“Great welcome to Chattanooga”
Review of 212 Market Restaurant - CLOSED

212 Market Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here after a 5 hour road trip (I was ill the entire time) that stressed us both out. Our waiter was wonderful and very funny. Our table wasn't even in his section; he took over our table after the supposed waiter left unexpectedly early. Since we had a wait about 10min until the other waiter showed up, we got wine on the house to make up for it. The food was good, the wine was better, and our waiter was wonderful. The hostess could have been friendlier but our waiter made the entire night enjoyable. The live music was very nice too.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a memorably tasty meal. All of the dishes were beyond competent to imaginative and carefully crafted. The peach sangria revived me on a hot evening. I loved how fresh everything was. The decor and service were great too. I had no expectations for my visit to Chattanooga but now can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Prior to coming to 212 Market Restaurant, I read a number of the reviews and thought this would be the perfect spot for a romantic night. Oh was I ever wrong! And because I am a vegetarian and care about the environment and using local produce, I thought this would be a restaurant I could feel good about giving my business to. Oh, was I ever wrong!

First of all, I had made a reservation because I was afraid that it would be busy on a Saturday night. I definitely did not need a reservation. The place was half empty, and now I know the reason why.

The service was not very good. It always puzzles me why a waitress wants to give a refill on my drink after I have completely finished eating everything on my plate. If she doesn't offer a refill when my cup is empty during my meal, then don't wait until I'm about to leave before it is offered. But then all her service was slow.

I had checked the menu online before making the reservation. It had a special mention of vegetarian options on the website. But when I actually saw the menu, the only vegetarian entrees were the vegetable plate and spinach ravioli. It was not what I call plentiful options. And when the entrees were finally brought out, the serving size is small. It is probably a good thing because I certainly did not overeat there. On the other hand, because I wasn't full, I ended up stopping at a custard ice cream shop for dessert within walking distance, and I probably ended up with more calories that I would have if the serving size was normal.

None of this would have mattered so much if the food was tasty, but it was a little on the bland side. Personally, I would rather have bland food than too hot and spicy, but the meal was certainly not exceptional.

The best part of my experience was that the atmosphere was good. I liked the decor.

The parking lot was tiny. I did not have a hard time finding a parking spot since there were not many people patronizing the restaurant, but when you back out of your parking space be prepared to back in and out about 3 times turning your wheels each time before you can exit properly. I watched 3 different cars do this before I tried to extracate myself from the parking lot.

Prior to eating here, I asked my daughter (who lives in the area) for recommendations on restaurants in Chattanooga. She did not recommend the 212 Market restaurant. But after reading the good reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing the awards 212 won, I decided to go there. I now wish I had heeded my daughter's advice.

I recommend that you go to other restaurants in Chattanooga that for a comparable price have better food options, better parking, and way better service. I definitely will not be back again.

1  Thank DoctorJehle
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Thoroughly researched restaurants to visit while we were in town for 7 nights. Decided on 212 because of their use of local foods and recycling practices. Their location was easily accessible for us, we biked about 4 blocks from the hotel, if you stayed downtown, easy walking distance to most hotels as well.
There is a comfortable bar area, and and indoor and well as 'seating under the roof-top solar panels'. Dog Friendly, bike friendly, recycle friendly! We got a table by the window and watched the world go by.
Visited on a Tuesday night, with their half-price wine night. Got a great bottle of Cabernet. Started our meal with a half of beet/orange salad, house made rolls, and I followed it up with the Rib Eye. Food was great, presently beautifully and cooked perfectly. Portions are small, but expected since they are using local purveyors and whatever is in season.
We felt overlooked by our server, Chaz. After hearing him chat away with two other tables (the only other 2 he had aside from us), we felt overlooked. Sometimes when you just don't 'clique' with a server, no matter how you try to recover, it just is a lost cause...Usually a 20-25% tipper, we sadly left a mare 10%, of which my husband said, even that was too much. Between the wine ($29) and the food ($68) I would rate this as moderately pricey, but worth it due to the ingredients used to prepare the meals.

1  Thank 2toots
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Have been here 3 different times over the past 4 years, and have always been bored/disappointed. Last time, a few weeks ago, stopped in by myself for a late lunch, which was a disaster. Service was sloppy, brought me the wrong entree, waited 40 minutes for the correct one. Never an apology or any acknowledgement of inconvenience. There are too many other choices all over town to be disappointed here.