“Great location, clean rooms, good service... but several small details add up to make a "very good" hotel just "average"”

Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #25 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I really wanted to give this hotel a better rating but several little problems added up to make it an average stay.

The good: I had a corner room with 3 large windows instead of the typical 1 window. My room had views of the riverfront and aquarium. Great location! Nice views! The room was clean and large; I had 2 queens and a couch. I slept really well. The bathroom is spacious. Staff is nice, friendly, and helpful. Free internet.

The bad: My TV wouldn't turn on (it was just dead batteries in the remote). I called and the houseman was up in 10-15 mins with a new remote. He was very nice and helpful. When I got ready for bed, the alarm clock would not set and the phone beside my bed had no dial tone for me to call for a new clock or wake up call, so I just gave up. The smoke detector was kind of hanging from the wall, and the bed frames were sticking out from the beds pretty far (I'm sure it would hurt really badly if you hit that in the middle of the night!)

The parking gargage isn't attached to the hotel, so it is a little walk...not good with luggage :( Drop your luggage off first maybe.

I would stay here again, and I would recommend this hotel to others because I feel like the little details are fixable and probably just coincidence...hopefully. I would give them another try because of the great location and staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank cjr83

Reviewed 14 December 2010

I only stayed for one night, but this courtyard was one I could see myself getting pretty comfortable in over the course of a longer stay. The lobby is brand new and very nice. There is a starbucks in the hotel, which made breakfast nice and easy. Initially the rates seemed a bit steep (for a courtyard) at $190 per night; however, my AAA card got us approx. 20% off.
The room I stayed in was a large corner room with big windows facing the aquarium (I think) and the IMAX Theater. The rooms are slightly dated; however, they seem to be well kept despite some inevitable wear and tear. The bathroom and sink area are tiny and cramped - but again, seemed to be well cared for and relatively clean. The gym was clean and spacious, with aerobic equipment featuring individual televisions, a big flat screen, weights, and even a couple of workout DVDs.
The front desk was friendly and accommodating during our short stay. The price is right (if you can find a discount), there is a good fitness center, and the rooms were comfortable and clean. I will definitely consider staying in this hotel for my next trip to Chattanooga.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank FussyNewEnglander
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stayed at this hotel the for a week while my son who goes to boarding school in town was recovering from emergency surgery. My son and I were treated like we were members of the staff's family! Everyone we met was so kind and helpful, especially Mr. Carter at the front desk who ran to go get my car for me at three am. when my son needed to go back to the hospital. He also gave me a room on the second floor directly across from the elevator so my son would not have to walk far to get into bed. Thank you again Mr Carter!!!!!
The hotel has been very recently redecorated and is very cool looking. Our room was clean and comfortable, and I don't think I could have survived that week without the Starbucks Coffee downstairs. The hotel is in a safe part of town, easy walk to all museums but Hunter Art Museum. You are literally across the street from the aquarium, very handy if you are visiting with small children.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We took a 2 night getaway to visit Rock City/Lookout Mountain. We had no reservations for our second night, so we made several phone calls to the downtown Marriott inquiring about parking fees, swimming pool, etc. Each time we called, the hotel staff was extremely friendly and more than happy to answer our questions. We decided to stay even after being informed of construction in the hotel. Hotel staff was great when we arrived; we were checked in very fast and directed to the parking structure next door.
Parking is very convenient to the hotel, easy access in and out. Our biggest disappointment was the hotel swimming pool/hot tub. We specifically stayed here because it offered these amenities but due to the construction the hotel entrance was located right beside the pool area and the windows are completly open to everyone who enters the hotel. We were looking forward to relaxing in the pool area but it was uncomfortable due to the construction entrance so we never used the pool/hot tub.
Hotel room was semi -small, including the bathroom area, but ok for a short stay. Hotel overall seemed fairly clean considering the major construction, except house keeping must have forgot to dust our room, which made cleanliness questionable.
Hotel is in a great location, close to restaurants and the aquarium, all within walking distance. We got a decent rate so overall we were pleased with our stayed, just disappointed with a few minor things.
We were told construction was to be completed in November for anyone who is visiting soon!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed here Oct. 16 for one night on a free certificate from our Marriott Rewards ticket. The staff was apologetic about the construction, and a complimentary breakfast was offered at a nearby sister location (hot buffet--fine for us). The location was great, the room fine, and our request to have a view (a vague request, but she gave us a nice view over the ballpark and into the mountain close by). Interesting to me that Chattanooga has lots of restaurants and bars downtown, but not really any other shops (gift, clothing).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Stayed there for the weekend and was dissatisfied. How they can charge $200 per night with no loby, no gym. We had to go to another hotel for breakfast with kids. I understand that they are construction, but they shouldn't charge $200 a day. $100 is a fair price. I am going to call Marriott and complain. I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I don't typically write reviews but I think this hotel merits it. I paid $179 for a night in Chattanooga, TN and therefore expected at minimum a nice, clean, comfortable room. What I got was an old room which at the time of reservation they claim to have been updated (maybe in the 90s.) and a very uncomfortable bed which caused me such discomfort that I had to request for another room in the middle of the night. If I paid half the price, then the room would have been worth the money. Furthermore, I was not notified that the hotel was under going construction at the time of reservation and the only amenity to which you would have access is the elevator and a very dodgy-looking swimming pool.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple