“Lots of Fun!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Glasgow, Kentucky, United States
“Lots of Fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in the train car room and it was so cool! The atmosphere was so relaxed and the room was clean and beds and linens soo comfortable and soft.
Bathroom is a little small but still laid out very well.
We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: The train room with the day bed and trundle bed that pulls out is perfect for a family with one or t...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Lots of Fun is GREAT TO HEAR! I am pleased that the you had a great experience. Thanks for the great comments about the room. ! Your review means a lot to us. See you next time.
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We decided to dine at this restaurant after visiting the lovely garden area and shops the day before. Gardens are lovely! Our return the next day began with a cocktail in the refurbished train station bar. The couches were comfortable, the train chairs at the bar looked inviting, lovely period chandeliers completed the ambiance. Our dining experience was equally gratifying. Tiffany was a joy to have as our waitress! She offered suggestions when asked, and we weren't disappointed. The Southern fried chicken was mouth watering..tender and moist with a thin , crispy coating, very tasty! The shrimp and sausage over cheese grits was "delicious, just the right spices and consistency." Chicken piccata was moist, and tender, sauce very tasty." Highly recommend. Your Rhode Island visitors!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gayle V
Thanks for choosing to dine with us on your trip to Chattanooga. We value your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to share your story with us. The Gardens is a beautiful setting with our signature fried chicken! I will let the server know your comments.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very friendly staff and the hotel grounds are enough to keep you busy and entertained. Room was very clean and really enjoyed the space in the deluxe room. Staff even helped me find a pizza delivery place close to midnight while I was drunk...Loved the torches of fire at night and the cool water ecosystem with singing frogs! Many restaurants are walking distance from our room which made it even more romantic! The Terminal is very nice but I love sushi so make sure you visit Sekisui!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong staying in a train car that has been converted into a hotel room...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW! That’s what we like to hear. It is great to know that your stay was awesome and that we provided great service. Those are the types of comments we hear from so many of our guests... We work very hard to provide exceptional service, to have the best hospitality value in the city. We look forward to your return.
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

The Chattanooga Choo Choo is a cool experience for kids and filled with character and history for grow-ups. We stayed with our two children (ages 4 and 7 years) in one of the train cars with the queen bed and the day bed with pull out trundle. This room sleeps 4 people comfortably.

The staff at the property were very friendly and helpful.

In terms of value for the money and condition of the property, this hotel ranks a 3. If you solely consider the experience factor, it would rank a 4.

The property and train car obviously show their age. It is a historical property and to be expected. The activities and proximity to everything is awesome. There are several onsite pools, restaurants, and shops. Also, a free shuttle runs to/from the property to anywhere you’d want to go downtown. We took it to the aquarium.

If you go here, definitely do the trolley ride, which was only $6 for our whole family and a worthwhile experience. The driver was informative on the history of the station.

I couldn’t find any coupons for the train car rooms and they wouldn’t accept a AAA discount on them either, which means the rooms were pretty pricey. We are glad we had the experience of staying in the train car, but probably wouldn’t do it again. When it gets down it, it’s worth having the experience once, but next time we would prefer modern comforts.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for recognizing the novelty and history of the Choo Choo. It is great to know that you loved the property and activities around the complex. I agree that we do have a friendly staff and will pass that along to them. Overall, you did enjoy your stay and we are glad of that. Come back again for another cool experience.
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance
Gainesville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

The Choo Choo is a old hotel, it use to be the train station for Chattanooga back in the day. It's clean and well maintained but it does show it's age in lots of places. You can stay in a train car or in 1 of the 3 hotel buildings. They have three pools one inside and the other two outside. There are a number of gift shops on the grounds, and 4 restaurants. We ate all of our meals at The Gardens which is just off the hotel lobby. The food was very good, and the service was outstanding, but I thought the buffet was a littlle over priced. Just off the lobby is a Victorian style lounge. I was impressed with the security they were everywhere. The staff were super nice and went out of their way to help and answer questions. The hotel is next to the free electric off and on trolley which takes you all the way downtown to the Aquarium and the Riverfront. I would recommend the Choo Choo to anyone going to Chattanooga just remember it's not a fancy new hotel, but is does have a certain amount of elegance.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for staying with us. That is great that you had excellent service and room accommodations. We value your opinion and look forward to your return. Thanks for recommending us to others.
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance
Carmel, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Loved the lobby. The individuals working at the Lobby are tremendous. I stayed in 109 and the door would not lock when I would leave. They said they would fix it after our departure. The rooms do need some updating to bring it up to the level of the lobby and resturant. I would stay there again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here the previous month and was disappointed. I booked the room not knowing where I was staying through Hotwire. I was expecting a different hotel so I was sad to find out it was at the same hotel but I got an AWESOME rate. I frequent Chattanooga so anything as a go to is fine. I will have to say, I stayed in building 2 the first time and wouldn't take a shower if I was forced, but the beds were clean which is my main priority. This time I stayed in building 1 and it was better security wise, but we had a room right off the inside pool and it smelled horrible. I stayed right across the the room where they keep the housekeeping equipment and it freaked me out the first night because they didn't close the door to what seemed like a hotel room. The semi opened door to a dark, shabby room creeped me out. Hotel staff was friendly although I booked it through Hotwire and added an earlier night, they didn't get the memo. At about 12pm, the housekeeper called and asked why we weren't out and if we were staying another night. I would assume its the 3rd party (Hotwire) booking to screw it up, but none the less annoying. Beds were clean, but I didn't sleep the whole night because of how horrible the beds were. Again, I don't care as long as they were clean. Carpet was disgusting with red stains here and there. Tv seems updated with a USB port for phones to charge. Hair dryer worked. All I was wanting was a relaxed weekend with a clean bed and I
got half of it. I know I will end up staying here again because of a deal, but the place needs major updating from the original 1972. On that note, I am a designer and would love the owner to contact me for ideas for renovation and updating to make it the place it needs to be. I will continue staying here because of the price and clean beds, but after that, there isn't much more to expect.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you very much for your very valuable feedback. I apologize for the situation that occurred. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. I have been here for 11 years, and we have renovated every guest room (363) at this hotel.
Please give us another try to make it right for you. I will email you via tripadvisor so we can talk about your visit.