“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
Raccoon Mountain RV Park and Campground
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in cabin #8 for ONE NIGHT. Checked in after hours so there was no way to change cabins or talk to management. About 5 full spider webs across steps leading up to front door, each equipped with it's own thick black spider. About 60 little bugs that looked like tics (they weren't because they had wings) were living on the inside of the front door. Plenty of spiders and a whole lot of thick and old dust all over inside of the cabin. Top of doors - thick dust. Rim of wood just below the ceiling - thick dust. Top shelf of shower - thick dust. Floor in kitchen - sticky. Wall of bathroom - spattered with what looked like bowel movement. Cover of futon - freshly stained with what looked like baby spit-up. Futon was broken and reminded me of the old horses at the rental stable with a severely curved-back.
I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and I prefer to "rough it" in tents and cabins. I expect rustic conditions, I bring our own linens, toilet paper, Lysol, cleaner, and I love interesting and new environments. Raccoon Mountain was disgusting and unsanitary. Perhaps staying in an RV would be OK at this park, but not a cabin. I'm not even taking the time to go into other issues we had with the unit and the management that couldn't have cared less. I will tell you that I have never given a review of this nature. I can't believe I have to. Such a bad experience in this "Sanford and Son" - looking park.
I will give the cave a great review as it is well deserved, but other than that, stay FAR FAR AWAY from this place. I wish I had paid attention to the many other bad reviews about this place, it would have saved me and awful experience.

Room Tip: For the love of Pete, don't stay in cabin #8. Bring your own cleaning supplies and linens and b...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank crsolo

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I stayed a week here and it is an okay park for RV camping. Spaces are good pull throughs with tables and the management is excellent. We would definitely stay again. It is located in a great location to see Chattanooga sites.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank parkroad33
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed in cabin 1 on september 27-29th. while small, it was the biggest of the cabins with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. it had a kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave and coffee maker. all the linens were provided, but no pans or utensils or anything. which was fine for us, we just brought our electric griddle and used the grill outside. we loved it! the cabin is so cute. there was 5 of us and it was enough room. it's located at the back of the park so it was nice. with school being back in, it was pretty quiet on friday night but the only thing was right next to us were tent sites, and saturday night like 3 families were there with about 10 kids running around til pretty late at night. one even came and knocked on our door and asked to use the bathroom..haha..but that's not anything the management could help. The pool was green and gross looking. I don't think it's been used in a while but We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and will definitely be back if we are in the area. for $89 a night we were much happier than being in a hotel, and we would have payed more for a hotel. The go karts were fun for my husband (my son was too short to ride) and we also toured the caves which was awesome as well. not to mention it's close to rock mountain and ruby falls and all the other attractions of chattanooga. and there is a walmart about 2 miles away. overall very satisfied!

Room Tip: Cabin 1 is the biggest (although still small) and at the back of the park and more private than the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We chose this campground because it was a nice distance between us and our daughter/son-in-law. Previous reviews had stated the campground was crowded, run down and employees rude. They were right about the crowded part - after all, it was Labor Day Weekend! The campground is old, granted, but efforts to maintain it show. There is a new shower house that has two individual bathrooms with toilet, sink and shower. However, if one is rather wide in girth, then the non-handicapped one is not for you. Both the old and new shower houses were clean and well maintained. The sites are rather close together, especially the row closest to the office. However, we saw many very large motorhomes with multiple slideouts that appeared to have no problems (there was one that probably could hear their neighbors snore, however). Although we have a relatively small trailer, there was more than enough room for it, our truck, our daughter/son-in-law's car and their tent. We did not visit the adjacent cave, but a nearby camper and his son regaled their crawl through it. The campground is conveniently located near Lookout Mountain and other Chattanooga attractions. The only negative thing was that it rained all three days we were there. Not a constant rain, but enough to cause a mud puddle to form between the parking pads and the grassy areas. Even those campers who had large outdoor rugs experienced mud, mud, and more mud. The staff was extremely helpful. Someone had absconded with the fire ring on our site, and not only did the staff quickly bring a new one, but hauled wood we purchased right to our site. They were all very friendly, and one young man even played a nice guitar. We would definitely stay here again if future trips have us in Choo-choo.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Selected this based on previous reviews and the added benefit of caverns/arcade/go karts for the kids.
Very quiet (school is back in) and enjoyable few days. Close to dowtown so we could see the sights, but far enough away not to hear the traffic. Only two issues noted and easily correctable: super loose gravel and somewhat uneven RV sites. Otherwise, great.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I am not sure if the campgrounds were founded in 1931 like the caves but it is an older campground. With that you should expect some signs of age as the other reviews talk about. We stayed in Cabin 4. The cabin was a little smaller inside than we expected but it fit us well. I called ahead and knew to bring linens. We absolutely loved the porch with the rocking chairs and enjoyed a few rainy nights relaxing there. The pool was in good condition. The staff was extremely friendly and they seemed to be working on repairs and improvements every day. The price was right and the location was excellent. We enjoyed day trips to Lookout Mountain and the Rocky Mountain Water Plant. Stay there again? I wish I was still there right now! If you want the newer style and polished campground like a KOA, then this place may not be for you.

We did not explore the caves here but after hearing a guest at a hotel we stayed at the last two nights describe them, we wish we had chosen the caves here over Ruby Falls.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I love the cabins my husband and i stay there every time were in the area I have family in Chattanooga and the staff is always kind when they come to the cabin to visit for a day, the views are beautiful and very reasonable price way better than a hotel we have camped and stayed in a cabin last year we reserved a campsite and it was storming really bad I asked the next morning if we could move to cabin they were more than happy to help!!! We are going back this year

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple