Coco Tesoro cocktail, which was delightful. My main course was the braised short rib with smoked corn risotto. Delicious! The service is not like you would get from say a Chilis or Applebees, so I hope no one complains about the service because it isn't a "chain" restaurant. The service is fantastic as everyone helps everyone, and I would highly recommend Alleia to anyone who has time to sit and enjoy a nice relaxing meal. It is not a fast paced place, so only go if you have time to enjoy what you're going go get!

• Visited July 2013