“AWESOME TIME!!”

Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Hiram, Georgia
“AWESOME TIME!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Recently stayed at the Choo Choo because I was attending a concert at their Track29 onsite venue. My reason for choosing this hotel was the close proximity to the show. I read all the negative reviews and decided I would give it a chance since I was mostly excited I could walk to the show, and not so concerned w/ the condition of the room. After staying here I must say I will definitely be back! Im pretty sure that from this point forward rather than taking day trips to Chattanooga I will be staying the night at the Choo Choo.
I went with my boyfriend and Im now so excited to go back and take the kiddos! If you are looking for a 4-5 star hotel, no this is not for you. If you are looking for a unique experience with a budget in mind, look no further! We enjoyed walking around exploring the grounds, the pools, our room was basic yet very comfortable. All we needed it for was to sleep and it was a very comfortable stay. It is a really neat experience, great location, and a comfortable stay. Perfect for families, or anyone that doesnt need a 5 star rating to have a good time.
Oh yeah, I also read a lot of negative reviews about the staff and I would just like to say that we did not encounter any of these rude people on our stay. The staff was great! Upon checking in we were given a map of the grounds(with all points of interest marked by the young man at the desk). In the gift shop a worker noticed a couple trying to decide what to do and where to eat. She quickly asked if they needed help, gave them a map of the area pointing out all of the attractions and recommended some dining options for them. I cant wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Hotel #2. Our room was 289 and we had absolutely no problems. It was a room with a vi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie G
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
WOW! Thanks for your great comments. I am so glad that you had a wonderful time and not only stayed with us but attended an event at Track29. I am glad a couple reviews did not keep you away. I will share your comments with our staff. Come back again soon!
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I rrecently attended an event at the convention center and stayed in the hotel, which was a most enjoyable experience. The rooms were very nice, the attendants were extremely helpful, there is a beautiful indoor pool, the buffet breakfasts and banquet dinner were excellent and the location is perfect for access to the many things to do and see in Chattanooga. I would love to return and stay in one of the railroad cars with my grandchildren.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jyoung126
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for recommending us to others. That is great. From your comments, you had a great experience all around. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to your return.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My boyfriend and I came to Chattanooga spontaneously for a weekend getaway. While riding around downtown, we stumbled across this hotel! It is absolutely breath taking when you enter the front lobby and the grounds are very nice as well. One of the neatest things about this hotel was being able to stay in an actual railroad car, which we did. But the ceiling was leaking above the tub which constantly dripped ice cold water on you while you showered! If you also like complete peaceful quiet when you are in your room, the train car is not for you... When checking in, we were also led to believe that the breakfast buffet was included with the room, only to be handed a check at out table once we were finished eating. A little disappointed on these two aspects of this historic site... The pool, shops, garden, trolley, and the bar lounge were very relaxing...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AmberH2012
I am so glad that you enjoyed the history of the Choo Choo, the grounds, the pools and trolley. It is disappointing to hear of your room accommodations. I wish we had known of the problem while you were here. We would have taken care of the issue or gladly moved you to another room. I am sorry for the mix-up about inclusive breakfast. We do have a bed and breakfast package but it is a different rate than what you received. I will let the Guest Service Manager know for future. We hope that you will come back again soon. I feel assured your next visit will be different.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The room was dirty and had little little bugs on the ceiling. Everyone was very unprofessional. When I arrived and was speaking to the check in male, a young lady who worked there walked up and interrupted as if I was not even there.

Went to the lounge for a bite to eat as the restaurants closed. The bartender was so rude and did not even provide me with napkin, salt, or utensils. I actually had to go look for them. Than she tried to over charge me. When I questioned her, she was rude about it.

They need to hire a new everything from maid to barmaid. You will be sorry if you stay here!

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton Doubletree for a little bit more money. Its about 20 miles away.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank lisa r
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I apologize about the pests spotted in your room. We have a commercial pest control company that routinely services all of our rooms and public space. We normally get rave reviews about our staff. It’s hard for me to imagine being rude to our customers, so I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, and no one knows anything about this situation. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service.
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband had reserved a bottle of champagne as a surprise for me. We arrived from Atlanta and I could tell there was an issue at check-in. Apparently my husband was confirming it was waiting in the room and the gentleman at the front desk said it wasn't and he wasn't even sure that "we can do that". Eventually someone else told him it could be and it would be ready and in the room in 15 minutes. So much for the surprise. 2 hours later it came. The room was in disrepair and smelled. Uncomfortable bed and just a very worn and tired appearance. I can see why the softball tournament groups like to stay there.....no need to worry about hurting the place. Luckily St. Jophn's restaurant knows how to treat hioneymooners! Incredible meal and they had special flowers on the table for us. Perfection!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LilDickens
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Thanks for your impressions. I am disappointed that your champagne was late. I see that you stayed 9 MONTHS AGO. I believe you stayed in the building that we just finished renovating, and I agree it needed work. I assure we do more that sporting events. 40% of our business is group such as Corporate, Tour and Travel, Association’s, SMERF etc.
Jonesboro, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Got to the property from traveling by car from Atlanta Georgia at about 10:45 am. Parked, went inside and was told that I COULD NOT check in until 3:00 pm. If you are wanting an early check-in, this is NOT the hotel to stay. I seen several customers arguing with the front desk up until 2:00 pm about checking into their room early and witnessed the response of management and was somewhat taken aback at the fact that management was very nonchalante and unaccommodating. If other hotels are able to accommodate early check-ins, Chattanooga Choo Choo is absolutely able to do the same, but just chose not to extend the courtesy to their customers. I actually seen one family angrily leave the property in search of another hotel to patronize. The urgency to accommodate their customers was not a priority for the management at this property. I stayed in Building 3 and liked my room. It was definitely something from the 80's, but the sheets were clean, the television worked and it overlooked the pool. The Aquarium package I purchased was exactly what it should have been and my daughter and I had a ball. All of my travel needs were met, because I had no extinuating circumstances or needs outside of the box. This is NOT the hotel to stay in if you arrive early and want to relax, get your children situated or need down time after driving for an extended period of time. I don't even think that they offer a fee for early check-in, so basically there is NO EARLY CHECK-IN in this hotel. Please look into other hotels that will accommodate early check-ins if that is a point of concern for you. Nonetheless, this is a very family-oriented hotel, the food was good, my daughter loved the shops and the Aquariam package I purchased for me and my daughter (11) was perfect. We had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: An overall good place to stay. Not a 5-star hotel, so please don't have Champaigne taste and a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Angela A
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay and the aquarium package.
However, I'm sorry that we were unable to provide an early check-in for you.
Our check-in period begins at 3 PM, but if the room you reserved is clean we're happy to let you check-in earlier. In the past week we have had a few days with 300+ departures and arrivals. Each room has to be inspected by a housekeeping supervisor before being released to the front desk. I assure you that we provide early check-ins regularly, when we are able.
Unfortunately, we cannot always guarantee an early arrival. In the event that we cannot, we are willing to hold luggage at the front desk and you're welcome explore the property. Also, if you reserve a package containing attraction tickets, you can pick it up as early as 10 AM each morning as
many of our guests do and head downtown . I hope you will come back next time you visit
Chattanooga.

Bret Hailey
Guest Service Manager
Athens, GA
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Loved the room and loved that we didn't have to get in the car and go anywhere to eat, walk around, sight see, etc. There was plenty to do on the grounds of the hotel. Felt safe walking around in the evening. Next time I will take my walking shoes to get in my 30 minutes a day. Didn't even take them because I didn't think there would be a nice, safe place to walk. Now I know this would be the perfect place to walk. On the way to the Aquarium the next day my husband realized he had lost his good sunglasses. After we finished visiting the Aquarium we decided to go by the hotel before we headed back home to see if they had found them while cleaning our room. A very nice man walked with me back to the room where the housekeeper was working and we found the glasses under the couch cushion! The employee and the housekeeper were so excited that we found the glasses...it was just nice to see they cared that much.
Our son, his wife and two toddlers stayed in a rail car and that was so awesome, too. Was a little concerned when we realized there was a prom the night we were there and thought it would get routy but we never heard a peep and all slept like rocks.

Only complaint was that there were no coffee cups in room.

Can't wait to get back to the Chattanooga Choo Choo!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Flowerchildforever
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
I am so glad to hear that you had a “nice time.” I am thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel as well as the local attractions. Thank you for sharing about the service that you received from our team members in regards to finding your glasses. That is a WOW experience that I will share with our staff. We want all our guests to have pleasant memories of their stay. We look forward to your return.