“Nice property--probably a little over-rated on Tripadvisor though”

TownePlace Suites Chattanooga Near Hamilton Place
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Did I have any problems with my stay? No. Was it basically what I expected? Yes. But is this a top-5 property in the greater Chattanooga area...I say probably not.

First, this is a typical middle of the road property--okay amenities but nothing special.
There is a reason that TownePlace Suites sits in the middle of the Marriott property family. Okay, let me get to the review.

First, check-in was quick and smooth. The front desk clerk was also helpful about giving us info about the local area. No problems here. I would not say that this place is located in a great area. I read some reviews that glowed over the location. Yes, it is close to I-75 exit. It is across the parking lot from the Residence Inn. It is around the corner from several other hotels. But there is definitely nothing within walking distance. Bad area--absolutely not; but great area--absolutely not either.

The room itself was clean and met my expectations. As you would expect, small mini kitchen, dining table that could sit four and we had two double beds. The bathroom sink was seperate from the shower/toilet room--always a positive in my eyes. Just a couple of other thoughts--laminate flooring in the bathroom area and the decor was contemporary and nice. Just another aside--my wife commented on how pretty the orange, large polka dot shower curtain was!

I would say that the shower/toilet area was a little smaller than most. The bed was comfortable. My only complaint was the pillows. They were extremely soft. I stacked two together and I still thought my neck didn't have enough support. I would recommend bringing your own pillows if you are picky in this area. So, because of this, I would say that I didn't have a great night's sleep. One positive was that the hotel was very quiet though--even though it was packed (sold out I believe). The walls and insulation must be great here!

The only other amenitiy we used was the indoor pool. It was a saltwater pool. I didn't get in but the kids did say the water was cloudy and "different." They also had a hot tub in this area too. but all in all, I thought this was a nice area. 'The only issue was the towels were out and we had to go up to the front on two different occasions to get pool tools.

Having started with the wording of "over-rated," this is a nice property. I would definitely stay here again if passing through the area. We really didn't have any issues. But to say this is one of the nicest places in the area is a stretch. Just downgrade your expectations somewhat. I would comfortably say this is a 3-star level property that is clean and well maintained. Thus, it gets my very good rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Milbs_40

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night with our 3 kids. The rooms are very nice and it has a full kitchen (including a dishwasher). Breakfast is included and the lobby is very quaint where you get to eat your food. There is a nice fire pit by the front entrance that would be great in the winter months. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool also.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank crsteph70
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We chose this hotel based on the previous reviews and the value. I'm very glad we did. It was a very nice, clean hotel with friendly employees. Our room was clean and spacious with comfy beds and a kitchenette. The free continental breakfast was good but you get the basics: boiled eggs, waffles, yogurt, cereal, fruit, biscuits, granola bars, oatmeal, Poptarts, juice, coffee, and milk. The fitness room, while small, is open 24 hours with two nice treadmills that actually work. I didn't care for the location of the hotel, but it is right next to a Microtel and Residence Inn so I assume it's safe. There's plenty of dining options around, and the mall and other stores are just around the corner. It's definitely a great value based on the amenities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank crissycurry
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel (a Marriott hotel) was the perfect halfway point on our way down and back from Florida.
Absolutely the best, most friendly staff. Rooms are well appointed and fresh. Many restaurants close by.
A hard to come by, pet friendly hotel, our old English sheepdog enjoyed the stay also.

We will always make this hotel our first choice on our future trips to the Sunshine State!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed just one night while passing through Chattanooga, and what a wonderful surprise. The hotel lobby was clean and nicely decorated, the employee at the front desk was friendly and professional, and the room was fantastic. This would be a great place to stay with a family or for an extended stay. The breakfast wasn't anything spectacular but was adequate and the staff kept things cleaned and stocked. The hotel is off of main roads which was nice, but was still within minutes of shopping and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again if we ever find ourselves back in Chattanooga.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This place is great! It is an extended stay hotel, so your room includes a kitchenette with silverware and plates and things, a dishwasher, a cooktop and microwave, a nice-sized kitchen sink with disposal, and a proper fridge/freezer. The hotel is in excellent condition. AND the price is really reasonable, even if you are only staying for one night, like we did. The price is significantly lower than similarly-rated hotels in the area which don't have the kitchenette. Our room was lovely and really clean, with granite countertops and very comfortable beds. The staff is helpful and friendly and they have an indoor pool and fitness center, and a coin-operated laundry room. The bathroom area has the sink/mirror separate from the toilet/bathtub area. The tub and shower/bath part is cramped, I will admit, but it's new and clean. The breakfast is included and it is ok but not stellar. It would be nice if they had prepared scrambled eggs and hash browns like in a Hampton Inn. But it's not like you'll go hungry; there's stuff! The neighborhood is the Shallowford Road area, near a huge mall/shopping and restaurant complex called Hamilton Place. I've stayed in several hotels in this neighborhood over the years and they are all good, but I think this particular hotel gives you the best value for your money. The area feels safe, which is a definite plus, but it is a neighborhood built for cars, not pedestrians. (Anybody who lives in the United States of America knows what I'm talking about!). The neighborhood doesn't have the character of Lookout Mountain or downtown. However, those places aren't too far of a drive. . . Chattanooga is a really convenient city that way; not a lot of traffic hassles that I've seen. I highly recommend this hotel! And while you are in the Hamilton Place shopping area, don't miss The Acropolis Restaurant -- great Greek food and it is NOT part of a national chain! They have a flaming cheese thing that is fun!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VTraveler827
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for a wedding we were attending. We found the hotel to be very nice. The lobby and breakfast area are connected. The breakfast each morning is adequate. Nothing special. The food is satisfactory but all pre-packaged. The breakfast woman was very very nice and did her best to keep the area clean and well stocked. The room was wonderful. Very spacious with a nice kitchnette and table for cards or eating. Very nice accomodations and very clean. We enjoyed sitting around the firepit at night. That is a nice touch. Good location. Very close to the airport and about 10 minutes from downtown. Do not purchase snacks from them. Very expensive. There is a grocer less than 5 minutes from them. Stock up there! All in all, glad we choose this as our place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family