“Mixed Feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Franklin, North Carolina
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The lobby of the hotel is in the old terminal. It is interesting to see as are the trains and miniature railroad. We stayed in hotel number 1 for two nights. Had a half price deal on a standard room. I would have been upset if I paid full price. The rooms are average but ours appeared to be clean. I am not sure why we had to pay $7.00 a night for parking. The breakfast buffet was over $11.00 plus $2.50 for coffee. I've seen better buffets and the wait staff seemed overwhelmed. It was handy to be across the street from the free downtown shuttle. If you have children who like trains, it would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nansker
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for recognizing the history of the terminal building. Thanks for sharing your visit with us. We started charging for parking several years ago. It is spelled out on the registration card and it appears on our website. The other hotels downtown charge between $8.00 to $15.00 dollars. Also, we are the only hotel that has 24 hour security. We subscribe to a 3rd party that rates reviews from multiple sites. The Choo Choo ranks 3.6 out of 5. Our competitive set of hotels ranks 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.9 respectively.

Regards,
Jill Coker
Quality Assurance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Lewes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights on tour of Southern US. Whilst parts of the hotel looked tired and in need if redecoration my room in Building 2 was roomy and clean. Only real down side was the Aircon unit roaring away even at low speed. Have to turn it off to sleep. I find wifi fast and usable even for streaming radio stations. Main part of hotel has lots of character unlike blocks 1,2,3 which are just ordinary motel type blocks.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
I am pleased your roomy room was clean. That building was renovated just 3 years ago with everything but case goods. I can tell you Choo Choo will do over 200 bus tours this year. We have many tour companies that have been with us since I arrived in 2001 and some of them from UK. Thanks for your impressions.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed in one of the Victorian Train Cars during my weekend visit. The train car was very unique and had plenty of room for 2 adults and 1 child. The train car was clean, and the beds were comfortable. The Choo Choo is conveniently located to the free shuttle bus which is great if you want to leave your car parked. The staff were very friendly and courteous from the beginning of our stay to the end of our stay. Would not hesitate to book another Victorian Train Car on my return trip to Chattanooga.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
GREAT IS WHAT WE LOVE TO HEAR. We are very proud of our staff. Your review helps us maintain a great CSI on Tripadvisor ( 83.5% for April and 84% for the first quarter). We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your trip. Thank for wanting to return.
Gadsden, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My sister and I took my Grandson and one of his little friends to Day out with Thomas Sunday May 4. We stayed in a train car. This is my 3rd time to stay at the Choo Choo. I always enjoy staying there for several reasons the hotel staff is the best ever, my opinion of course,the food in there is excellent. Shopping is fun and of course there are the pools. The hotel is next to the shuttle garage so you can go downtown for free and leave your car parked. All around I have to say it is a great place to take a mini-vacation with 2 youngsters. I have to say again that the staff is the best I have ever dealt with they always smile and help you with whatever you need. Hope to go back soon

Room Tip: Train cars are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW. Thanks for you repeat business , that says it all. Thanks for your great review and I am pleased you had a great experience. Your comments about the staff are awesome. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed staying in one of our signature rooms, the train cars. Thanks for your desire to return.
All the Best
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Although we are used to a King bed, we managed 2 nights in our Queen bed on the railway car. The uniqueness of this stay far outweighed our "close encounter". The bathroom was tiny but again clean and useable. We had tremendous rains one of the nights, but were comfy and secure in our railway car. The gardens were beautiful with blooming roses and sparkling fountains. We didn't use the pools, but took the trolley ride around the grounds, and viewed the model train museum. The shops were fun and took lots of my money. The trip to the aquarium is a must. It is the best done river and ocean experience we have ever had at an aquarium.

Room Tip: railway car accommodations - ask for a garden view.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy A
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thanks for your 5 star review. Thank you for recognizing the different venues at the hotel. Glad you enjoyed your stay in a railcar room. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your trip. We hope that you will visit us again and tell all your friends.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have grown up in Chattanooga my entire life and I have always enjoyed going to the Chattanooga Choo Choo since I can remember. It's a beautiful piece of history to my hometown and I don't know if I could imagine Chattanooga without the Choo Choo. The staff is amazing and the food is wonderful. There is so much to do and it is so close to all of the events and activities that are constantly taking place downtown and just a few steps from the huge revitalization of this wonderful city I called home. I think the Chattanooga Choo Choo is a little bit of nostalgic heaven in an up and coming transitional city. You will not be disappointed if you visit this true piece of Chattanooga history. I had the pleasure of taking my four children for a weekend retreat and we stayed in the train cars and all I can say is WOW ...it's a memory we will carry with us forever. I also just booked a business associate from New York at the hotel and he was more than pleased and plans to bring his family back this summer. The Choo Choo is a place that you need to visit and if possible stay overnight. My kids and I enjoyed everything and hope we can visit again for the weekend this summer :)

Room Tip: The Victorian train cars are wonderful if you have children who love trains and are old enough to ap...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“BEST OF THE BEST “is what we love to hear. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your fine compliments of the friendly staff. We appreciate you sharing your story with us. Our goal is for every guest to walk away saying just what you have said.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Was supposed to stay here for 2 nights but decided only to stay one. The place was pretty run down and looked kind of tacky. The hotel staff was nice and the pool was pretty cool but other than that it definitely needed some updates. The hallways were pretty rundown as well as the rooms. It seemed like there was just random furniture thrown in there. The icing on the cake was when we awoke the next morning there were ants crawling everywhere, from the bedside table all the way to the ground.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jesse S
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Let us know if you are ever unhappy about anything and let us find a solution to exceed your needs. We just need the chance to prove it. On average, we invest between $1.5 to $3 million a year in maintaining and upgrading the property. We are planning another renovation this year. I will reach out to you via tripadvisor. Please call or email me.