“Authentic Cajun”

Dining options: Reservations
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Authentic Cajun”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Blue Orleans is a Chattanooga gem located across Market Street from the Chattanooga Choo Choo. They have the typical Cajun selections you would expect, gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, etc. They also have creole style seafood. Portions are fair for the price. These folks are actually from New Orleans. They used to sell their cuisine at the New Orleans airport, but left the city in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. They do a fair business, but I feel they would do even better is they were closer to downtown. Having said that, it's my understanding that the south side where they're currently located has many changes that will occur in the very near future which will make this part of the city more attractive.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DealScout

pisgah, al
“Great Southern taste! Wow! You must try it!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Blue Orleans is located just across the road from the Chattanooga Choo and is in great proximity to all the action of Downtown, Chattanooga. Great food and great atmosphere! A must try when you are in Chattanooga.

• Visited January 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great NOLA food in Chattanooga”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I never would have believed that you could get authentic New Orleans cuisine this close to home, and in Chattanooga! The owners moved there after the hurricane and decided to stay. Good news for those craving creole and obviously good for the owners too. Menu items are as tasty if not better than that in the French Quarter. The service, décor, and location is also excellent. Be sure and try the gumbo and beignets. The menu also features po boys, alligator, and other unique bayou delights. Located just outside the historic Choo-Choo Hotel it is great for visitors/tourists.

• Visited January 2014
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Tasty southern food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We landed here when another nearby restaurant was overflowing. With a party of 10, it can take awhile to get seated anywhere on a Friday evening. The Blue Orleans had room for us and we happily sat down to a pleasant evening. The service was pleasant if a bit disorganized but we did get everything we ordered. At my end of the table, we started with the Fried Green Tomatoes and the Gater Bites. This was my first time trying alligator and while a bit chewy (probably the nature of the meat), I did find the dish flavorful. The tomatoes were a bit of a letdown being mushy and little seasoning in the batter -- not bad but not the best I've had. For my entree, I had the Shrimp & Grits which was a nice spicy dish. The grits were drier than I'm used to but I realize that regional differences mean that grits can be anything from a mushy affair to what I had here. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the seasoning wonderful. Around the table, everyone seemed to order something different and overall the consensus was that the food was good. One thing to note -- there was a special order at the table and the kitchen had trouble accommodating the request. If you order what is on the menu -- you'll get what you expect. If you have a special request, don't be surprised if what is delivered is not what was requested. I will say though that our waitress did work to resolve the issue.

All in all, this was a pleasant experience and I would eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
“Really expected more for what we paid”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We walked in and were asked to wait to be seated which was fine but it was 15 minutes before we were seated and there were several empty tables. The appetizer we wanted they were out of which happens but it was still disappointing. We ordered our food and I was looking around and noticed they were microwaving my husband dinner, which was the shrimpalaya and they also microwaved the mashed potatoes one of us had ordered. I just expected more for a $50 meal.

• Visited August 2013