“Hidden Delight”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings
Good for: Business meetings
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We have eaten here a couple times. We really loved it the first time and wanted to go back.We were worried as, like some of the other reviews listed here say,sometimes the parking lot appears empty. When we looked again at the "take home" menu we noticed that the Buffet Hours are: For Lunch- 11:30AM to 3:00 PM....We realized when we go by, to run our errands, it is usually around 3 or 4pm....When they are closed...Dinner Hours are: 5:00 to 10:00PM...So we went for our Anniversary Wed.May 8, 2013 at about 6pm. and they were opened. The food is Fantastic.We really loved what we had.It melted in our mouths.The service is great and friendly.We love to try new foods and love Indian food.This dishes are unique, and if you need them to make it mild or even extra mild they will make it to your taste.I don't like the "hot" spices,but made mild allowed me to taste all the other spices. We can't wait to go back. The building is plain and unassuming but the atmosphere inside is great,and it "is" clean. We highly recommend it. It is well worth a visit. Spread the word.Lets keep this place open.

1  Thank tigermoongirl

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Well, I have never been to India and could not tell you whether the recipes are overly Americanized or not. What I can tell you is that I enjoy the buffet each and every time I return. Brave the yellow beast of a building for you will find a smiling greeter and possibly a handshake from the owner as well as a clean establishment in which to chow down.

1  Thank Rosemaryismyname
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Food is all buffett style which is always to br avoided. Parking lot is almostg always near empty = that should tell you something!

Reviewed 17 June 2012

The owner shakes your hand which I appreciate. I didn't order off menu, but had food bar which every thing was hot and delicious. Resaturant was clean and neat on inside. Had no funky odors! I would diffently go back.

1  Thank shadowaero
Reviewed 1 June 2012

India Mahal
5970 Brainerd Rd
Probably because I had just prepared an Indian meal, Mrs. Mynkint suggested we give Mahal a try.
Sitting forlornly on a barren patch of asphalt on a corner lot, the bright yellow building looked like a deserted gas station. It had obviously been reincarnated from a Mexican establishment. The interior was little change from its past life, save for white paint and glass-topped clothed tables. The room was well lighted and clean.
We had decided to avail ourselves of the buffet ($9) in order to try a variety of dishes. Service (refills of drinks, clearing plates, etc.) was appropriate for a buffet, and the owner (?) brought fresh Nan around during the meal.
Buffet items were clearly labeled. Unfortunately, Indian restaurant language suffers more from homogenization and Americanization then most cuisines and what you read isn’t necessarily what you get. Another feature at Mahal (and many, if not most, Indian restaurants) is the use of URS; Ubiquitous Red Sauce. URS has the flavor and consistency of a store-brand cream of tomato soup, and bears no relation to the yogurt or cream enriched sauces of Northern India. URS was in 5 of the 8 buffet items and dominated 3.
Basmati rice. Dal “makhini”- based on a Northern dish of black lentils and one or two other pulses with spices, butter, and light tomato and cream, this was dominated by URS and no spice was discernible. Chicken Korma-chicken in URS. Vegetable Korma- a few previously frozen veggies aswim in URS. Cabbage-sort of stir-fried (appropriate technique) with onions and peas; cumin and coriander could be detected. Tandoori chicken-MAYBE it was cooked in a tandoor. Dry, flavorless, with no indication it had been marinated in yogurt and spices. It had, however, been liberally bathed in red food coloring. Chicken something- a traditional dish using left-over tandoori chicken in a butter-tomato sauce, here a milder and palatable URS.
Vegetable Biryani- rice with URS. Nothing was spiced or spicy.
On the side were a tomato/lettuce salad, a Chat salad (sour and spicy and traditional), an acceptable raita, hot sauce, dough balls in syrup, and a mystery fried thingie that I think was supposed to be a kachori (dough stuffed with various ingredients and fried).
The menu lists the usual suspects and nothing new or noteworthy.
. With rare exceptions, I eat at a restaurant at least twice before reviewing. Mahal is an exception.