“Now I know why Motel 6 wants to leave the light on for you!”

Motel 6 Chattanooga Downtown
Ranked #77 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Motel 6's logo is "We'll leave the light on for you."
After staying at the Motel 6 Chattanooga downtown, I finally understand why. Its terrifying when you turn it off.

My wife and I decided to stay at this motel 6 as we drove from Texas to Virginia, as Chattanooga is about halfway between our starting point and destination. We also picked the hotel because it allows pets (we have a dog) and because of the price (it was the lowest by far in the area).

When we first arrived at the hotel, the attendant was very strange. Instead of a computer, she was using a notepad to write everything down. She turned of all the lights in the lobby when we walked in. Very odd.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, toward the back of the hotel. We walked up the back staircase in order to access the 2nd floor, and the smell was repulsive. My wife and I work at the animal shelter on weekends, and the smell of urine in this staircase was worse than the dog kennels we clean out in the morning.

Our room was equally disturbing. We had two light fixtures, neither worked. One had a lightbulb but no connector for the bulb. The other had a working fixture but no bulb.
Our TV had 99 channels, but only Fox News came in.
The bed had brown circular stains on the comforter and cigarette burns, even though it was a no smoking room.
The bathroom was free of bugs, but the sink and bathtub had pubic hairs and other curly things stuck in the drain.
There was garbage behind the curtain on the window sill.
My wife's pillow was fine, but mine felt like they had gathered up dirty laundry and stuffed it into a pillowcase.

The good things about this hotel are that the parking lot is surveyed by a camera, the price is low, and the location is decent.

Everything else is horrific. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me to. I was afraid my dogs were going to pick up something from sleeping on the floor. I am usually very amenable to hotels, and Ive never given one a bad review. This one pushed me too far though.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GTexan
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Chattanooga Downtown

Reviewed 2 November 2010

Being concious of budget on a three week trip around the USA, i generally find that Motel 6's are fine for a budget room, and i dont have a problem with fact that the rooms are very basic.
Having said that i probably wouldn't stay in this one again. Firstly, it is situated toward the end of a one way street, and it can be tricky findong your way back round if you miss your turning. Second, i found the locale slightly unsettling. Proximity to the interstate, as usual with Motel 6, was good, but the area was deserted, and just had a vibe that i couldnt put my finger on.
Finally in the room, the lightswitches were located right on my wall where my pillow rested (there was no headboard on the bed!), meaning several times i inadvertendly turned the lights off whilst awake, or more annoying, on, whilst drifting off to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dansh1978
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I was initially place is a two-bed room and within 2 minutes of sitting on my bed I was attacked by a swarm of fleas which shouldn't be surprising since it turns out that this hotel welcomes pets. Upon opening my sheets, there were bedbugs crawling in the folds just waiting for a feast on my warm body.

I went to the front desk and they were not fazed at all, (it must be a frequent occurrence) and was given another room. This room had no bugs that could bite, not counting a solitary cockroach, but the bathroom was filthy with the lone towel displaying a scraggly set of curly pubic hairs. It gets worse. The entire night, I was kept awake by a prostitute and her succession of clients banging against the wall just opposite the head of my bed.

If you want to stay at a filthy, disease ridden brothel, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank Travelingdoctor98
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I admit, I was leary of staying here after reading the few reviews of the place. However, there were bad reviews of the ALL the hotels. So, what the heck? We stayed 7 nights there. We went to the Siberian Husky Club of America show at a different location. The price was way better than the "host" hotel. For our needs it was perfect, a place to sleep.
The rooms did not smell. The rooms were large. The sheets were clean.
It was right off the highway but not noisy. There is chainlink fencing on 3 sides of the property. There are security cameras. The houses surrounding it were not run down by any means.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2009

The lobby, common area, elevator and hall carpet was dirty, worn, smelled and appear to be lifting up from the floor. Our room was even worst, the room smelled, the bed covers looked worn out, unclean and the bed had hair in the covers. The carpet was dirty; the mirror over the bed had finger prints, a light bulb was missing from one of the fixture, found hair in the bathroom, dust and rocks were in the AC unit. Unfortunately, we had to stay the one night so we immediately went to Wal-Mart and purchase our own covers, towels, pillows and Lysol and we left the next morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ADR50
Reviewed 14 November 2007

we stayed here for 4 days in october. it is a short drive to downtown attractions. it is on a one way street which is a little inconvienient trying to figure out how to get around to the entrance. it is convienient to the interstate. but you definately get what you pay for. there are no frills about this place at all. the room smelled kind of weird so definately take some air freshener if you plan to stay here. they say you get hbo, but our tv didnt. and the picture on our tv was off and no way to adjust it. it isnt in the best neighborhood but didnt have any problems in that respect during our stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank bamagirl01
Reviewed 5 November 2007

Booked the room for some clients and told the staff our clients were only to stay one night and all other charges should be charged to them directley. The staff however did not listen, charged my credit card without authorization, and never called to confirm. I found out my card was charged when I received the bill. I called to get the matter straightened out but the manager told me that I was obviously not good at my job and refused to refund my card. That is, until I told the manager that i was going to call Motel 6 corporation myself and report them to the BBB Association. They then refunded my money and told me I was no longer accepted at the hotel. My business with them is long over.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TravelDiva007