Booked on Priceline and then read the reviews: promptly scared myself to death. But, luckily, the worrying was not necessary! It was a great stay.
First, a few things need explaining. The Hotel itself is referred to as a "vacation complex" and it kind of is. There are regular rooms, rooms in trains, 2 outdoor pools, one indoor pool, a trolley ride, a model train museum, several stores (including a scrapbook store), a couple of restaurants, a coffee/sandwich/dessert cafe, formal gardens and the main building itself. So, there's a lot to see/do. Parking is on-property which is nice downtown, but is EXTRA. I think it's $7 per day. There's also a parking garage next door, which would be covered, so take your pick. Wifi is free and I didn't have any issues with it at all, and I used it for work.
We stayed in a regular room in building 2. The room is older, but very clean. There are hard water stains on the tub/toilet which might freak people out. They're not dirty, just a build up of minerals. The bottom of the tub has had one of those "patch" jobs done, which always look awful. But, again, it was clean. The room had been updated with fresh carpet and wall paper. The linens were nice, the beds were soft, and they had plenty of pillows. Nice flat screen TV. The furniture was a little dated, and generic hotel-type stuff. But, the rooms were quiet as could be. Never heard a peep from other rooms, although I know there were people in the rooms around us. Rooms are large, especially by today's standards. We had one overlooking the outdoor pool, which was a pretty good view. AC was super-cold and that makes me super-happy! There was an ironing board, luggage holder, hair dryer and coffee maker supplied in the room. No refrigerator, unless we just didn't find it. Ice machine down the hall, and ice bucket in the room. Cokes were $2 in the machines, and I think $1.75 in the gift shops (20 oz bottles).
Staff was incredibly friendly. Fetched us maps, gave us dining ideas, etc.
One of the best parts of this hotel is the free electric shuttle. It leaves from next door, and runs all the way down to the aquarium. Super nice way to see downtown without driving. We utilized it and loved it.
We didn't eat in the 2 main restaurants, so I can't comment on those. But, the cafe had a good sandwich and hubby says the coffee was good, too.
The grounds are just lovely. The gardens are beautiful and the roses were just starting to bloom. Both nights, we grabbed an outdoor table and just sat outside enjoying the evening. Saturday night, they had all the gas flames going and it was just beautiful! There's also a horse and buggy ride at the same side of the building as the parking garage. It's about a 20 minute ride for $40+tips, so it's a little expensive, but we enjoyed it, nonetheless.
I can honestly say, we're planning a trip back just to stay in one of the train cars. We managed to get a "peek" inside one and they look so cool. How often can you say you slept in a train at the Choo Choo, right?!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the South's most renowned landmarks, the Chattanooga Choo Choo opened in 1909 and welcomed thousands of travelers during the Golden Age of railroads. Today, the 23 acre complex is a magnificently restored hotel resort for visitors of all ages. The Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel offers a variety of overnight accommodations, including the famous Victorian Era train rooms and luxurious suites. *Theme restaurants *Specialty shops *Authentic New Orleans trolley ride *Model railroad display *Convention Center *3 swimming pools *Tennis courts *Beautiful formal gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chattanooga Choo Choo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel Chattanooga
- Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo
- Chattanooga Holiday Inn