“Nice stay at this property” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #6 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
Kentucky
“Nice stay at this property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a very difficult review to write because I think different parties will view this property in very different ways. For example, the amenities here are what you can find at many downtown hotels in larger cities--valet parking, spa, full service restaurant, bar area and nice workout room and indoor pool. This property also has a meeting area/convention space attached to the hotel. Not sure of the size, but it seemed large enough to host fairly large events. Thus, I can see why this place would receive the AAA 4-diamond rating.

i am wavering between 4 and 5 stars and probably call this a 4.5 stay. While I labelled my review "very good," this is definitely leaning more towards the higher end of hotel properties. But there are a couple of things that could have improved my stay which I will mention.

First, the positives. Check-in was a breeze and my family was even able to check in early. The staff was very helpful about answering our questions that we needed addressed. The hotel is a nice looking property in its appearance. The entrance is rather impressive. At night, the entrance is lit up with fire coming from the columns at the side of the road. The hotel sits a good distance back from the parking structure and has beautiful landscaping. Simply put, the place looks nice and inviting.

As I mentioned, the amenities are very good. We primarily used the indoor pool area so that my kids could swim. The pool was only 3.5 feet deep at its deepest point. But is was a larger indoor pool than most--fairly long in distance. They also had a hot tub. In addition, they have a full service restaurant, spa and nice workout facility with shower/locker room area.

In general, the hotel was super quiet. I could never hear people getting off of the elevator or talking in the hallways, etc... I always think this is a plus to have thick walls & doors and a quiet experience in a hotel.

Our room was adequate--just a standard double room with two beds. The bedding was very comfortable and pillows were good as well. The room did have a small safe in it. The bathroom was a decent size. Shower, toilet & sink all in one room. The room did have a small desk and sitting chair as well. One last big plus--the towels in bathroom were large and soft!

One great feature was wifi and internet was super fast here. I remember reading that Chattanooga has really fast service compared to many cities. The internet service as this hotel is very fast.

Okay, now a couple of the negatives that prevent me from giving this place 5 stars. The location is just okay. Of course, there is absolutely nothing you can do about this. It is really not within walking distance of much. And I knew this going in. But if you are comparing downtown hotels and this is a considertation, this would definitely be a negative for here. I think it is the large TVA building that sits right next door, too.

Our room did not stay very cool. We traveled the first week of July so the outside temps were a little high. But I think our room faced towards the sun most of the day and had tons of sunlight coming in through the glass windows. Even when we keep the curtains and blinds pulled, the room was still a little warmer than I liked. It would really only cool down early in the morning around 3 or 4 am after the sun had set and the AC ran for several hours.

So, if you want a cooler room, i would suggest getting a room that faced away from the road and towards the entrance side of the property.

The room also did not have a mini fridge in it. I know this shouldn't be a big deal, but it seems like most hotels have these now. Our room did not have one. Also, the shower curtain was too small. It would just barely reach the top of the edge of the shower tub. Once again, is that a big deal...no. But I would expect a nice place like the Chattanoogan to have shower curtains that fit. if you weren't careful, you could easily get water out in the floor of the bathroom.

Yes, I liked this property. I had no issues on our stay. But I also think that location may be its biggest drawback when comparing it to some of the other downtown possibilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Milbs_40
TomCupo1, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of our guest room and pool/spa area. Thank you for sharing your appreciation for our facilities and the friendliness of our staff. It is unfortunate that you did not find our location convenient. It is true that we are located in the Southside; however, if you wish to sightsee around the Riverfront area then an easy walk to the free electric shuttle stop will get you to where you would like to go. The Southside is home to not only attractions such as the Chattanooga Choo-Choo, but several of the city’s finest restaurants, pubs, and local retailers. The area also boasts Sanctuary Skatepark, Finley Stadium and First Tennessee Pavilion – home of the Chattanooga Market. Thank you for your helpful feedback, we hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you and your family back again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed this nice hotel very much! It's one of the farther ones from the aquarium and river but so easy to get in and out of. We got a good rate too. So nice to walk around downtown. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Parking does come with a fee that the website does not inform of ($8/day) but a decent price considering downtown everywhere charges for parking. The beds were decent and extra pillows were in room. We were very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TomCupo1, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your review. It is great to read that our location made it easy and convenient for your travels and to the numerous attractions in Chattanooga. We’re thankful that you shared your appreciation for our facilities and the friendliness of our staff. Thank you for your helpful feedback, we hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back again.
Comer, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel over the fourth of July weekend.The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, our room was very clean and comfortable. We had dinner friday night at the Broad street grille, nice service , and very tasty! We also had the breakfast buffet , which was exceptional aswell. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us; I appreciate the kind words about my team. Providing superb service is our goal every day every guest. We are truly pleased you enjoyed everything about your recent visit, from the helpful staff to the clean rooms to the meals at The Broad Street Grille. We’re so glad our hotel provided a comfortable, restful place to relax. I am glad you noticed the perks of our location. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon, thank you.
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We started our 2014 summer vacation in Chattanooga. We booked The Chattanoogan Hotel for two nights. It was a nice, clean hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The only complaint I had would be that the beds were not too comfortable and very small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TomCupo1, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you, for your review. I am glad that we were the start to your summer vacation. I appreciate the kind words about the staff and facilities. My Team truly cares about helping create a memorable time here in Chattanooga. I was disappointed to read that your recent stay did not impress you in every way, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your visit. We look forward to seeing you on a return trip!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel reception area is remodeled modern and classic. We were greeted and checked in kindly and quickly. Our room was comfortable, clean and had a nice mountain view. We set out for downtown activities, this is the one downside to the Chattanoogan...the 10 block distance to downtown area. Which can be overcome by a 2 block walk to the free electric shuttle that ends up near the aquarium.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa B
Thank you, for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate that you shared your appreciation for our facilities and the friendliness of our staff. I know you have many options, and I am glad you chose us. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy the Southside area; home to not only attractions such as the Chattanooga Choo-Choo, but several of the city’s finest restaurants, pubs, and local retailers. The area also boasts Sanctuary Skatepark, Finley Stadium and First Tennessee Pavilion – home of the Chattanooga Market. It has many wonderful local restaurants and activities. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the area and our hotel very soon.
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

A short drive from the more touristy area provided a quiet and comfortable overnight stay. Clean comfortable rooms. Double beds only though, not queens. Fine with us but not as roomy for larger people.

They have a spa though we did not use any services. Pool was on the 2nd floor and right off of the fitness center.

Nicely decorated and accommodated. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind words about the staff and facilities. My Team truly cares about helping create a memorable time here in Chattanooga. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I planned a trip to Chattanooga for the first time and wanted to stay somewhere downtown. Based off the hotel's website we thought this would be the place to stay. We were wrong.

We drove through a section of town that I wouldn't be caught in after dark to get there. We wouldn't walk around outside after dark. The hotel was right next to that part of town.

The room had a musty smell to it. No refrigerator in the room, however they offered to bring one.

We stayed in the room 15 minutes and went back down to the front desk and said we wanted to leave. The supervisor said she couldn't let us leave without penalty. I asked for a manager and explained my wife and I were looking for something downtown. He let us out of the reservation without penalty.

If you're in town for business this would be a nice place to stay. But if you want to be downtown look elsewhere. We ended up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn next to the baseball stadium.

In the short time we were there we noticed that the rest of the hotel was clean and nice. There hotel and bar looked nice as well.

Like I said if you're in town and don't want to leave the hotel, this is the place. If you're wanting to walk around downtown Chattanooga and eat and different places you'll need to look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you, for your candid thoughts. I must say your remarks surprised me. This is not the typical reaction to our hotel or the area. It is true that we are located in the revitalized area known as the Southside of Chattanooga but I assure you it is safe to walk to the many wonderful local restaurants and the free electric shuttle connection.The Southside of downtown Chattanooga (our area) has undergone a tremendous revitalization with local restaurants (30+), retail/business and housing ($300,000+ condo’s) in the last couple of years.There have been millions of dollars invested in our area and we are very proud of it. The future has never looked brighter for the Southside. It is unfortunate that you did not stay at our hotel and give us the opportunity to prove to you that we are a great hotel and in a great location.