“Friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Our second stay here and just as good as the first. Staff are friendly and accommodations are neat, clean and comfortable. It is Spartan, but that's all we needed.Security is good and accessing Pad is easy with the keyless entry. My fellow traveler says "best fun ever".

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have a reservation for next weekend here, and I tried to stop by this evening to make sure I could find my way there. After circling the area for half an hour while my GPS insisted "I had arrived at my destnation" I pulled into an area parking lot and called to ask for help...and got a voice mail! I left a message asking for help, circled for a while longer, and then gave up and left. This was before 6pm...if the business hours are 11-8, is it unreasonable to think that a live person would answer the phone? I wanted to come in, see the place before my stay next weekend, but I was so frustrated this evening I was ready to cancel my reservation...except for losing that non-refundable deposit. I *think* I found it, in an area with road construction, but again, I'm not sure, and couldn't reach anyone to verify. I'm waiting to see if I get a phone call tomorrow, and I hope this isn't an omen for next Friday...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Hi Amanda, sincere apologies for your experience last night. Our general manager just left you a voicemail with his personal contact in case you need anything. We do our best to answer the phone every time but it is challenging with a full house checking in to not get pulled away from the desk many times during the shift. I'm sorry again that we missed you, especially when you were just trying to find the place.

The road construction is a major headache that is unfortunately out of our hands - the project is taking months longer than expected and our private parking lot is completely cut off right now. We're working on leasing a portion of the lot right in front of the hostel (we don't own it) so that we can hold spots for our guests. We have also looked into signage out on Main Street, but we are officially not allowed to put any kind of signage on the sidewalks out there. I know this doesn't help your issue from last night, but we're trying to find creative solutions to make the hostel easier to find.

Please let us know if we can do anything for you before your stay. I sincerely hope you have a good stay next weekend and aren't coming just because you feel like you have to. If you decide against it, we will absolutely refund your deposit.

Thanks,
Dan

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've never stayed in a hostel and I've never really wanted to. So when I visited Chattanooga, what made me stay at Crash Pad? They have private rooms and it's a very sustainably built facility next to a brewery. At $70/night, I anticipated a casual yet clean and eco-friendly type hotel, stumbling distance from the bar. Unfortunately I didn't encounter any other guests during my one-night stay, and the air conditioning seemed to be on a timer to turn OFF during the night, showing a temp of 86 degrees in my room. No one was at the front desk and I didn't try to call anyone. No way to open windows. I slept on and off maybe 2 or 3 hours total. Check out was a stiff 11am and I didn't ask the front desk girl if they would let me stay longer to sleep in. I did tell her about the air issue and she said she would make note of it and hopefully next time I stayed it would be better. :/ One cool thing I would've liked to take advantage of if I wasn't in such a hurry to go find a good coffee shop was the make-your-own-breakfast with provided goods in the kitchen. It would have been fun to meet a couple people too, but I seemed to be the only guest around.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Hi NashvilleScooterTour, thanks for your feedback, and sincere apologies for your uncomfortable stay. Your comment was passed on to us immediately and we had someone come out to fix the a/c - I know this doesn't help your ruined night's sleep but we do take guests' feedback seriously, and you saved the next guest from having the same issue.

We still have really slow nights sometimes, and I'm sorry that there wasn't anyone else around to liven up the hostel scene. We're working on beefing up business on the slow nights but despite our efforts, it's just taking time to build a strong weeknight crowd (am I wrong in thinking you stayed on a weeknight?).

I truly wish you had reached out to the staff during your stay. Of course you shouldn't have to, because everything should be running smoothly anyway, especially the a/c. No fault but ours that the place isn't running right. That said, we would absolutely have come out to try to fix it as soon as it was a problem, helped you get the window open, and would definitely have let you sleep in past the 11am check-out.

If you give us another chance, your stay is on us. If not, we understand, and thanks again for giving us feedback so that we're better equipped to anticipate/fix these problems in the future.

Safe travels,
Dan

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed at the Crash Pad in Chattanooga while there for an open water swim. The facilities were great, and the staff was very helpful. It's also located in a really cool part of town that is within walking distance of several art galleries and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MarshallA52
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There was a minor issue we ran into with a double booking for our reservation. The customer service was flawless and they did everything to make the situation better. Could not say enough good things about this place. They now have The Flying Squirrel next door which makes this property the only place you need to go if you're making a quick trip through the city. Great environment, great location, great architecture, great job.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2013

we were on a family trip and wanted to go to chattanoga tn,we were thinking of the mariott or the chattanogan,but decided to stay at the crash pad.The place was amazing,but the best part was the staff.When you walked in all the staff would greet you and show you around the place.They had a great lobby,buisnness center,libary,kitchen and gift shop,where we buyed some nice glasses.We got a privite room on the 1st floor and was not lucxiorias,but comfortable.The garden was also a breeze,with a great firepit.For everybody looking for a comfortable,clean,cheep,good hotel,i would recomand this place.Its also the most green hotel in the country.

Room Tip: Get a privite room so you sleep better and you dont heart people walking down the hall.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The Crash Pad is not just a place to stay, it's an experience you want to have! The facilities are impressive, especially considering the reasonable price for a stay. The place is always clean and the entire operation is super green (LEED platinum certified). The Commons room includes an open kitchen with coffee makers and cooking gear, a "living room" with sitting spaces and access to a library aimed at outdoor pursuits and other local attractions, and there are a couple of high-quality computer workstations that guests are welcome to use. There are also outlets for your laptop, and an open wifi network that actually works!

The thing that makes the place so amazing, though, is the staff. These guys are on their A game at all times. They get to know their guests and make everyone feel welcome as soon as they step into The Crash Pad. The guided tours of the bunk rooms (kept quiet during sleepy times), gear rooms (big enough to store boats and bikes) and wash rooms (shared, but with plenty of privacy) give guests the confidence they need to make themselves at home, but the guys are there when guests have questions or leave their pass cards (security keys) in the back rooms.

If you're planning a trip to or through Chattanooga, The Crash Pad is your best bet for base camp. Breakfast is served bright and early, and the coffee is on tap all day. There is even a selection of local beers available in the Commons for an enjoyable evening after a day of adventure on the rocks or around town. AND! The Flying Squirrel, a new neighborhood bar owned and operated by the same folks who created The Crash Pad, is set to launch in the summer of 2013 just across the patio.

Room Tip: Ask for a top bunk to take a trip back to your childhood.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo