“Wonderful stay!”

The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We loved staying at The Crash Pad. My husband and I booked the Chatt Room (private room with a queen bed, sink, couch, desk, desk chair and chest of drawers) for four nights (Sun-Wed).

The hall bathrooms were very clean and plenty big, even with just two stalls, two sinks and two showers each. We never had to wait our turn. The kitchen could get a little tight in the morning but was stocked with everything we needed, plus DIY breakfast ingredients (eggs, bread, coffee, jam, peanut butter, etc.).

The outdoor patio was a nice size, and it was a great way to enjoy the hostel in less cramped quarters than the main commons area. I imagine it can get a little noisy (and/or fun) on nights when the Flying Squirrel bar next door is hopping.

The staff was super friendly and helpful, always around if you needed their help with figuring out where something was in the city, advice on the best food around or getting a beer from the fridge.

While the hostel caters to climbers with guide books and its general atmosphere, we found that its location just off Main Street and Market Street and between two bike share transit stations was perfect for getting into town, hitting Lookout Mountain, or anything we wanted to see. We also loved that the building is LEED Platinum, with plaques throughout explaining how it has been constructed and operates to be as green as possible.

The decor is modern and minimal, using green materials and art by locals that celebrates Chattanooga's wealth of activities and beauty.

The only tiny quibbles: our room was on the second floor, and if I'd realized that ahead of time, I probably would've packed my belongings in a backpack rather than a rolling bag. Also, the hostel shares a free parking lot with the Flying Squirrel, so one night we couldn't find parking except on the street. Still, these are totally minor.

We had a lovely stay, and would definitely book a room at The Crash Pad again. This hostel is part of a really exciting movement that is happening in Chattanooga right now, and staying here makes you feel a part of it.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues, you might want to call to make sure you get a room downstairs, as t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We were due to stay here for 2 nights but extended to 3 because we felt so at home here! The staff were great - Bethyn was so friendly and helpful, and all of the crash pad workers really could not do enough to help you out.

We stayed in the mixed dorm, Beds were massive and the curtains across the beds made it feel quite private. Would definitely recommend bottom bunk. Really great breakfast too, would 100% stay again. Thanks so much Crash Pad staff!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We loved staying at the Crash Pad, the staff was so friendly, very clean, and well done. I will highly recommend this place to all. Lots to do in the area, went for a bike ride around the city in the morning. Good times!

Room Tip: We choose a private room, but I could totally do a bunk bed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've stayed here twice. Amazing facilities and the loveliest staff at any place I've ever stayed (hotel, motel, hostel, etc). In some ways it's bare bones (it's a hostel, after all), but it's also state of the art. I'm constantly recommending this place. We aren't even climbers, but we still stay here every time. Plus, the other people who come here are cool. And the Flying Squirrel next door is great. I'm a big fan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I was on a 4000 miles motorcycle trip and got rained on hard. Decided that camping wasn't happening and stayed here.

The staff was courteous and friendly, the facilities were spotless, the beds private and comfortable.

The bar next door was not a nuisance in the slightest and delivered us some truly delicious food inside of the crash pad.

I met some great people and really enjoyed my stay here. Absolutely reccomend it, will be coming back if I ever come through Chattanooga again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Davide D
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Which at first I thought was the best concept ever, you know, stumble right home after a night out. But then, even though we were in a private room, it was loud as hell. Not only could we hear all the yelling, laughing and singing of happy birthday from the Flying Squirrel bar tables outside, we heard people come in talking at 1:00, 2:00, and at 3 I finally got up and got us both earplugs. Could still hear people. This happened for 2 nights straight- couldn't wait to get home and get some sleep. They have signs up that say "Shhh, assume people are sleeping." but I don't think anyone saw them or cared- should probably verbally be reinforced by the staff. Noise came directly through the vent which is right beside your head in the bed.
Nice digs for a hostel (green build and nice design) but pricey for a private room and others have been more respectful in other hostels I've stayed in.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jengw
Dan R, Owner at The Crash Pad: An Uncommon Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was working at the bar that night and rushed to silence their group when they were singing and yelling outside. I also pulled their leader aside as they were leaving, and implored him to please keep his group in the common area if they were going to stay up and hang out. Obviously they didn't listen, or care. We can take every measure but sometimes the message just doesn't get through - it is part of the orientation tour to mention the quiet hours and the idea that someone is probably always sleeping in the back, and we also had a much more direct talk about it right before they headed back from the bar, all for nothing.

After reading your review, we talked about requiring large groups staying in the bunks to also reserve the private rooms on that floor, so that no one in your position will have their trip ruined by noise again. Hopefully this is the right fix. It's a work in progress but moving in the right direction.

If you don't mind emailing us with the name your reservation was under, we'll issue a full refund. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We also greatly appreciate the feedback, as it got us thinking about things we can do to make sure this doesn't happen again. So thanks, and sorry again. If you ever give us another shot, your stay is on us.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hostel is better than most of the hotels I've stayed in. It's extremely well thought-out. Everything fits in perfectly. The architecture, the people, the vibe...

The staff are really friendly and helpful. They'll help you with all of your questions. There's free wifi, a nice breakfast. It's truly one of the best traveling experiences I've had in my life. I wish everyone there the best.

It's definitely worth checking out the list of places that will give you a discount for staying at the Crash Pad.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends