Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Chattanooga-Lookout Mountain
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Needing a place to rest halfway to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving, we chose this Holiday Inn Express. My husband and I had thoroughly enjoyed our stays at HIEs before, and this one was no different. The room (shared with two young children) was a little on the small side, though. There was no real closet, just an extension onto the entertainment center (more like a wardrobe). Tucking away our coats in this unusual place almost resulted in us (okay, me) forgetting them. But breakfast made up for all of that! The entire eating area was kept immaculate and all of the food was kept fresh and plentiful. The cinnamon rolls were fabulous, and there were several choices of other breakfast breads, as well as patty sausage and gravy. The eggs were surprisingly good and well-seasoned. The coffee was relatively weak, but there were other beverage choices, such as tea, hot cocoa, juice and milk. There was a variety of yogurt also. And did I mention the cinnamon rolls? With clean rooms to stay in and a great breakfast to help us on our way, this HIE is definitely one to check out.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DurhamMama

Reviewed 4 November 2008

I've stayed at a few Holiday Inn Express hotels, and although this one wasn't the newest, it was fine. My room with a king bed also had a reclining chair, which was nice. My only problem, which was pretty gross, was that there was dried feces on the front of the commode. It was pretty obvious, so I'm not sure how the cleaning staff could have overlooked it, and I therefore worried about how tidy the rest of the room actually was. Breakfast was great, as is the case at Holiday Inn Express hotels.

The hotel is a short distance to downtown Chattanooga, as well as the Lookout Mountain attractions (Ruby Falls, Rock City, Incline Railway). I decided to go to Rock City based on time allowed and a recommendation from the front desk. I would NOT recommend others go. A steep admission fee ($16) didn't yield an entertaining time. All you do is walk around rock paths. There is also a small pen with deer, which was not advertised on any of the literature. As someone who does not patronize places that needlessly exploit animals, I was not happy when I came across the "exhibit." Trust me, it seemed as if the deer were an after-thought and added absolutely nothing to the experience.

I would likely stay at this hotel again, but I would check out the room in detail before settling in.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank thompskr
Reviewed 21 October 2008

The location was great, but unlike the last HIX I we stayed in, this was a little older. The room we had was not very clean. The bathroom was pretty mildewy. The grout on the floor was pretty much black. I knew it wasn't supposed to be because it was white under the sink. Even the wallpaper had mildew/mold. I wasn't surprised that this happened because there was no fan in the bathroom. The carpet was probably dirty as well. The pool was half dark because only half the lights worked.

The staff seemed friendly, and the breakfast was good.

1  Thank jcoldc
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Short and sweet...competent, efficient and friendly desk staff. Quick and accurate check in. Rooms as well as the rest of the hotel in excellent shape...clean, well maintained, etc. Outstanding breakfast bar-cinnamon rolls, perfectly cooked bacon, scrambled and boiled eggs, biscuits (OK, not made from scratch, but not bad), decent gravy, fruit, juices, milk, yogurt, pastries, breads, delicious coffee, etc. The gentleman and lady working the breakfast area this morning kept everything well stocked, counters and tables wiped down, and were very polite.
If you need directions or help choosing a local restaurant, check with AJ or Josh and you might even score a nice appetizer coupon.

Overall, having booked 3 rooms for 1 night, and 1 room for 2 nights, my entire family group, varying in ages from 13-86, were extremely satisfied with our visit to this Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed 5 October 2008

Very, very clean hotel. Good location. Breakfast was very good: bacon, eggs, biscuits, donuts, toast, cinnamon rolls, coffee, etc. Quiet area. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2008

This was a little family vacation getaway with our 2 young kids. We booked a room with 2 queen beds and it was enough room and did fine. It had a mini fridge, which was nice for cold drinks. I had read other reviews that complained about the tv not coming in clearly and we had no problems whatsoever with the reception. We stayed 3 nights and it was great the whole time we were there.
The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, especially AJ (I think). He was there when we checked in and gave us recommendations for food and shopping and also gave us coupons. We needed batteries for our remote control and we got those no problem.
Our kids loved the pool, we had it to ourselves both times we were in there. It isn't real big, but since we were the only ones in it, it was perfect. Nice warm water and LOTS of towels on the chairs to use.
I rated this above average because of the included breakfast. It had yogurt, a couple of different kinds including Activia, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Raisan Bran, cinnamon rolls, sausage or bacon (they switch every other day), eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, 3 kinds of donuts, 3 kinds of mini-muffins, bagels, bread, apple and orange juice, and coffee (french roast or decaf) with about 4 different flavors of coffee creamer. So it was more than just a cold breakfast. We ate there every morning. The cinnamon rolls were okay, but I didn't see why other reviewers raved over them.
There is a Cracker Barrel right across the street, and a Taco Bell also. Just down the road is Wal-Mart, Sonic, Wendy's, a Chinese buffet place, and a couple of others I can't think of. It was in a nice location and only about 10-15 min from downtown. They also have a late check out time of 12:00.
We would definitely stay there again!

Reviewed 4 October 2008

We stayed at HI Express on Lookout Mountain for a weekend getaway and it was wonderful! The check-in process was smooth and our room was very clean. Breakfast was great and all of the staff were friendly. The hotel is conveniently located close to most of the Chattanooga tourist attractions (Ruby Falls, Rock City, etc) and is just a short drive from downtown. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable, and convenient stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family