“The Best Place for Family Reunion or Family Retreat!”
Review of The Chattanoogan

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #7 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“The Best Place for Family Reunion or Family Retreat!”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family most recently held our Family Retreat at the Chattanoogan Hotel, and we had a wonderful time! The management team was great to work with and very accommodating. As you can imagine, working with large groups of people is a skill in itself, but the staff members at the Chattanoogan were fantastic! From the moment we arrived, we met with the Director of Conference Services who had everything ready for us including meal tickets to all their buffets, our conference rooms were set up complete with projectors, screens, refreshments, pads and pencils. Our dinner buffet was set in a different conference room, and the food was great! Each and every staff member at the Chattanoogan was a pleasure to work with and even gave us great things to do in the city of Chattanooga. We took advantage of the free shuttle that runs through the city and visited some great restaurants, the Aquarium and the Children's Museum. Chattanooga has a lot of great things to offer and my recommendation is that if you are planning a trip with your family to TN, please stop by and stay at the Chattanoogan. Their prices are reasonable, the people are great and the food is great! Enjoy!

5 Thank malikacl98
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Thank you for being our guest and I am thrilled that you and your family had a wonderful visit. I will be sharing your comments with our staff; they will be happy to read that you were pleased. We look forward to your return visit.

Tom Cupo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We enjoyed the Chattanoogan. Overall, it is an extremely nice hotel and we would return.

PROS: Very customer service oriented staff. If they can think of any way to help, they absolutely will. They were able to accommodate an early check in, an unscheduled spa appointment and provide excellent dining recommendations within easy walking distance. Additionally, the room is comfortable and well laid out. The bathroom amenities are top notch and the Wii Fii is free. The mattress is super comfortable. The free electric shuttle is a block away and provides easy access to pretty much everywhere in downtown Chattanooga. It runs every seven minutes, so it's barely any wait. If the weather is nice, I would probably walk. The ride to the Aquarium seemed to be less than ten minutes and was about 12 blocks. However, in 100 degree heat, the shuttle was a nice option.

CONS: The Chattanoogan bills itself out as an "urban resort." To me, a resort includes a decent pool. This hotel has a tiny indoor pool. Lying by the pool isn't really any fun. Other reviewers seemed to like the workout space. I wasn't a fan. There are only two treadmills and two ellipticals in addition to other equipment. However, this is a large hotel and scoring a treadmill in the morning is a coup. The workout room is attached to the spa and the pool so there is considerable traffic in the room. I prefer to work out without folks wandering around the workout space. A guest membership to a local gym would be a good fix. Another petty issue I had with the hotel was they charge $2 for a takeout coffee in the morning and also charge $2 for a local paper. If the coffee had been exceptional I might have been okay with it, but it's not. It's a cup of coffee. The breakfast buffet was pretty normal. It did lack a few standard items, such as yogurt, oatmeal, English muffins and an assortment of juices (they did have orange and tomato, but nothing beyond that.)

Still, this is a great place to stay. The rooms are very nice and the staff is wonderful. I think the disconnect is that the hotel bills itself out as a luxury hotel and it almost is, but it misses the "luxury" mark.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AnotherHoustonian
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you for the compliment of our staff, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the spa and amenities of the hotel and around Chattanooga. The electric shuttle is a great way to get around town

I am sorry to hear our pool and workout area didn’t live up to your expectations, we appreciate hearing all points of view from all of our guests, and I thank you for taking the time to write.
Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Chattanoogan, and we look forward to your return

Michigan
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I was a guest of the Chattanoogan for an extended business trip. It became my second home. The entire staff, from the front desk to the dining room to housekeeping and even the valet/bellman were absolutely wonderful.

I used the pool (indoor/rooftop). I used some Spa services and I used the gym/exercise room. My only recommendation is to keep the gym equipment operable, as some pieces never worked properly during my stay.

Knowing I was here for a long time, I brought my bicycle....Chattanooga is a bicycle town, there is a paved "river walk" (approx 12 miles <?>) that runs from downtown out to the dam and back, it was a great way to get outside, explore and enjoy the sights, sounds, flora and fauna of the Tennessee River and Riverfront Chattanooga!

I enjoyed being a "little uptown", than riverfront, It was easy to jump on (1 block away) and take Free (donations accepted) Electric Bus shuttle that went round trip all day and into the night. I could go down to the river and have dinner, walk around, go to a movie and never take my car out of the hotel garage.

Dining out of the hotel?....there are wonderful restaurants within walking distance of the hotel too! or the Electric Bus to the riverfront. I must admit, I did take alot of my meals in the hotel. I enjoyed their breakfast buffet AND Lunches, I tried everything on the roiom service menu. All good!

Explore the Riverfront - the Aquarium, the Museum, or you can even walk on Sundays to the Paviilion for the Farmers Market, with local artisans, music and things to eat,. I went a few times!

They have a great bar "Foundry" with a bistro menu, and live music on weekends.
Enjoy the Chattanoogan, I did!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank gdorian
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
What a great account of the time you spent with us. Thank you for taking so much time to be complimentary and constructive, we are happy to hear it all. Chattanooga has some of the best bicycle paths in the country and we are glad you took the time to enjoy all the options.
We recently brought a company into the spa to check and repair all the equipment so it will be working and ready for you for a future visit.

You will always be part of our “Chattanoogan Family” and we look forward to welcoming you back if you are ever back in the area!

Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed here on our way south and were traveling with a 5-year-old. The property is VERY swanky! A lot posher than I would have expected for Chattanooga. As we drove down Broad Street it is a little difficult to know where to turn to get to the hotel because the front is on the back in my opinion, and because of how it is laid out you can't really tell what it is from the road, especially when it is dark outside. That being said, the room was super quiet at night. No road noise, just silence. The hotel seems geared more towards business travelers - maids beat on the door at 8am so don't forget the do not disturb sign. No Disney Channel on the tv so we had to make due with Nickelodeon :). Beds were comfy - but only full sized (not queen) so would be a tight fit for two adults. Bathroom was really nice. Enjoyed the indoor pool, but it seems more like a lap pool for exercise purposes. They did kick us out at 10pm. I didn't like that the parking structure is not really connected to the hotel, but it wasn't far. Ate breakfast in one of the restaurants (they have a restaurant, bar/grille and coffee shop). Had buffet. Was pretty good, reasonably priced, nice selection. Pancakes were not good tho. Overally it was a good stay.

4 Thank CorvetteKatie
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts about your stay on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and our staff enjoyed your description of our “swanky” hotel.
We look forward to your return The Chattanoogan on your future travels to our area.

Crawfordville, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed at the Chattanoogan for over a month on business. The staff became my family. They couldn't have been nicer, more accommodating or more "Get it doners". The did everything to make my stay feel like home from moving my room (after checking out for 3 days and not being able to get the room I wanted) to letting me hang bird feeders on their beautiful trees in the front of the hotel. I had a special housekeeper, LaTonya, who kept my room just the way I liked it. The restaurant staff always remembered I like a shot of espresso in my morning coffee. The front desk fixed any problems with any of the rooms I was responsible for. And the conference staff could not have done anything better, always a "Yes, we can do that."
Only two negatives: The balsamic dressing was horrible. For a hotel of this caliber to have (what tasted like) bottled dressings is unacceptable. 2) The business center should have a copier and a fax machine.
I highly recomment staying here and enjoying the warmth of The Chattanoogan staff.

Room Tip: Get the high floor and the driveway side for a great sunset over the mountain and river view.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank csherminator
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you very much for your generous compliments for our hotel and staff. I will share this TripAdvisor posting with everyone as they will be happy to know that you enjoyed your time at The Chattanoogan, especially LaTonya.
We are happy we could provide a "home away from home” during your extended stay. We look forward to your return, and you will be happy to know we have continued feeding “your birds” and will continue to do so.

Ringgold, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Well the Chattanoogan isn’t all its cracked up to be. Its says its 4 stars but only gives you 1 star service. Heres how our experience with the Chattanoogan went for our July the 2nd 2011 wedding reception.
We called many places and spoke with their wedding coordinators very promptly about them hosting our wedding reception. The only problem was the size and the atmosphere of these places was not what we were looking for.
We were looking on the internet for other places and found The Chattanoogan Hotel. It looked so beautiful inside. We immediately called them to make an appointment with their wedding coordinator. Three days later, we still havent heard a word from The Chattanoogan Hotel. We called them again and left another message. This time we waited a week and still never heard anything from The Chattanoogan Hotel. We finally drove downtown and just showed up and asked to speak with their wedding coordinator. We waited over 30 minutes with a 4 yr old to speak with someone and finally, Dewayne came out and spoke with me and my fiancee. He showed us around and was very nice. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and decided to let them host our wedding reception.
We spent a lot of time with Dewayne making decisions about the details of our reception. We only had one special request. We wanted to have sushi for our reception dinner because that was the first dinner date we had. He said we couldn't cater sushi in but his chef at The Chattanoogan could prepare it for us. We were hesitant about that because not just anyone can prepare sushi. We asked if the chef could prepare a roll or two at the food tasting so we could taste how their sushi is. Dewayne instructed us that wouldn't be a problem. After putting down a $1000 deposit, Dewayne said he would contact us in about two weeks, too come in for the food tasting. Three weeks went by and we still didnt hear anything back from Dewayne or anyone from The Chattanoogan. We called and left several messages but still never heard back from anyone. I finally called and asked to speak with the GM and got his voice mail. He actually called us back promptly. He explained that Dewayne was no longer with them and that Stacy (I think thats her name) would be taking care of us. My mother in law spoke with Stacy about everything and had to tell her all over again about what we had already discussed with Dewayne. Apparently everything Dewayne told us was wrong in Stacys eyes. So I called the GM again and he said he was handing us over to Richard. So I waited to hear from Richard and never heard from him. I finally called Richard myself and left a voice mail. I got a phone call back but it was from Rick, the food and beverage director. He explained that Dewayne or Stacy didnt have any notes about everything we had discussed. So we went to The Chattanoogan and met Rick to discuss everything for the THIRD TIME in detail. He sent us home with a menu to select which foods we wanted to have at the reception. We called all our family and found out which foods everyone could agree on. A few days later, we found out that we had yet another new wedding coordinator named Kristy --. We informed her of the food selection we had chosen from the menus that Rick had gave us. She told us that Rick, the Food and Beverage director had given us the wrong menu, so we had to start all over again. So finally we made a decision on the food and also told Christy about what type of Sushi Roll we wanted to try along with the other food. She told us that we can try the other foods but we cant try the Sushi because “they would have to cook a whole bunch of rice” (really?) just for us to try. Now they tell us that we can cater our on Sushi after they already told us we couldnt. Me and my fiancee were devastated. We were ready to get our money back at this point and go some where else but we already signed their contract and they had our $1000 deposit.
Now we go down to The Chattanoogan for the food tasting. Ive been to other food tastings before but this one takes the cake. We sat down to try the food while Kristy and Rick sat there and starred at us like we were homeless and being fed a free meal. They weren't eating or anything, just starring. I could understand if the Chef was standing there but even the Chef left us to taste everything. It was very awkward being starred at while we were eating.
Now we get to the day of the wedding. I called the Chattanoogan to speak with Christy -- about coming to set up the DJ equipment. We were told that we would be dealing with another lady but she would be leaving in a couple hours and then we would be dealing Keith. So this was this 6th person we had to deal with. We paid for our guest to have a lounge area at The Chattanoogan to hang out in while we were taking pictures and making our way there. Our guest were supposed to have this wonderful fruit punch, with fresh fruit floating in it to drink, fresh fruit tray, and cheese. When we arrived at the Chattanoogan, there was no wonderful fruit punch, the cheese was in chunks the size of baseballs with no knife to cut it and the fruit tray consisted of about 20 strawberry’s cut in half with the stems still on it. After our guest had already paid for drinks at the cash bar, they said they could bring out the wonderful fruit punch. We said no, everyone already bought their drinks.
In the reception when the dinner was served, I had steak that was tougher than leather with a butter knife to cut it and my wife had the chicken. The chicken was actually good but its to bad most people like steak. The children were supposed to have chicken fingers and fruit. The children had chicken fingers and french fries. We told Christy No FRENCH FRIES because some of the children have food allergy’s. Well the kids had their own table so we didnt notice until after the fact. Then our son gets sick from eating the french fries and throws up every where. We had two salads, a Caesar and a garden. Everybody ate the Caesar because there was no other dressings for the Garden Salad. TO TOP IT OFF, THE FOOD WAS NOT EVEN HOT.
The Honey Moon Suit was really nice but we didnt get our bottle of champagne in the room. Which was included in our wedding package.
We did all have fun but there was so much stuff they could have done right. Most places would comp stuff to make things better but we didn't get anything comped. BEWARE EVEN IF ITS IN WRITING DOESNT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN. MAKE SURE ITS WRITTEN IN BLOOD. I think Kristy -- can do a great job but everyone under her needs to follow instructions. All of this was in writing but apparently, shes the only one who can follow instructions at The Chattanoogan. A special thanks to Pedro the maintenance man who helped out when no one could be found.

Room Tip: Very nice HoneyMoon suite.
8 Thank lovefactory
Dalton, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The rooms were clean and very nice, it was great to walk into the room and find chocolate covered strawberries on each bed. The food at the Broad Street Grill was fantastic, I wish there were restaurants like that everywhere. Basically it was the best hotel I have ever stayed at and will definitely return! I would give it 10 stars if I could!

5 Thank annamarta39
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Thank you for your 10 star rating! We are delighted you chose to stay at The Chattanoogan and enjoy our restaurant. The Chef and staff will be delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience in the Broad Street Grille. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.