“Wish I Could Live Here”

Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wish I Could Live Here”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at Stone Fort last year (July 2012) and it was one of my favorite parts of a great long weekend trip to Chattanooga.

There is really nothing I can complain about, as I loved everything -- the restoration of the historic building, the antique furniture, the spaciousness, the wonderfully friendly and kind staff, and oh my, the wonderful breakfast!

My accommodation, which was a free upgrade, was just lovely and so roomy and comfortable. I had, all to myself, a big bedroom, a sitting room (with a fireplace) and a huge bathroom with a giant jet tub and separate shower and separate toilet room. All of it was decorated in homey, but not too-too cute antique/lived in furniture, as you'd expect at most B&Bs, and everything was clean and fresh. There were two TVs and wifi so despite the cosiness, there was also technological comfort.

I've never stayed at a hotel suite that made me think "Wow, I wish I could live here!" I am eager to go back so I've signed up for their email newsletter, according to which they've turned their dining space into a full-service restaurant, which sounds promising as the breakfasts I had there were superb.

Room Tip: I had a suite, with a large sitting room, in addition to a large bedroom and bathroom, and having it...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 March 2013

First night stay started with great impressions. We have plans to go out on the town for dinner but, changed our mind and decided to dine at Terra Mae, the hotel's Appalician restaurant. The service was fair. The food excellent. The bar manager, Justin, has developed a wonderfully playful cocktail menu. In my view making cocktail out of whisky is an unpardonable sin. Justin has received my blessing and admiration by blending whisky into outrageous layer cocktails. My hat off to you sir. Try the Saserac and Anton. You can't go wrong. The whirlpool tub was much fun after a fun night and belly full of whisky.

Room Tip: Any room is a great choice. If you are a cigar smoker opt for a private balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit to the Stone Fort Inn. It has to be one of the best hotels in Chattanooga. Exquisite renovations made each room full of individualized character. If you are looking for a place with character, comfort and convenience, this is it! Highly recommend.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tracy City, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My wife and I had a very memorable stay at Stone Fort, complete with complimentary champagne and hors d'oeuvres waiting for us in the room. Staff was super as well as the amenities. Because the hotel is so old the floors creaked, which you could say is part of its charm. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the bed was so squeaky if was difficult to be very romantic, if you know what I mean. Still, I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to lessen the squeaky floor problem.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Stone Fort Inn in June of 2011.(not 2012) Whenever we travel we prefer to stay in Bed & Breaksfasts for several reasons. First, the innkeepers are always so friendly and accommodating to your needs, e.g. their suggestions for local attractions, restaurants, shopping, entertainment. Granted, the Concierge at a hotel basically can provide you with the same information by way of printed pamphlets handed to you before he/she politely says, "Next, please!"

There are 20 +/- romantic rooms -- all decorated so beautifully it is difficult to chose. The decor throughout the entire Inn is elegant yet welcoming. In the morning, the scent of the breakfast being prepared for us made us remember those silly cartoons where the characters fly blissfully through the air on the wake of the mouth-watering aromas.

The Inn is also at a good location in close proximity to all different activities. But don't forget the staff can give you door to door directions.

The Stone Fort Inn appeals to all ages; in fact, two nights while we there, we and a bunch of other guests sat in the bar telling each other funny jokes and stories -- one young lady (with her husband celebrating their 1st wedding anniversary) was the funniest of all !!

So, a recap of why you should stay at the Stone Fort Inn:

1) Charming elegance
2) Romantic rooms
3) Delicious made-to- order breakfasts
4) Convenient location
5) Friendly and accommodating staff
6) Oh -- did I forget to mention reasonable and competitive pricing !!

You can't lose !!

Laurel (and Bob) Monusky
Alpharetta, GA

Room Tip: The private balcony rooms are over-sized with a walkout balcony. You also get to enjoy a two-person...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Stone Fort Inn the past two days. The people working at the Stone Fort welcomed myself and my colleagues with open arms. We arrived later on Monday afternoon and were greeted with rooms that we ready and clean. We each had at least a full size bed, full bath with shower and claw foot tub, and each private balcony had a jacuzzi. We were told that if we need breakfast earlier than 7am (the normal time), that the chef would be happy to come in earlier to prepare it. They have a fully stocked bar that closes whenever you want to go to bed. We had a nice young guy serving us there and carrying on conversation. The restaurant was closed the day we were there unfortunately. Decorated in the neatest style! Lots of old charm and historic features with pops of modernism thrown in. Breakfast was prepared (at 6:45) for us, and was prompt. We were given choices of bagels, cereals, juice, milk, fresh fruit, homemade biscuits, gravy, sausage, potatoes, and bacon. Homemade and HOT out of the oven, cranberry and white chocolate scones --- TO DIE FOR! Absolutely amazing staff and wonderful atmosphere!

This B&B is a very old building, which means the floors and beds creak. I could hear my neighbor on the phone (my co-worker, so not a big deal), through the wall and I could hear my other co-worker walking around above me. None of this was a problem or a deal breaker for me. It's old, that's what should be expected. I had a wonderful stay none-the-less!

Hope to go back this summer or fall! Thank you Stone Fort Inn for welcoming me to Tennesee with such open arms!!!!!

Room Tip: Be prepared for creaking floors and squeaky beds. EAT THOSE SCONES!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Pensacola, Florida, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Spent one night in mid-January on a first date. If anything, I think the previous reviews do not give the Stone Fort justice. The location is perfect within walking distance of many attractions and it is close to the free shuttle to take you anywhere downtown. As for the Inn itself, it's beautiful, historic, clean, and extremely friendly.
Upon check-in we were greeted by the personable Dee, who promptly checked us in and informed us of their complimentary wine and cheese reception that evening. Our room(single queen) was much larger than my expectations based on the photos. Our time at the Wine and Cheese is what sold us on the place. We had a lengthy and delicious time sitting at the bar talking with the great staff (Steve, Ryan and Justin.) The craft cocktails combined with the delicious appetizers made for the perfect start to the evening. The Stone Fort has recently renovated and opened a full service bar and restaurant on the first floor. The complimentary breakfast equally matched the quality of the food the night before, and once again it was top-notch.
The room was gorgeous with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was much larger than anticipated with a very large shower and jetted tub. Highlighting the room was stereo, flat screen TV and a good view through three very large windows.

Although we moved on to explore another part of the city for our 2nd night in Chattanooga, we couldn't resist stopping back in for a pre-dinner drink and to greet our new made friends. Nick was tending bar and made us the best drink of the trip, as we enjoyed the company of the innkeeper and hostess Jackie. We thoroughly enjoyed the friendliness and professionalism of the staff.
In summmary if you are looking for a great B&B to stay, a craft cocktail or two, or a great restaurant to experience the local flavors of Chattanooga, the StoneFort Inn is a must visit. We will be back. PS - The date weekend was a big success...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple