“Good food”

Ranked #479 of 833 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Many years ago, in the state of Jalisco in Mexico, the land was dotted with farms growing the blue agave plant-the plant crucial for making tequila. There were inns scattered among the farms, inns that had stables, restaurants, bars, and were a place where the workers from the farms would come together, a place where they could be comfortable together. That comfort-that togetherness-was exactly what the Ruiz's were aiming for when they opened El Meson Restaurante Mexicano over twenty years ago at Hamilton Place. In early 2009, a second El Meson Restaurante Mexicano opened in Hixson. The new restaurant is at 248 Northgate Mall Dr., Suite 114 in the Northgate Mall area and seats approximately 250 people. It too, hearkens back to the comfortable atmosphere and family cooking that have made the original such a favorite.
Memphis, Tennessee
“Good food”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was a very good place for dinner. The margaritas were very good, and the food was great too. There were plenty of choices. The server was pleasant, efficient, and knowledgeable. We had some questions about menu items and she was able to offer suggestions. The decor was very colorful. Food is reasonably priced, and you won't be disappointed.

Visited April 2014

“1st and Last Visit”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Our first time at this place and it will be the last. I ordered the Chili Verde and Posole which I hadn't found in Chattanooga. The Posole had so much vinegar in it that I coudn't eat it. The Chili Verde was less than satisfactory as well. Rather than cooking the pork in a green tomatillo stew, they placed the pork chunks on the plate and partially covered it with a green tomatillo sauce. I strongly suspect that the sauce was the same that they would serve as salsa with chips. Coming from the southwest and the west coast, I was sorely disappointed with the food at this place. (Hamilton Mall area). I know that anyone could get better food on in the southwest or west coast from a Mexican food truck.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank richardcash
“Great margaritas”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stopped by after a doctor's appointment because we had a coupon. It was happy hour so we started with margaritas. Excellent choice! The white cheese dip and salso were both excellent. My husband had the shrimp fajitas and I had the shrimp burritos. Both were great meals with plenty of food. The atmosphere is interesting; a little different than your designed-style Mexican restaurant; felt realistic. Since we were there early, there were very few other diners. Our service was excellent. We highly recommend this one if you're looking for Mexican.

• Visited March 2014
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Best Mexican Restaurant in Chattanooga”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My meal was perfection. The drinks were exotic. I am recommending my sister hire El Meson to cater her wedding reception.

Visited March 2014
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Possibly the worse Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place makes Taco Bell seem like a gourmet restaurant. Cant believe they are able to stay in business given the proliferation of family owned Mexican restaurants in the area.

• Visited February 2014