“Second and definitely last trip”

Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #32 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Spent a weekend at the hotel with my husband - our second visit & it will definitely be our last. Minor niggles included that the bath plug leaked so the bath wouldn't fill & they didn't replace our shampoo - i.e. one miniature shampoo was apparently supposed to last 2 people for 2 nights. The final straw was that we left an iPhone charger in the room & when I phoned the hotel the same evening to ask for its return I was told to call back the following morning when housekeeping was open. I called back the following morning & was transferred to housekeeping's voicemail. I left a message which was not returned. I called back again in the late afternoon & was told to call back in 2 days time as the housekeeper was away! When I pointed out that I just wanted my charger back they put me on hold for a long time then said they would charge my credit card to FedEx it back. I asked what it would cost & they couldn't tell me. Pretty shabby for a hotel that had already charged us well over $400 for 2 nights.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arden26
Daniel M, General Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2014

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Chattanooga in April. I am sorry to hear that you did not have an excellent experience. We greatly value hearing from our guests about their experiences. This information helps us to focus our attention on the areas of our operation where we have an opportunity to improve our services and facilities.

I will address the issues you mentioned in your survey with the appropriate departments.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I got this hotel on a app for a discounted rate. Only paying $80.00 the original price being $179.00. The rooms did have coffee in room with refrigerator. Did not have cream/sugar or stir straws. None of the trash cans had bags which we found unsanitary and odd. Also our ice bucket was not empty from previous occupancy. TV was decently sized for the room. Vanity area could be larger with more counter space due to women getting ready :) no pens or paper tabs or a hotel/area guide. This was our second room which we were transferred to as the first room side bed lamp was broken. No continental breakfast as their is a Bistro on-site but for the price of room we expected something along morning breakfast to be offered, even something limited and small.

Parking situation was odd, as the parking structure was next door but had no connection with the hotel which lead to walking in weather conditions... so unpack your cars before parking! Parking is $8

The pros were, the beds were comfortable and pillows were both firm and soft for your taste. Hallway noise was to a minimum. We were in room 619 with a "RIVER VIEW" which you could see the river but mostly parking lot and TN Aquarium. Hotel staff was very friendly and inviting and informative to area attractions. We would recommend hotel for convenience but not for the regular staying price. Would stay again, but ONLY at a discounted price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joshua D
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a large group attending a conference at the University and chose to book with the Courtyard. The staff was very patient with our changing rooming arrangements and offered to help with anything we needed. They were able to add rooms last minute to compensate for some late additions. Parking wasn't the most convenient for the hotel itself, but everything we needed was in walking distance once parked.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2014

If you are looking for a location close to the "it" spots in downtown Chattanooga, this place will serve you well. It is right across the street from the TN Aquarium and several other locations that families will want to check out. The lobby is updated and the staff in the hotel is super friendly. There is a nice outdoor area near the bar that has a fire pit.

Once you get out of the lobby the hotel was a little disappointing. The carpeting in the hallways and rooms appears old. Despite an active housekeeping staff who was working hard, the carpets kept a dirty appearance. This includes the room. We kept the kids on the bed when we were in the room. The bedding was outdated and looked different than any other Courtyard that I have stayed at.

The Bistro downstairs was crazy expensive to feed out family of 4. We spent $40 for a small breakfast on our last morning there. Make the trip to the Riverfront and check out the Blue Plate. You will find a better selection and price.

We loved our trip to Chattanooga, but we will choose a different location to stay next time. The location and updated lobby doesn't make up for the outdated rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank theLaramyGregory
ChattanoogaCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for choosing our property for your visit to Chattanooga, TN. Our location is ideal for restaurants and local attractions. I am sorry to hear that the condition of our hotel was unsatisfactory. We are working to get an update soon. I hope this does not deter you from visiting us again. Thanks again for your feedback!

Debbie Reed Guest Services Manager
Courtyard by Marriott, Chattanooga, TN

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Been traveling for a while and this was the first time at a Courtyard by Marriott location. Checking in was quick, parking out front limited and the parking garage was not attached directly to the hotel so unload before you park. Room was very clean and fresh, we had a balcony but being on the front second floor we only had a view of the roof on the front of hotel. Lots of places to see and eat within easy walking distance, be sure to check out the Tennessee Aquariam and riverfront area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I don't get to travel a lot, and I never stayed at a Marriott before. I met up with my sister in Chattanooga for a weekend and chose this hotel for its proximity to restaurants and activities. It was literally right across the street from the Tennessee Aquarium and a block down from the riverfront. Everyone I dealt with at the hotel was friendly and helpful (Niko at check-in especially). The balcony was small, but that's all right, and when they say "river view", you can see the river but mostly you see the aquarium parking lot and another building. I would stay there again, but I probably wouldn't pay for the river view room. Also, parking is awkward, the deck is next to the hotel, but there's no way to get from the deck to the hotel. You have to leave the deck, which exits into a shuttle terminal, and then walk down the block to the entrance. That was annoying, and sketchy at 1 in the morning. Also, the parking attendant needs your name and room number every time you leave the deck, but it's still only the $8 the hotel charges for parking, otherwise it could get expensive if you plan to leave the deck and return.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a river view unless you want a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ChattanoogaCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Maureen,

Thank you for choosing our Courtyard by Marriott for your visit to Chattanooga, TN. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to give us feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our riverview room. The Aquarium does separate us from the river, and usually the higher floors have the better views. If you decide to return and stay with us again, I will personally make sure you have a higher floor. Thanks again!

Debbie Reed
Guest Services Manager
debbie.reed@marriott.com

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Really impressed with the direction and progress of downtown Chattanooga as far as its transition towards becoming a "destination", but hotel was a couple of steps behind. Great lobby, could obviously see the desire to provide a higher end experience but rooms came up way short. Rooms showed wear and tear inconsistent with what I think their goals are.

Staff were great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
ChattanoogaCourtyard, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear John,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us feedback! Chattanooga has grown quite a bit. I am sorry you felt our guest rooms were unsatisfactory. I hope this does not deter from returning to our property!

Debbie Reed Guest Services Manager