“They took extra care of me . . .”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall
Ranked #40 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I liked this hotel very much and would stay there again. The manager brings a bright spirit to the place: it's unusual for me even to know who the manager is, but when I asked a particular staff member if she was working double shifts (she was there in the evening and the early morning and still was cheerful), she turned out to be the manager. I saw her being helpful to guests and to staff. My room was excellent, and it had safety bars in the shower, a feature which is always reassuring to me. When I asked at checkout about the safety bars, I was told (tactfully) at checkin that they had noticed that I was limping (bad knee) and so I was put into the handicapped room out of courtesy. I was most grateful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Tori C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Wow, Chaucerian, thank you for the great words and for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you had a good interaction with my staff. I love to hear when they have done something so wonderful that they get mentioned. I have some great folks here, and we love helping people. Please do come see us again!

Reviewed 19 April 2012

The property is close to shopping, just off the highway, and convenient to all area attractions and the airport. Our room was a king suite that had a separate bedroom and a living room with hide-a-bed, 'fridge and microwave. Everything was clean, comfortable and as one would expect from Country. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfasts featured hot entrees and lots of other choices in addition to some very tasty complimentary coffee that's available anytime. Mild dislikes included a heavy duvet in place of a blanket. It was too warm unless the a/c was set to about 64 degrees, and we don't usually sleep with just a sheet. The TV didn't cycle through all available channels. All in all, this was a quality stay in a quality property. Though we didn't use them, there were an indoor and an outdoor pool for guests.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank conspicuous_consumer

Thank you, conspicuous_consumer, for taking the time to post a review! I appreciate the feedback you have provided and I will be working on those things immediately. I want to let you know, too, that we do put blankets in all the rooms, in a bag in the closet, for people like you and me who prefer lighter covers. I will double check to be sure those bags are in place in all the rooms. I am also having the cable company come out and help us fix the TV cycling options. Thank you for pointing that issue out to me! I hope you will come see us again so that we have a second chance to impress you.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Country Suites-Chattanooga Hamilton Place Mall. Room was extremly clean and very nice. Staff was great. We loved the front porch and rocking chairs. Wonderful place to stay!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Wow, Belinda C, thank you so much for writing. I love those rocking chairs too, and it is sometimes hard to stay inside instead of enjoying a nice, relaxing sit on the porch. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Booked 4 nights here for long weekend. They were packed for the Friday night and Saturday night stay. We had some issues that were resolved by the front desk staff who were very nice and courteous. One problem was although we had a 2 queen bed suite, the beds hurt our backs (20 something years olds and mine!). After 2 nights I just couldn't stay there another two. Not sure if all the beds are this uncomfortable but for me I had to cancel the other 2 nights.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you, Saundra O, for taking the time to post your review, and please forgive me for taking so long to reply. I am so sorry that the beds were uncomfortable for you, and I will be acting on that immediately. I hate to have dissatisfied guests and I will make every effort not to have this problem again.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed 4 days and 3 nights at this hotel. The staff is amazing. The hotel is neat and clean. Breakfasts are awesome. There is so much to do in this city. Ruby Falls, the Aquarium and the Catamaran were awesome. On our way back to the hotel, my husband always said we're not to far from home. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mcmsbkkpr
Tori C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chattanooga at Hamilton Place Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review and for staying with us! We certainly enjoyed having you here and I enjoyed getting to meet you both. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in town!

Reviewed 15 March 2012

stayed for 10 days on business. Location is by the biggest mall in the area, great restaurants nearby. Good breakfast and two room suite. I recommend it!

Room Tip: stay up and towards the back
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 11 March 2012

My stay at the Country Suites was for a weekend leisure trip rather than a business trip. Let's start out by saying it was not a terrible experience, but as a frequent business traveler, I have had much better.

Walking into the hotel, the first impression is a good one. There is a huge lobby that is welcoming and very clean. They have a small but nice business center, small fitness room and small indoor pool.

This was the first (and last) time I used an expedia "non-published rate hotel"...I have learned my lesson! I was traveling with my 10 year old son, and when we arrived they told us they had us booked in a suite with a king-size bed. I had entered on expedia that I was an adult traveling with a child, not sure why they would have booked me with a king-sized bed instead of 2 doubles. But ok, third party booking, I understand...but good customer service when a woman shows up with a 10 year old boy is to offer the room with 2 double beds. I explained the situation to the lady at the front desk, who said there was nothing she could do about it since it was booked by a "third party"- when she had told the guests waiting in line ahead of me that she had double/doubles available! But that one of us could sleep on the pull out sofa that was in the living room portion of the suite.

So I'm not really happy, but I'm tired at that point, so we get over that and head to the room.

The room was clean and spacious, and it was nice to have a flat panel TV in the living room and the bedroom. The king size bed had comfortable pillows and a comfortable mattress. The bathroom had good counter space to lay out toiletries. However, the pullout sofa (remember, the one that either my son or I has to sleep on) cushions had large stains on them.

And speaking of the pullout sofa, apparently the lady at the front desk has never slept on one, thinking it was a fine substitute for a bed. I let my son sleep in the bedroom, and I slept on the pullout - finally, after hearing everything that went on in the hallway because either the walls are thin or the door is not well-insulated (noise level was fine when you were in the bedroom with the door closed, but not from the living room where I had to sleep!).

The biggest problem I had with the room was the thermostat - we set the temperature in the bedroom to auto-temp at 68, however the heat wouldn't shut off automatically and it got like a furnace in the room. Since it was comfortable enough outside, we turned it off entirely. Unfortunately, I woke up at 4:00 AM freezing in the sofa bed (the hotel provided only sheets and a thin blanket for the sofa bed).

Aside from the issues with our room, my overall impression is that the hotel is trying to cut expenses in the areas that are most noticeable to guests, which is unfortunate.

As examples:
-We were offered no bottled water at check-in, which has become almost standard at other hotels in this price range.
-The "full, hot breakfast" offered here was one of the weakest I've seen. They were supposed to have "cheese omelets" and what was served was fried egg patties. There was no fresh fruit to be found, nor yogurt cups, nor much variety. The waffles were very good, though. If I'd been really hungry, I would have gone somewhere else for breakfast.
-Very cheap, basic toiletries in the bathrooms.
-There was coffee available in the lobby, but no decaf or herbal tea. There was nothing else available for guests in the lobby as are found in other hotels in this price range (i.e. cookies, fruit)
-The breakfast bar had only ceramic cups at the coffee station. There was a sign saying that if you wanted a paper cup and lid, to ask for one (really???)

These things would be fine for a budget hotel, but at the $117 per night that was the going rate when we booked it is overpriced - you can get much nicer hotels in that area.

So, I'm not sure if the people that rated this 4 and 5 stars don't have much to compare it to, or things have just gone downhill lately. Either way, I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AmyNora1

I am so sorry that your experience was unpleasant. I have taken steps to ensure that we are being more proactive in communicating with out guests so that we can assist with problems before they have to leave unsatisfied. I assure you that we are working hard to correct these deficiencies. I do want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences here.