“Excellent little boutique!”
Review of The Dwell Hotel

The Dwell Hotel
Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just returned from a New Year's eve stay at SFI and we loved it. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The building, as old as it is, has the kind of character that makes these small hotels so fun and interesting....stairways that are more useful than the elevator, somewhat creaky floors, and huge soaring ceilings. The restaurant, Terra Mae, had an excellent prix fixe dinner for the occasion, and the bar served house-made ginger beer in our Moscow Mules. I highly recommend this place! You cannot go wrong!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Dwell Hotel

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed here last weekend to visit my sister in Chattanooga. It was great. The building is a large historic hotel with old wood floors and great architectural details. It's smack in the middle of the city too and was only 5 minutes from my sister's apartment. Large suite with a HUGE and very comfortable king size bed. There was also an in-suite gas fireplace, large claw foot cast iron tub, separate shower and hardwood floors. The best part though was a private balcony with a jacuzzi tub sized for 2. Very different and cool. I loved it and plan on staying there the next time I visit Chattanooga. We didn't get a chance to try to food, but will next time! I don't rave about places online often, but will about this one. I love unique hotels and the amenities here were different and top notch. The service was great too. I wanted to soak in the tub and was missing the stopper. I called down and 5 minutes later someone brought me a stopper.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelly_Mayo
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Stone Fort Inn. This is a definite come back place! We often take gastronomically oriented vacations, and the Stone Fort's restaurant, TERRA MAE, fulfilled our very high expectations. The Chef there is superb and very attentive to the guest's requests. The wine selection is perfect even for the most demanding wine connoisseur.
The bedrooms are very romantic and they inspire you to fall in love once again.
The staff was very helpful with our requests and always had the right attitude.
We highly recommend this precious gem of a boutique Hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I booked this hotel for my husband as a Christmas gift. We do not have family so I wanted us to have a nice distraction from the fact that everyone else is spending the holidays with their families. With that in mind, I booked at this botique hotel thinking that we would get better, more personalized service than one of the large chains like Marriott, etc. Boy was I wrong. The fact that we received very impersonal service was only further highlighted by the fact that it was a smaller inn and the fact that there were only a few other guests there the same night.
First- I called ahead to ask if they knew of any restaurants that served dinner on Christmas Eve. "I'm sorry, I don't" was the reply. Through a quick google search I found Hennen's a few blocks away was open (and wonderful by the way). It would have been nice to get a good referral from the Inn. Even if they offered to find out and call me back that would have been nice. Nope, we were on our own.
Second- No breakfast for us! I read reviews on Yelp and saw that someone else had missed breakfast and was disappointed, so I made a point to look on-line and get the time of the breakfast so that we did not miss it. Additionally, when we checked in we asked the lady there to show us where breakfast was served. (Take note- we were one of only 3 guests in the inn). So imagine our surprise when we came down for breakfast at 9:20am and were met with "I'm sorry, you missed it". Well stupid me I guess for assuming that the weekend breakfast hours would be observed on the holiday (8:30am-10am) as opposed to the weekday hours (7am-9am). I guess she didn't notice that we didn't come down? She could have stated the hours the day before when she showed us the location of where it was served, seeing as how 7-9am is pretty early for breakfast, especially considering we are from Nashville and on central time. But again, I guess for her to notice any of this would have been personalized service, which they apparently do not offer. It would have been nice for them to even offer a little concession (even like just $20) for the missed breakfast, as a show of consideration, but nope, just a big smile, a tilted head and an "Oh I'm sorry".

What a disappointment for my husbands Christmas gift. We actually joked that instead of a B&B we just got the "B". We ended up going to a little diner around the corner in the Day's Inn hotel that was pretty good considering how limited our choices were for Christmas morning.
I am a very frequent traveler and have stayed in many hotels, Botique Inns and B&B's so I am CERTAIN of what type of service to expect from each type of place. The Stone Fort Inn is a place that would one would expect more personalized service and consideration (especially moreso on a holiday and when the inn is nearly empty!). Instead of the warm fuzzys we expected, we felt like tolerated guests for a night. It is sad because we are always looking for favorite places to get away to on a regular basis. Stone Fort Inn fell short so our next trip to Chattanooga we will be trying the Chanticleer Inn B&B.
I just realized I didn't mention the room! The bed on one side had a huge dip in it but was otherwise comfy. The rooms do look just like they show on line. Our disappointment was all about the lack of service, as the room itself was nice. One more silly thing that I noticed..there are a lot of nails and nail holes that need to be patched and touch-up painted. It looks like some redecorating or moving things around was done, but they left all the old nails in place. I'm a stickler for details so they just stuck out to me.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi tub room with the king beds are the biggest and most comfortable. Also the building is c...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PVBMOM3
DavidMitchellCHA, Public Relations Manager at The Dwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We are sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience, especially on a
holiday. It is always our goal to provide a special experience for our
guests, and it is unfortunate we missed the mark for you and your husband.
We were keeping our weekday breakfast hours and you just missed our
breakfast cook's departure. We offered to prepare something special for you
so as not to disappoint, and offered a late checkout time to accommodate
your decision to go to a nearby café. As for the issue with a restaurant
recommendation, we are sorry that this was not handled better. We are glad
to hear that you found the rooms as pictured and were comfortable for your
stay. We like to do whatever is possible to make our guests feel at home,
whether it's the newly redecorated rooms or bringing up ice for a guest's
bottle of wine as we did for you and your husband. We hope that, as frequent
travelers, you will give us another try in the New Year next time you are in
Chattanooga. We would love another opportunity to show you the level of
hospitality we have built our reputation on and that each of our guests
deserves.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is a find! My friends and I like to experience an "insider's" view of a city, not much of the touristy stuff. This was the place to stay to do that! For one thing their in-house farm to table restaurant, TerraMae, was phenomenal! If we were locals we would be back every time Chef Shelley Cooper were to change her seasonal menus. The Stone Fort inn itself is a great blend of a bed and breakfast feel and a more upscale hotel. Still an old building and kind of quirky, but gorgeous. The service was phenomenal! James and Nikia were so helpful and entertaining. Nikia pretty much custom designed our entire trip. From coffee to wine to art, man she knows her stuff! Took the time make sure she had our personal tastes figured out before making recommendations, and clearly knows what's what in downtown Chattanooga. James is also a great personality, long time local of Chattanooga, as well as very southern and hospitable. Great staff! Will stay here again if we ever come back to Chattanooga.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We purchased the newlywed package which included milk and cookies, live flower arrangement, candlelit bath, cheese platter, chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, $80 credit to terra mae, and breakfast in bed. Everything was exquisite and the staff could no have been nicer. Our room was absolutely perfect, complete with balcony, a fireplace, and beautiful chandeliers. The hotel is nestled right in the heart of downtown within walking distance to all the local restaurants/bars. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife picked this boutique Hotel in downtown Chattanooga because its description was good and the location was great. We were overwhelmed by their hospitality. Everyone was wonderful to us. The hotel has a wonderful history and adjacent restaurant. One of the amazing elements is the frames of the mirrors. The wood is spectacular. Each room is unique with original wood floors and updated washroom facilities. Breakfast is in the restaurant. We met the 'morning chef' who prepared perfect poached & scrambled eggs for us. He also told us a lot about the area and how excited he and his young family are to live in the Chattanooga area, with all the outdoor activity options and vibrant downtown. Stone Fort Inn is a piece of Chattanooga's history and everyone we met is an ambassador. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, pick rooms away from 10th Street if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple