“Wonderful staff”

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed at the Chattanoogan for over a month on business. The staff became my family. They couldn't have been nicer, more accommodating or more "Get it doners". The did everything to make my stay feel like home from moving my room (after checking out for 3 days and not being able to get the room I wanted) to letting me hang bird feeders on their beautiful trees in the front of the hotel. I had a special housekeeper, LaTonya, who kept my room just the way I liked it. The restaurant staff always remembered I like a shot of espresso in my morning coffee. The front desk fixed any problems with any of the rooms I was responsible for. And the conference staff could not have done anything better, always a "Yes, we can do that."
Only two negatives: The balsamic dressing was horrible. For a hotel of this caliber to have (what tasted like) bottled dressings is unacceptable. 2) The business center should have a copier and a fax machine.
I highly recomment staying here and enjoying the warmth of The Chattanoogan staff.

Room Tip: Get the high floor and the driveway side for a great sunset over the mountain and river view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank csherminator
Management response:Responded 26 July 2011

Thank you very much for your generous compliments for our hotel and staff. I will share this TripAdvisor posting with everyone as they will be happy to know that you enjoyed your time at The Chattanoogan, especially LaTonya.
We are happy we could provide a "home away from home” during your extended stay. We look forward to your return, and you will be happy to know we have continued feeding “your birds” and will continue to do so.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Well the Chattanoogan isn’t all its cracked up to be. Its says its 4 stars but only gives you 1 star service. Heres how our experience with the Chattanoogan went for our July the 2nd 2011 wedding reception.
We called many places and spoke with their wedding coordinators very promptly about them hosting our wedding reception. The only problem was the size and the atmosphere of these places was not what we were looking for.
We were looking on the internet for other places and found The Chattanoogan Hotel. It looked so beautiful inside. We immediately called them to make an appointment with their wedding coordinator. Three days later, we still havent heard a word from The Chattanoogan Hotel. We called them again and left another message. This time we waited a week and still never heard anything from The Chattanoogan Hotel. We finally drove downtown and just showed up and asked to speak with their wedding coordinator. We waited over 30 minutes with a 4 yr old to speak with someone and finally, Dewayne came out and spoke with me and my fiancee. He showed us around and was very nice. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and decided to let them host our wedding reception.
We spent a lot of time with Dewayne making decisions about the details of our reception. We only had one special request. We wanted to have sushi for our reception dinner because that was the first dinner date we had. He said we couldn't cater sushi in but his chef at The Chattanoogan could prepare it for us. We were hesitant about that because not just anyone can prepare sushi. We asked if the chef could prepare a roll or two at the food tasting so we could taste how their sushi is. Dewayne instructed us that wouldn't be a problem. After putting down a $1000 deposit, Dewayne said he would contact us in about two weeks, too come in for the food tasting. Three weeks went by and we still didnt hear anything back from Dewayne or anyone from The Chattanoogan. We called and left several messages but still never heard back from anyone. I finally called and asked to speak with the GM and got his voice mail. He actually called us back promptly. He explained that Dewayne was no longer with them and that Stacy (I think thats her name) would be taking care of us. My mother in law spoke with Stacy about everything and had to tell her all over again about what we had already discussed with Dewayne. Apparently everything Dewayne told us was wrong in Stacys eyes. So I called the GM again and he said he was handing us over to Richard. So I waited to hear from Richard and never heard from him. I finally called Richard myself and left a voice mail. I got a phone call back but it was from Rick, the food and beverage director. He explained that Dewayne or Stacy didnt have any notes about everything we had discussed. So we went to The Chattanoogan and met Rick to discuss everything for the THIRD TIME in detail. He sent us home with a menu to select which foods we wanted to have at the reception. We called all our family and found out which foods everyone could agree on. A few days later, we found out that we had yet another new wedding coordinator named Kristy --. We informed her of the food selection we had chosen from the menus that Rick had gave us. She told us that Rick, the Food and Beverage director had given us the wrong menu, so we had to start all over again. So finally we made a decision on the food and also told Christy about what type of Sushi Roll we wanted to try along with the other food. She told us that we can try the other foods but we cant try the Sushi because “they would have to cook a whole bunch of rice” (really?) just for us to try. Now they tell us that we can cater our on Sushi after they already told us we couldnt. Me and my fiancee were devastated. We were ready to get our money back at this point and go some where else but we already signed their contract and they had our $1000 deposit.
Now we go down to The Chattanoogan for the food tasting. Ive been to other food tastings before but this one takes the cake. We sat down to try the food while Kristy and Rick sat there and starred at us like we were homeless and being fed a free meal. They weren't eating or anything, just starring. I could understand if the Chef was standing there but even the Chef left us to taste everything. It was very awkward being starred at while we were eating.
Now we get to the day of the wedding. I called the Chattanoogan to speak with Christy -- about coming to set up the DJ equipment. We were told that we would be dealing with another lady but she would be leaving in a couple hours and then we would be dealing Keith. So this was this 6th person we had to deal with. We paid for our guest to have a lounge area at The Chattanoogan to hang out in while we were taking pictures and making our way there. Our guest were supposed to have this wonderful fruit punch, with fresh fruit floating in it to drink, fresh fruit tray, and cheese. When we arrived at the Chattanoogan, there was no wonderful fruit punch, the cheese was in chunks the size of baseballs with no knife to cut it and the fruit tray consisted of about 20 strawberry’s cut in half with the stems still on it. After our guest had already paid for drinks at the cash bar, they said they could bring out the wonderful fruit punch. We said no, everyone already bought their drinks.
In the reception when the dinner was served, I had steak that was tougher than leather with a butter knife to cut it and my wife had the chicken. The chicken was actually good but its to bad most people like steak. The children were supposed to have chicken fingers and fruit. The children had chicken fingers and french fries. We told Christy No FRENCH FRIES because some of the children have food allergy’s. Well the kids had their own table so we didnt notice until after the fact. Then our son gets sick from eating the french fries and throws up every where. We had two salads, a Caesar and a garden. Everybody ate the Caesar because there was no other dressings for the Garden Salad. TO TOP IT OFF, THE FOOD WAS NOT EVEN HOT.
The Honey Moon Suit was really nice but we didnt get our bottle of champagne in the room. Which was included in our wedding package.
We did all have fun but there was so much stuff they could have done right. Most places would comp stuff to make things better but we didn't get anything comped. BEWARE EVEN IF ITS IN WRITING DOESNT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN. MAKE SURE ITS WRITTEN IN BLOOD. I think Kristy -- can do a great job but everyone under her needs to follow instructions. All of this was in writing but apparently, shes the only one who can follow instructions at The Chattanoogan. A special thanks to Pedro the maintenance man who helped out when no one could be found.

Room Tip: Very nice HoneyMoon suite.
8  Thank lovefactory
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The rooms were clean and very nice, it was great to walk into the room and find chocolate covered strawberries on each bed. The food at the Broad Street Grill was fantastic, I wish there were restaurants like that everywhere. Basically it was the best hotel I have ever stayed at and will definitely return! I would give it 10 stars if I could!

5  Thank annamarta39
Management response:Responded 20 July 2011

Thank you for your 10 star rating! We are delighted you chose to stay at The Chattanoogan and enjoy our restaurant. The Chef and staff will be delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience in the Broad Street Grille. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

All the staff was friendly and helpful. Loved the room. It was clean and the bed and pillows were VERY comfortable. The restaurant's breakfast was scrumptious. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank travelbeetoo
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Thank you Chattanoogan for making our mini-family reunion such a delight! Appreciated the decor and amenities, but the service was fabulous. Everyone welcomed us with a smile from the moment we walked in the door, to the moment we left.

Enjoyed getting a pedi done in the spa, and oh, the live entertainment was a nice unexpected plus!

We will be back for sure!!

3  Thank ToledoLegos
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The staff of the Chattanoogan were very courteous and welcomed us with a gift bag that contained moon pies and cokes. The room was pleasant. We dined in the restraurant. The wait staff there were the best. The food was excellent and the chef prepared a wonderful omelet for me. We used the exercise room and found it to be very clean and user friendly. This is one of the best Hotel's we have ever stayed in and we plan to return soon.

5  Thank cheekf
Management response:Responded 20 July 2011

I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our Chefs prepare wonderful omelets and I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed it. Thank you for choosing The Chattanoogan and for providing your feedback, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

1st contact - valet - extremely courteous. Front desk, very helpful and accommodating. Room very clean and inviting. anything needed was found for us.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family