“We got a private tour :)”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 151 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 31 July 2014

When we had gone, it was just my girlfriend and I at the time. Since it was a private tour, we got to go on a different route that was a bit more difficult (aka fun). The guide was very friendly and entertaining.

Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit our cave and I am obviously glad to hear that your enjoyed your tour and had a great time. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the guide staff. Thanks again for visiting (and for staying on the campground) and I hope that you will be able to return in the future for another visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We really enjoyed raccoon mountain caverns. The caverns themselves were very pretty, and our tour guide was very nice and knowledgable. We had a 5 and 6 year old with us, and they enjoyed it as well. Hopefully we can go back and do a longer tour next time!

Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you very much for visiting our cave and I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed their visit. As you noticed, our cave is filled with literally countless formations, all of which are 100% natural. I am also pleased to hear that your guide did a good job as the guide staff is a very hard working and dedicated staff. The cave is a great place to work as it is always 60 degrees inside even on the hottest summer or coldest winter days. I am also glad that you are considering a return visit for one of our longer tours (wild cave expeditions). These go into the back portions of the cave and are a true family bonding experience. I am confident that your children would be talking about them for many years to come.

Thanks again for having visited and we are looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Raccoon Caverns is a great place to spend some time, easy location to find with plenty of signage. There is a campgrounds as well, go kart track, and cavern. The admission fee is reasonable and not as commercialized as other local sites. Tours are an easy walk with some height challenges and steps if you have walking issues, but the pace is slow and guides, who are college students, give you plenty of time to ask questions and take photos. They also offer a more involved tours, ones where you get really dirty...they also offer sleepover tours. I had a great time with my tour group, including a small boy who came ready with his own flashlight and saw things most of us would have missed. This attraction is smaller and more quaint than the other sites, but maybe it's better that way. I really enjoyed my time at Raccoon Mountain Caverns.

1  Thank cntrymama_11

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to share your thoughts for the benefit of our future guests. The cave is, as you mentioned, literally quite cool on hot summer days. We are certainly smaller than some of the other attractions in town but that is also an advantage as we are able to provide a significantly more personalized touring experience. Most of our guides are of college age and the vast majority of them actually started with us while in high school. We have an incredibly loyal staff and they are proud to show off the cave and, when possible, the unique life that dwells within the cave such as the salamanders or perhaps even an occasional bat. The bats, by the way, are insect eating and they go outside the protective environment of the cave to feast on their meal of choice, mosquitoes. One of the small brown bats in our cave can actually eat up to 600 (six hundred) mosquitoes in an hour. They can often be seen at dusk as the zig-zag in flight as they eat but after bug in mid-air. Thanks again for visiting and I certainly hope that you will be able to return in the future for a subsequent visit.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I took a group of girl scouts to do the eco tour classic. It is the least strenuous and was the most appropriate tour for our inexperienced 7 and 10 year olds. I would have liked to do more and go further in the cave but had to make decisions based on the ability of my group. The tour guide (Chris) started out somewhat quiet and did not seem very excited but once we really got into the cave he livened up and made the tour fun for the girls. I had a girl with a disability with us and we worked well with her and made sure to include her in all aspects of the exploration. He kept his expectations high which I appreciate. It took us an hour more than expected to complete the tour because we only move as fast as the slowest member but he was not irritated or impatient; he spent the wait time sharing information and answering questions my girls had. There were just enough small crawl spaces and tricky climbs to make it interesting for first timers. I look forward to bringing my group back for a longer and more challenging tour. All staff was friendly and helpful answering any questions we had. I feel like the group rate was appropriate for the tour and when compared to rates at other caves seems to be a good deal. My two girls that backed out of the exploration went on the crystal palace tour with another adult and came out excited and happy with their own adventure. All around a good experience.

2  Thank HaganClan
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you very much for visiting and I am glad that your group had a wonderful time. I will be sure to let Chris know that he once again did an excellent job and that you were quite pleased. Caving is an exceptional non-competitive sport because there is no race to the finish line. Instead, everyone helps everyone else out along the way and, as you mentioned, the guide will move the group at the speed of the slowest member. It is very professional in nature and designed so that no one feels as though they are slowing the group.

I certainly agree that our rates are quite reasonable and we try our very best to make caving as affordable as possible. It is a great sport and allows you to explore the inner portions of our beautiful mountain. Tennessee, by the way, is somewhat of a hollow state because we have over 13,000+ caves and we are proud to be the recognized leader in wild cave adventure expeditions. Thanks again for your visit and I hope that your group will consider a return visit for another expedition.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My family, 2 Adults and 2 teens, went on the 4 1/2 hr Waterfall Dome expedition. Only one of us had any caving experience, but we're in pretty good shape. That is important, because we did a lot of crawling. We saw salamanders that live in the cave, and lots of cave formations. We were all pretty sore the next day, but all of us said we would do it again! Thanks to Dylan for guiding us!

Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you very much for bringing your family to take the Waterfall Dome Expedition. I am certainly glad to hear that you had a great time and I will be sure to pass your comments along to Dylan. The cave is a delicate eco-system and it is always great to see the little salamanders along the tour. I also appreciate your having taken the time to share your comments for the benefit of future guests. Thanks again for visiting and I hope that you will consider returning for another visit.