“Great time at the Chattanoogan with a few exceptions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chattanoogan

The Chattanoogan
Ranked #6 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great time at the Chattanoogan with a few exceptions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2011

14 of us went to the Chattanoogan Hotel. It was a family trip, but with ladies and kids only, no husbands. The age range was from 6 years old to 48 years old. We had the moms, in our 30's and 40's, adult children, in their 20, teenagers from 13 to 16 and 2 children under 10. Boy, did we have fun.
I selected the hotel because it is a spa hotel, with a pool and had suites. The rooms were awesome , if you got the Presidential Suite,and had a connecting room, you got about 1500 square feet. So the Presidential Suite had a king sized bed and the connecting room and two double beds. There was also a huge eating area, and a den with large sofas, and plenty of room for air mattresses. Now, we are not uppity people who can afford 1,000 dollar a night Presidential Suites. We went right before Christmas and the suite was about 350 dollars a night. Of course, the attached room was a separate charge, but again we had alot of people. So the room was great, the lobby was great, the location not so great, not in the center of town, or anything. The electric trolley was nice, here was the problem:
I spoke to a young lady, maybe 7 times over the phone, same girl each time, very nice. I took 5 pages of meticulous notes, from the square footage, to the amenities, to the room types, to the restaurants, etc.. I left no stone unturned. (this is my nature, and also because I had 14 people counting on me, and the trip was my idea,) if anything went wrong, my neck was on the line.
I was told that each floor had a mountain view suite, a presidential suite, and a garden suite. I did the math, and selected a presidential and the mountain view, and a garden suite. The Mountain view suite is very very similar to the Presidential , just a tad smaller, if you did not know this you would not know the difference. When we got to the hotel, we found it nearly empty. Then we find there is only one Presidential Suite on the top floor,. the sixth floor, but the rest of that floor was shut down due to painting and renovations. What?! how come this was never mentioned?
We also wanted to be on the same floor so this was unacceptable and I told them so,. I asked who and where was the girl that I spoke to every day for 30 minutes. They would not reveal her. I said, ' just give us the mountain view room and something else, they couldn't do it, because it was occupied, but 2 families could be on one floor, 2 families on another, until the next day, blah blah blah. Stupid stupid stupid.
An intelligent operator, would have mentioned something sooner, and put us all on one floor, and foreseen these issues. This was not brain surgery.
Anyway, I complained, because I was stunned. The manager, very nice and friendly, toured my sister in law and myself, to the other rooms etc... while 13 people waited with luggage and kids in the lobby. All this took an extra hour. The manager said he would give us a 20 percent discount on the room, then he said breakfast buffet for free every day. We were appeased. But I was surprised, but the goofiness of the phone operator. The Presidential Suite, was at the end of the hall, and the whole hall way reeked of paint. Fortunately, the smell did not permeate into the room. We ordered from restaurants and they delivered, to the room. Very nice, and very fun.
They goofed so many things, but they kept making amends and we loved the rooms and when you are with a big group you can still have fun, but the floor was like a ghost town. because it was closed down, this could have been creepy, but the kids could run up and down the hall at night.
We enjoyed the Chattanoogan and I would stay again, but make sure you get what they say in writing and in blood. In the winter the prices were great.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank merrytime
, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to relay the positive and negatives about your stay with us. It does sound like everyone had a great time! I do apologize that the renovations affected your stay. While we were thrilled to renovate all of our rooms, it was our mission to protect our guests as much as possible from the noise or smells that are a result of renovating.

We do hope you will return to The Chattanoogan for your get-a-way next year.

Tom Cupo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

We have stayed at this hotel before and were thrilled to get it at a great price ($79), but our opinion of this hotel changed 180 degrees at 12.30 am last Saturday (27 November) when the hotel had a small fire we later were told was in a laundry room.

The property is lovely and we have stayed here before. The staff is nice, the facilities super clean and modern and for the price this is a really a great place but we likely won't be going back for awhile --- if ever --- as staff was unable to handle the emergency which is a safety issue!

The whole thing was a not-funny comedy of errors: The fire alarm sounded (it was one which talks and said to evacuate the hotel) and the hallway had smoke present saying to us that this was a real fire, but the fire door sign was in the wrong place we found out later and the first door we went into was a locked hallway, causing us to walk almost the entire length of the hotel (almost a city block) to find stairs down from the 3rd floor.

Once downstairs, staff at the desk we checked with to report our room was all out could seem to care less. We were not told whether to stay in the lobby or go outside (it was 29 degrees) and we finally opted to go out, where again no staff met us or organized anything. Finally a man came out, shouted "the fire is out and you can go in again but the alarm will go till the smoke clears!"

Our room was directly above the laundry (we found out later) and the smoke was still in the hall and room, so we called the desk asking if we could be relocated as my partner has asthma and we also needed to get some sleep. The desk said "just wait a while it will clear out" and refused moving us (despite what we found out the next morning was an under 50% occupancy rate!) The windows were sealed and needless to say it was an hour plus more wait with not much breathable air.

Management in the morning apologized for their staff when we told them what was going on in the night and they comped our breakfast which was nice, but it still begs a lot of questions about safety of guests, ability to handle a real emergency should one happen and if we'd ever want to return to this hotel. Unless we can be sure we will be safe the answer sadly is probably not.

This is tragic as the facilities are lovely, the location grand and the food high quality but despite a past wonderful visit this has really soured us on ever returning.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
TomCupo, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 7 December 2010
The Chattanoogan had a smoke alert on November 27th which was immediately attended to. As a safety precaution, when our fire/smoke detectors are activated, we are obligated to evacuate the hotel, no matter the time of day or night, and await the arrival of the authorities to give the “all clear.” Their response was swift, and everyone re-entered the building. We sincerely apologize to all our guests that evening who were asked to evacuate the building, and are grateful to the team of authorities who responded quickly.
madison, al
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Hi All..
I stayed this weekend at the Chattanoogan for my wife's birthday. I have stayed here twice in the past for a frame of reference. The hotel is located on 13th street and is a nice looking building. We used the Valet parking option (12$) a day and honestly they were the most efficient and nicest group of people on the whole trip.

The good:
Chattanooga is a nice little city to visit..lots of stuff to do..good place to stay if your on a daytrip to atlanta.

The Brunch on Sundays was AWESOME..for 18.50 the food was very very good.. The best meal on our trip in Chattanooga. The service at the brunch was extremely nice.

The So-So:
We stayed in a King size room.. The government rate was procured and for 88$ a night it was not a bad rate. The room was pretty average.. it was definately run down since the last time i stayed at this hotel. The walls were pretty thin as we heard several anxious youngsters who were not happy.. Overall i'd give the room a 3 star rating.. if you get it for the 88$ rate a night.. i'd take that again.

The Service was pretty sad though. Only one person at the front desk was upbeat (Sara). The rest seemed like they were pretty unhappy when we asked for something. It could have been that they were busy... but i know my wife commented on the shortness of the staff so i have to say i agree with her opinion.

Room Service:
Pizza was in my opinion pretty good... They did mess up my room service order and it took 3 or 4 phone calls to get it taken off my bill. It did get fixed though.

Soo, overall i would say a average stay... I did feel safe and it has a ton of potential if the staff had been friendlier.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Spring Hill, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, TN last night. What a lovely hotel! Upon arrival, you can enter either from streetside or the courtyard to be welcomed by a cozy see-through fireplace. The staff was helpful and friendly, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and well-appointed. There are multiple restaurants onsite and The Foundry is an excellent choice. The food is affordable and delicious with an outstanding drink menu. I would have loved to have stayed more than one night!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank dbeck1224
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

My daughter was participating in the Head of the Hooch Regatta on the waterfront in Chattanooga. Having never visited Chattanooga before we weren't quite sure where to stay. After some research on TripAdvisor we decided to stay in the downtown area for access to the waterfront for the regatta on Saturday and at the same time it allowed us to experience the various dining and entertainment options downtown.
I made the reservation online with no trouble and elected for the ten dollar valet parking option. A couple days prior to arrival I called the hotel to request an early check in and the employee I spoke with was very helpful. Check in is normally at 4:00pm and we arrived at 2:00pm. I was prepared to not have a room yet but instead was greeted promptly and we had our keys in less than two minutes. The room was exceptionally clean as can also be said for the entire hotel. The location is not in the center of everything but there is a FREE electric (enclosed) trolley that runs from the resort to the waterfront every 5 minutes. We ate breakfast in the hotel at the buffet and the food was wonderful but again like everyone we met at the hotel it was the service. From the lady who greeted us to seat us to our server they couldn't have done a better job.
We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Chattanooga for impeccable service and clean updated accommodations.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rotos
TomCupo, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding the Chattanoogan and our staff. The Head of the Hooch Regatta is an amazing event held in Chattanooga and we are proud to host its participants. We are already looking forward to next year and hope to see you again.
Cleveland, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We spent a weekend at the Chattanoogan to celebrate a friend's birthday. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The windows have black-out curtains and on Saturday morning I actually slept far later than usual - it was dark, cool and quiet - which was perfect for me.

We ate one meal in the hotel restaurant - Saturday lunch. It was a buffet and for $10 per person was very good. Apparently during the week the buffet is quite popular with the business crowd. They don't always have it on the weekends but we got lucky.

Our friends had the large suite with the mountain view and it was wonderful. They were entertaining lots of friends and family from out of town and the living area of the suite was large enough to accomodate 20+ people at a time. The hotel staff were also very accomodating with small requests to help host this large group.

The bar is also a big attraction - they have live music on the weekends and several in our group stayed in the bar to enjoy the jazz ensemble that was performing on Saturday night.

The free electric shuttle stops a block away from the hotel so even though the main downtown attractions are a ways away from the hotel, a quick shuttle ride gets you there in just few minutes.

My only minor complaint is that the bed was a little on the firm side for me. Since I slept so late it obviously wasn't a big problem!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smdaigle
TomCupo, General Manager at The Chattanoogan, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
We appreciate the great comments and look forward to your next visit...
Huntindon, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

This hotel would be great for singles or married couples without small children. First of all there is no gift shop for getting things you may have forgotten. It does have a spa gift shop with a few medications, but not a full gift shop. Second it has very limited television channels. If you want HBO for example you would need an upgrade card for $12.99 a night and there is NO pay per-view movies. We had to watch shows on our laptop through our watch instantly netflix. At least this hotel does have free internet. The only other thing we were disappointed about was the noise in the halls at all hours of the night. The room was clean and the staff was friendly, but I would not recommend this hotel for small children.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family