“Cute Chattanooga hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Miyazaki, Japan
“Cute Chattanooga hostel”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

A great hostel located in a convenient part of town. Lots of people go there for rock climbing and outdoorsing, but I just went for general sightseeing around Chattanooga and it was still super. Located just a few minutes from a free electric shuttle, you can easily get downtown. The breakfast in the morning was great, since free breakfast is always great, and the hostel facilities are awesome-- even in the dorms. Very safe place, and super cute.

It IS a bit hard to find, though, so maybe the hostel staff could put out a sign on W Main St., directing you to the hostel?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bgawne27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 December 2013

It may be that I am not a big fan of hostels, but this was a somewhat disappointing visit. The structure is very striking and the hostel is clean, but there was a lot of noise from the bar or restaurant next door late into the night and early morning, and for me it was a marginally comfortable experience. Staff was very friendly however.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank P G
John Y, General Manager at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Hey there P G,

First off, thanks so much for staying with us.

Second, I'm very sorry that your experience here at The Crash Pad wasn't the best it could be. Did you voice your concern to any of our hostel staff? If so, then I'm doubly sorry that our staff didn't remedy your concern to your satisfaction.

If you'd like to give us another shot, we'd love for you to stay in one of our private rooms, on us. Just send me a private message and we'll work it out from there. If not, then no worries and we greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and hope to see you soon,
John Ying
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Our second stay here and just as good as the first. Staff are friendly and accommodations are neat, clean and comfortable. It is Spartan, but that's all we needed.Security is good and accessing Pad is easy with the keyless entry. My fellow traveler says "best fun ever".

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I have a reservation for next weekend here, and I tried to stop by this evening to make sure I could find my way there. After circling the area for half an hour while my GPS insisted "I had arrived at my destnation" I pulled into an area parking lot and called to ask for help...and got a voice mail! I left a message asking for help, circled for a while longer, and then gave up and left. This was before 6pm...if the business hours are 11-8, is it unreasonable to think that a live person would answer the phone? I wanted to come in, see the place before my stay next weekend, but I was so frustrated this evening I was ready to cancel my reservation...except for losing that non-refundable deposit. I *think* I found it, in an area with road construction, but again, I'm not sure, and couldn't reach anyone to verify. I'm waiting to see if I get a phone call tomorrow, and I hope this isn't an omen for next Friday...

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Hi Amanda, sincere apologies for your experience last night. Our general manager just left you a voicemail with his personal contact in case you need anything. We do our best to answer the phone every time but it is challenging with a full house checking in to not get pulled away from the desk many times during the shift. I'm sorry again that we missed you, especially when you were just trying to find the place.

The road construction is a major headache that is unfortunately out of our hands - the project is taking months longer than expected and our private parking lot is completely cut off right now. We're working on leasing a portion of the lot right in front of the hostel (we don't own it) so that we can hold spots for our guests. We have also looked into signage out on Main Street, but we are officially not allowed to put any kind of signage on the sidewalks out there. I know this doesn't help your issue from last night, but we're trying to find creative solutions to make the hostel easier to find.

Please let us know if we can do anything for you before your stay. I sincerely hope you have a good stay next weekend and aren't coming just because you feel like you have to. If you decide against it, we will absolutely refund your deposit.

Thanks,
Dan
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've never stayed in a hostel and I've never really wanted to. So when I visited Chattanooga, what made me stay at Crash Pad? They have private rooms and it's a very sustainably built facility next to a brewery. At $70/night, I anticipated a casual yet clean and eco-friendly type hotel, stumbling distance from the bar. Unfortunately I didn't encounter any other guests during my one-night stay, and the air conditioning seemed to be on a timer to turn OFF during the night, showing a temp of 86 degrees in my room. No one was at the front desk and I didn't try to call anyone. No way to open windows. I slept on and off maybe 2 or 3 hours total. Check out was a stiff 11am and I didn't ask the front desk girl if they would let me stay longer to sleep in. I did tell her about the air issue and she said she would make note of it and hopefully next time I stayed it would be better. :/ One cool thing I would've liked to take advantage of if I wasn't in such a hurry to go find a good coffee shop was the make-your-own-breakfast with provided goods in the kitchen. It would have been fun to meet a couple people too, but I seemed to be the only guest around.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Hi NashvilleScooterTour, thanks for your feedback, and sincere apologies for your uncomfortable stay. Your comment was passed on to us immediately and we had someone come out to fix the a/c - I know this doesn't help your ruined night's sleep but we do take guests' feedback seriously, and you saved the next guest from having the same issue.

We still have really slow nights sometimes, and I'm sorry that there wasn't anyone else around to liven up the hostel scene. We're working on beefing up business on the slow nights but despite our efforts, it's just taking time to build a strong weeknight crowd (am I wrong in thinking you stayed on a weeknight?).

I truly wish you had reached out to the staff during your stay. Of course you shouldn't have to, because everything should be running smoothly anyway, especially the a/c. No fault but ours that the place isn't running right. That said, we would absolutely have come out to try to fix it as soon as it was a problem, helped you get the window open, and would definitely have let you sleep in past the 11am check-out.

If you give us another chance, your stay is on us. If not, we understand, and thanks again for giving us feedback so that we're better equipped to anticipate/fix these problems in the future.

Safe travels,
Dan
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed at the Crash Pad in Chattanooga while there for an open water swim. The facilities were great, and the staff was very helpful. It's also located in a really cool part of town that is within walking distance of several art galleries and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MarshallA52
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There was a minor issue we ran into with a double booking for our reservation. The customer service was flawless and they did everything to make the situation better. Could not say enough good things about this place. They now have The Flying Squirrel next door which makes this property the only place you need to go if you're making a quick trip through the city. Great environment, great location, great architecture, great job.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends