“The Best Place to Stay in Chattanooga, TN”
Review of The Dwell Hotel

The Dwell Hotel
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We were treated like one of the family by the staff. Everyone there was very warm and friendly. The Inn is decorated with turn of the century furnishing. Our room was decorated beautifully with an ajoining sitting room. The bathroom was huge with a French shower and a large jacuzzi tub. We had internet access in every room. The TV's were equiped with VHS players and a large supply of videos if ever you get bored. We never did. A wonderful breakfast was served in a beautiful dining room with fresh flowers on each table. A large library is available for reading. We had easy access to parking, but rarely needed to use the car. We could walk to anywhere we decided to visit. The staff was also helpful at suggesting great places to eat.
James H. & Deborah Sudderth

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank baileespoppa

Reviewed 24 September 2009

While the primary purpose of our trip to Chattanooga was business, we wanted to throw some pleasure in there, too. Staying at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo -- now a Holiday Inn property -- wasn't in our plans. We looked at B&B's elsewhere in town and then we found the Stone Fort Inn. Thank goodness! This place is one of those serendipities that happen only occasionally. The downtown location is great and is walking distance to the Electric Shuttle. The Inn is renovated top to bottom and is gracious and luxurious while retaining a price point that is similar to a mid-range chain hotel. Each room has a two-person jacuzzi and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite, which includes a separate sitting room with fireplace. Every room is decorated uniquely, all with antiques, and are spotlessly clean. Beds are comfortable with high quality linens. Bathrooms are stocked with Aveda products, and you'll find a bowl of freshly-baked cookies in the hallway outside your room.

Breakfasts are outstanding thanks to the culinary skills of Brian, a professional chef who also is one of the managers. The evening wine and cheese is more than just the typical cheese cubes; instead, there is a nice assortment of cheeses including dill Havarti, brie, sharp cheddar and more and the evenings we were there they were pouring more than adequate South African bottles.

We spent three nights at the Stone Fort and I felt genuinely sad when we had to leave. What a great place -- next time we're in Chattanooga, we'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Leenda324
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I would have put a five star rating, but I'm stingy with the five stars... I don't think I've given one yet. The service was great at the Stone Fort. The bathroom was amazing. The pillows could be softer, and the shades could shield the light more effectively. However, the freshly baked cookies, the helpful Brian, the awesome antique Coke machine... those things made up for any shortcomings of comfort in the bedroom. I guess it wasn't super quiet, but that didn't bother us; it's what got us to wake up and try the delicious breakfast, where the service was wonderful again. You should definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjgjess
Reviewed 9 July 2009

The StoneFort Inn is a lovely B&B with comfortable public areas and a wonderful breakfast, both in the quality of the food and the service. Our room was very comfortable, with a cozy, tall, fluffy bed. Although the staff is small, our needs were always met quickly. The location is convenient to all downtown attractions, if you are a good walker. But, people with mobility issues could access the free downtown shuttle fairly easily.

Yes, the floors squeak and the rooms are not all uniform. It's a restored historic building. (If you are sensitive to noise, request a 3rd floor room when you book.) Yes, there is some street noise, and there is some exposure to urban conditions. It's downtown. Yes, you may have to wait a couple of minutes for assistance. The staff is small, but will attend to you as soon as they are free from helping other guests. Travelers looking for a uniform facility, free from quirks, and nearly complete isolation from other guests and staff should consider a large modern chain hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bagpipe_Mouse
Reviewed 2 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic night away. It was perfect! The hotel oozes charm and character. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous! The bed was large and overstuffed...super comfy. Every room has a whirlpool jacuzi tub for two. Some rooms have balconies with jacuzis...it just depends on your price point. We loved the fresh-baked cookies waiting for us after dinner. Breakfast was a lovely spread of cereals, oatmeal, croissants, fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, fresh juices, coffee, and tea. We were also given a chioce of quiche or eggs and bacon. It was delicious! The hotel is a bout a block away from the free shuttle service that takes you to many tourist attractions around the city. I would highly recommend this unique hotel to all my couple friends!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danyabe
Reviewed 27 June 2009

My wife and I had visited Chattanooga in January to scout a trip with friends for April. We visited several hotels/inns and when we went to the Stonefort Inn we were shown around by James and given a hot cup of coffee on a cold January day. When we returned in April, we were not disappointed at all as Edie and James were perfect hosts and our friends complimented us on our selection of this inn. It is very convenient to the free electric bus system that travels between the Chattanooga Choo-Choo and the aquarium area. Suggestions for dinner were very good and a fine restaurant was in walking distance of the inn.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jekyll
Reviewed 23 June 2009

First let me say that I am a big foodie. The gourmet breakfast on Saturday morning is amazing. A wonderful dining room, service, and the food is amazing. The scones were my favorite. The Inn is nice, quaint, and I felt an overall great place to stay. It is kind of far from other downtown attractions such as the Bluff View Art District, North Shore, Aquarium, etc. Far is kind of a relevant term though. It's a 2 minute ride to get to all of that. I probably wouldn't walk it though.

It was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast. It was definitely a lot different then the major hotels I have stayed at. I had to go find the innkeeper when I wanted to check in. He was in a room doing something. Not a big deal though. The floors do creek a lot. I'd definitely be forewarned of that. Other then that it was interesting decor, atmosphere, and definitely felt like you were sleeping in somebodys home. The room was very spacious. I'm glad we went (especially for the breakfast). They also offered a wine/cheese hour on Friday night that we were not able to take advantage of because I was in a wedding.

Parking can be sketchy at best. There aren't a lot of spaces in their lot (or spaces that they own during the week).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple