“Nice place to stay”
Review of Sky Harbor Court

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
Sky Harbor Court
Ranked #3 of 9 Chattanooga B&B and Inns
Lutz, Florida
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Sky Harbor is a small rustic inn with a great view. It is located on Lookout Mountain which enables convenient access to the tourist attractions on the mountain (Rock City, Ruby Falls, Point Park, etc). Each room has a great view of the Tennessee river, nature, and Chattanooga. It is not fancy or new, it is rustic, quaint, and homey. The owners are nice people.
I stayed there 4 nights and never left the mountain, the attractions are conveniently near by. There is a local business that will deliver food from local restaurants to your room.
I enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank John N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Winston Salem
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was travelling through Chattanooga for just one night and decided to stay here based on the amazing views and the reviews on Tripadvisor. The room was very cozy and the view from the balcony was fabulous. Patsy was super friendly and the room was very clean. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Vanessa S
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have visited this establishment on several occasions over the past 25 years. The overall enjoyment is in the character, old style charm, and fantastic view from the room. Nestled atop Lookout Mountain, TENN Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn provides one surprise after another. There is a shallow swing pool, outdoor fire pits, walking path (for those who like to walk the dog), it is pet friendly (you do have to mind your pet), absolutely gorgeous night views and in the morning, fresh coffee with pastry. Take a pair of binoculars as the views will more than make up for the lacking proximity of restaurants. However, you will be closer to a lot of main attractions on Lookout Mt. If you are ready to 'step outside of the box' for a different experience in hotels, then this is the place to be. Give it a try, what have you to lose but the missed experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Perry H
pisgah, al
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Sky Harbor has a view to die for! Patsy will make you feel very welcome. Very close to Ruby Falls, the Incline Railway, and Rock City and just a few minutes from Downtown Chattanooga. You wont be dissappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KYBPISGAH
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Met the inlaws family @ Sky Harbor Bavarian Inn and we rented 4 rooms. All the rooms all had flat screen televisions, great views , and nice seperate balconies. We were able to rent the Skybox Event room and it was a perfect place for everyone to hang out and have dinner together. There was a large balcony area off off the Skybox and they had a grill and a kitchen area to prepare food for everyone. There was also a big flat screen TV , a sofa, and several high top tables and enough seating for everybody. Great views of the river and downtown Chattanooga. The owners (Steve and Patsy) were great and very accommodating. I returned with my family for Christmas and we had a great time. Would definitely recommend renting the event space if you have a large group. Also very close to all of the main tourist attractions.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank raevans3
Elk Grove, California, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Here I am going to give you a very detailed review of Sky Harbor Court (Bavarian Inn) based on my experiences over the last 28 years. I have read the negative reviews and they are troubling as I find Patsy and Steve Evans (the owners) to be two of the most wonderful people I know. I am very sorry for those who have had an unfortunate experience there. I know this is painful not just for the customer but also for the Evans' as well. NO one wants to have a bad experience and no one wants to write a bad review. I feel for both the customer and the Evans in this regard and do not wish to invalidate either of them. And for the record, I am NOT a relative!

So here's my story. When my husband and I first married 28 yrs ago, we journeyed through Chattanooga enroute to my home in Memphis. We saw Sky Harbor Court and decided to stay there because it looked so quaint. A sweet old lady ran the place. It was old, it was a bit scary in terms of safety (the balcony!) haha, there was NO coffee, NO nothing, just a GREAT view for $19 a night! Yes, old. Yes, things didn't work well. Very little hot water. Amenities? none. But we loved the view, and for $19 we decided to come back the next year, like an Anniversary Anniversary! WE Kept coming back each year!

As the years passed, small changes were made, then it was sold to Scott. Scott made some great changes to the balconies. He added cosmetic changes everywhere. He seemed to have a great commitment to the place, but then HE sold it! We were devastated! We had great hopes in him as we felt he really seemed dedicated to the place!

The Evans bought it. Who were the Evans? Would they care for this place as much as we cared for it in our hearts? Although we went there when it was a weak mountainside inn, halfway falling down the mountain, but then with great views!, this inn was very special to us! Sometimes we felt it was our own! We were actually a bit judgmental when the Evans bought it. We felt we knew way more than they did!

And then we began to notice the changes, every year. For those of you who say: "with a little TLC, this inn could be a really nice inn." Well, let me tell you about TLC. Patsy and Steve sunk tons of money into revamping the balconies, putting separation barriers up between them. The steps to the rooms (which were crumbling), were redone. Landscaping was added, fountains were added, plants and flowers were added. Parking spots were numbered. Refrigerators were added to the rooms. The little room that only had attraction flyers became the coffee room, with a vending machine, donut holes for the morning, a microwave, and an ice machine. (Sorry, yes there is no full breakfast!) THEN they changed some rooms to suites, with spas and a kitchen! THEN they built the DECK! I clearly remember running down the steps onto a handrail overhanging on a rock to see the view! NOW it is a deck with tables and chairs! But let's not stop there! Now the deck has been doubled with more tables and chairs, just beneath the the SkyBox.....Rooms 5 and 6 that are now converted into a reception hall with full TV, Kitchen, tables, chairs, sofas, bathrooms, all with a new balcony coming down onto the new deck! A swimming pool was added years ago in a spot where once a dilapidated trailer sat! All surrounded by beautiful trees! I once actually paid for a room when there were transients living below in the lower rooms! The lower rooms were all redone, all put together as a major apartment, with a kitchen, living room, bedrooms, spa, where presently just her family members reside. No more transients! Signs were changed, colors were changed....I could go on and on. I'm sure I have left out many other changes. I have watched this family change this place each and every year to the most wonderful mountainside resort imaginable, with incredible charm, and with incredible care. I have watched them struggle with the 90 yr old plumbing, with how to build a deck on the side of a mountain, with how to add a pool on the side of a mountain too!, with the constant bugs (they spend $500 a month just on bug spray)...duh...it IS near the woods! and have witnessed their heart and soul go into this inn! They can't change everything all at once; they have to live and pay their bills and support their children. And for those who don't know, they run this inn while Steve has a full time job! So for those who think they don't care or don't work hard to make the Inn what it "could be", then you don't know the Evans and you don't know what it takes to run an inn that's 90 yrs old!

Let's talk about Location! 5 minutes to Ruby Falls, 10 minutes to Point Park (the top), 15 min to Rock City, 10 min to downtown! What could be better?????

As for it being Outdated. Well of course it is! It's an Inn from 1938....and although not an antique, Patsy has done a great job keeping the furniture 40s, 50s, 60s etc. It's supposed to be from that era! She doesn't want to make it "modern" and I wouldn't come back if it were! The toilet is old, the bathtub is old, the sink is old, the doorknobs are old, the floors are beautifully redone wood, the TV of course is modern, and now there is a phone (which wasn't before), and now there is wifi. This place is OLD! But Patsy does a great job of keeping it that way and making it affordable and attractive to guests! Yes! Sometimes, you feel like you are "leaning downhill" when you are in the tub, well, welcome to being on the mountain! The rooms are quaint, cute, outdated, but modern with refrig, heater, phone, TV, wifi. Pls let's NOT change the atmosphere of Sky Harbor! It's supposed to be an old inn or motel from the older days! I love the old pictures, I love the older style comforters! Sorry there is NO blow dryer, NO iron, NO shampoo, NO cream rinse. The towels are fine, the sheets are fine, the bathroom small (old style), the water HOT! Love it! Let's keep it outdated!

NOW THE VIEW! There is none better! The inn overlooks the fork of the Tenn River as it bends around Moccasin Bend enroute to downtown Chattanooga. So you can see all of Moccasin Bend, the River, and downtown Chatt. I think the elevation of the inn is about 500 feet, but I am guessing. It's on the northeast corner of Lookout, just off the northeast side of Point Park. It's not very high up, but just high enough for a great view! Yes, there is I-24 down below ( I never heard it), and Cummings Pkwy (41) just beneath (but never a problem)....For those who commented negatively about the view being a "mental hospital" and nothing more, SHAME ON YOU! Yes! There is a hospital on the end of Moccasin Bend just beneath the inn, the fact that it is a mental hospital should NOT be a factor. It is all part of the city of Chattanooga, which is the view that you have! and it's a GREAT view! Look beyond the city at the mountains, Look northwest to Signal Mountain, Look east to Missionary Ridge! Wonderful! Esp beautiful from the balconies, or from the new decks!

Bugs! Good grief people! Bugs are everywhere in the woods! Yes tho Patsy sprays all the time, sometimes you will find bugs in your room. This year has been a big year for stink bugs and lady bugs, and they were surely there when we were there! No worry!

Now for those who complained about Patsy and her rules. Patsy is quite sensitive to her inn and the comments she gets from customers. Some have said that she "cannot deal with criticism". She can. I have regularly offered suggestions and have made complaints! But I appreciate her and what she's done. It's all how you do it. But I will tell you this. She wants NO ONE to stay there if she does not think they will be happy. So she routinely turns away previously booked guests who complain about things the moment they get there. She knows she canNOT change the nature of the inn. She knows she canNOT make it modern. She knows she canNOT make the bugs go away! So she is quick to send people on their merry way if she feels they will NOT be happy! She's NOT being rude. She just doesn't want people to stay there if it is NOT what they expected; she is eager to give a refund. As for those people who complained about being charged extra for dogs.....pls know that NO motel I know of anywhere (and I travel with my dogs all the time), allows you to keep your dogs in the room while you are gone. You canNOT keep your dogs in the room if you are visiting attractions on Lookout Mountain. You have to be courteous to other guests. I believe sincerely that if you have any complaint with Patsy, that she will honor that complaint, if she herself feels honored. This really is a Mom and Pop establishment and it is a wonderful one. Give them the same courtesy that you would expect from them.

Now Patsy and Steve have become our dear friends, but we were skeptical at first. They knew we appreciated the inn, and we appreciated their hard work at making it really special. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Chattanooga. They--the Evans---have absolutely made this Inn Iconic----they have kept its history, kept its quaintness, all the while making it as modern as it can be without giving it up. I applaud them and thank them! Otherwise, I would not have anywhere special to go for my Anniversary!

If you want history, old, charm, quaint, views, then this Inn is for you. If you are looking for modern amenities, go somewhere else. Let's keep Sky Harbor the way it is!

Room Tip: Pick Room 7 or 10....7 has a King size bed, 10 has 2 queens, both with great views. 8 and 9 are in...