The Dwell Hotel
US$163
Residence Inn
US$145
US$175
Staybridge Suites near Hamilton Place(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$210
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn - Hamilton Place(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$210
US$198
  • Breakfast included
US$163
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chattanooga(Chattanooga)(Great Value!)
US$110
Hotels.com
US$232
US$224
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
All reviewsstone fort innb bterra maeboutique hotelprivate balconygas fireplacehardwood floorsdowntown chattanoogawalk in showerbreakfast was includedharrisonearplugsfurnishingsbalconiestubmattressvalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I read a lot of reviews and noticed, as with most reviews, there was a mixture of positives and negatives. We decided to spend our anniversary weekend at the Stone Fort Inn. If the price had been cheaper, I might have been able to over look some of the problems. However, for the price we paid I was dissapointed.

The first night: We had room 23 on the 2nd floor, in the front of the building. At first glance, the room was beautiful. However, we quickly noticed water damage on the ceiling and the walpaper was peiling. It just was very distracting from the beauty. In addition, the wall behind the bathroom sink needed wiping down as there was toothpaste all over it. Plus, the head board of the bed was sooooo dusty. It was beautiful and had lots of detail work but it clearly had not been dusted or cleaned in a long time. Overall, the room just felt half way done and halfway clean. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but not terrible. I will say, the street noise was very loud and there is a street light right outside the window that is pretty bright. I keep waking up thinking it was the sun coming up.

The next day, my husband asked if we could be moved to a room that didn't have water damage. So they sent us up to the top floor, room 36 I think. This room was in the back of the hotel and much quieter and darker at night. I slept much better in this room. The bed was also noticably softer. The room felt a little bit cleaner too. They put a bottle of pelligrino water in your room, which would be nice except in our 2nd room there was stuff floating in the water. It was pretty gross.

Breakfast was good. It is a buffet and you order eggs the way you like. The 2nd morning it took a long time to get our scrambled eggs. I wish they had a bowl of scrambled eggs at the buffet and they you could order different type of eggs if you wish. That would be nice.

Overall, the inn felt almost good. It was almost clean, almost comfortable, and almost nice. The staff there were almost friendly. I was appreciative of them moving us to a different room. But for the price we paid, I expected better from the start.

I will say that the suites with the private balcony tubs did look nicer. But I wouldn't stay there again.

Cons:
Not very comfortable.
Not very clean.
Not very friendly.
Water damage in room.

Pros:
Pretty good breakfast.
Walking distance to things downtown.

Tips:
Stay on the 3rd floor in the back of the building.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor in the back of the hotel for a quieter night.
3  Thank Laura C
JackiePRelations, Public Relations Manager at The Dwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your anniversary. Congratulations on your milestone.

We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and appreciate that we are located within walking distance to things downtown. You referenced the street noise in your comments. We would just remind you that you were staying in the heart of downtown in an urban inn, but that sort of noise is not a usual occurrence. It is typically quieter and more peaceful.

We strive to provide a unique boutique urban inn experience in our historic building, yet we are competitively priced to other hotels in the downtown area. We are not a chain hotel, so apple to apple comparisons are difficult to make.

Thank you for letting us know about the housekeeping concerns. We do check each room daily, but we will bring your comments to the staff’s attention because we agree that a clean, comfortable room and friendly service are vital in the hospitality industry.

As for your comments on there being “gross stuff” floating in the Pelligrino water in your room, we are trying to figure out how that could be since the bottles come sealed.

We regret that we did not fully live up to your expectations on such an important occasion, but your comments give us feedback we can use to focus on improving. We are glad we were able to switch your room and that you had a better experience after.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived later in the evening and had to be let in through a locked door. The inn keeper simply said "last name?", hastily handed us our room key and a sheet of paper with information on it, and proceeded back on to her computer.

Upon entering our room we noticed several items including someone's plastic garbage, and a camera battery charger laying in the room. The room had an essence of dust and mildew in it.
As I locked the door I noticed the door bolt simply slid into an unfinished wood slot. It would only take a light pull to break the door jam. Upon further inspection of the room I noticed what looked like a mold growing on the ceiling.

The bed seemed clean and the bathroom area was clean albeit very outdated. Next to the bed lay two sets of earplugs, I wondered if there was a reason they would put those there. At just after midnight as we lay in bed trying to fall asleep, drunk people started yelling outside of our window. The paper thin windows did nothing to deaden the sound. I used the ear plugs. The room had nice wood blinds but they did not sufficiently block street light.

The breakfast was good and the service during breakfast was great. Whoever makes the breakfast (blue haired lady) did an awesome job. She took our custom egg order and they were delicious!

Overall it seemed as though the owners of the place had kind of given up on it. Some restorations, updates, manager/room-cleaning training would go a long way with this place. It has so much potential.

3  Thank Marcus F

We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the service. Thank you for recognizing the extra effort she made for you.

As for the service in greeting you, you arrived at the inn around midnight. Our key staff is only in the lobby until around 10 pm, so the person who let you in was not the innkeeper. We appreciate your comment so we know to do a better job of training our overnight staff. We pride ourselves on greeting our guests warmly.

You referenced the noise outdoors. We would just remind you that you were staying in the heart of downtown in an urban inn, but that sort of noise is not a usual occurrence. It is typically quieter and more peaceful. Our own bar closes at 10 pm to minimize that sort of noise.

Thank you for making us aware of the housekeeping issues you pointed out. We do have someone who checks the rooms daily, but we will bring this to their attention and make sure it is being addressed.

We are focused on becoming an inn that lives up to your expectations. We appreciate you suggesting areas where we should concentrate those efforts.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Built as elegant hotel in 1909, The Stone Fort still offers the elegance and charm of the OLD SOUTH. It is located near the center of downtown; and offers comfortable walking distance to a number of excellent restaurants. But, no need to leave THE STONE FORT as they offer wonderful bar, wine tasting, and dinners on the main floor of the hotel.
Elaborate breakfast starts at 7 am; and, offers a complete menu selection from granola to eggs to bacon, meats and numerous other selections. The Coffee is especially gourmet! Your stay includes this excellent breakfast. Weekend stays include a complimentary wine and cheese hour.
They offer a wide variety of rooms, with three room suites , rooms with balconies and hot tubs outside. Every room has large French showers and large bathtubs.
Each room is decorated with what I call OLD WORLD CLASS AND STYLE. Our room had Victorian couches and Setee, and period chairs. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. And, they have Wi Fi in every room. The AC was great for keeping us COOL!!

Rates due vary; however , for what we received I fell it is a rare find bargain.
Special commendation to Front Desk Manager Samantha Sharp, who is manager, receptionist, bell hop, tour advisor, and brings in extra chair for my computer; and, many other chores which we need.

Edward Altman

Eddie Altman, Jr.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are a little better. They have stairs , and a elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eddiethea
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was back in Chattanooga on business. This was the second time that I've stayed at the Stone Fort Inn. It's still the best deal going. As someone who travels regularly for work, it's refreshing to be able to stay in a lovely hotel that does not look like all the other ones I've stayed in. The room was comfortable and the breakfast is great - much better than what you'll get anywhere else - that I promise. The staff is friendly and helpful and quick to help provide guidance on places to eat. I will definitely continue to stay here as my hotel of choice when I am in the area.

Room Tip: If you get a room off the main street, it is quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We normally stay at chain hotels but took a chance on the StoneFort at the last minute because of a weekday promotion. It was fantastic. Sure, the Inn is a bit old, but that's what adds to the charm, because it has all the modern conveniences and a great staff to boot. I cannot figure out for the life of me how anyone could knock the cool downtown vibe that is urban sophisticated for this country dude from Dickson, Tn. Highly recommended for comfort, cleanliness, and a great restaurant. We stayed on the second floor in a queen room and slept great plus it had a huge bathroom. Samantha was so nice at the desk!