“Come on”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Give this property a brake. I saw all the negative reviews and I think this hotel is getting bad rap. Yes its not the Ritz but it was clean and the staff was friendly and the hotel is over 40 years old and the buildings are over 100. The historic ambience of the hotel can not be beat.This hotel is more for families(kids) but the big kids will have fun to, if your open minded.I got a very rate through Priceline and no the hotel may not be worth some of the rates I saw but do your homework and you will get a rate.After the renovations that will be completed next year , this will a one of kind experience.Keep up the good work CHOO CHOO.

1  Thank JEFFREY G
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review. Thank you for recognizing and enjoying the history of the Choo Choo. We will keep up the good work Jeffrey. Your review helps us maintain a very good CSI score on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments more than you know.
GM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked our trip thru price line. We have booked with them serveral times and it has been great! Needless to say this time was nothing but a DISASTER! It was mine and my husbands 4 yr anniversary and to me that is a special time. So we go to check in and the girl who checked us in was so rude and pushing us out the door. We learned more information from the lady beside her checking someone in than the girl checking us in. Then we get to our room and we have two double beds. Are you serious? The rooms are very old and musky smelling. Not exactly how I had planned to spend our anniversary. We went and checked out on the same day we got there which was Friday August 22nd. We had to go and find another hotel to stay in for our anniversary. I would not recommend staying here.

2  Thank Angel E
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thanks for taking my call. I am pleased that I was able to discuss your visit and that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

If any events are in progress there isn't adequate parking, especially handicap parking. The layout of the hotels and the parking lot is poorly designed and makes the walk to the rooms farther. In addition, entry from the outside requires a card key. The reader at the door closest to our room was not working and this caused us to have to go even further to get into the building. This was reported and supposedly repaired. It worked briefly and then stopped working again.
The rooms are small and out of date.

Room Tip: I don't know that any rooms are good. We had a bottom floor room directly across from the entra...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mysticshore

I am sorry about the situation that occurred. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Head, so that they can take corrective action.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My two friends and I just stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel this past weekend, 23-24 August 2014. My friend, Rita, made the reservations. When she made them, she called the hotel directly and told them that one in our party, me, was handicapped. She reiterated that when she spoke with Management at the desk in the lobby upon our arrival, when we got there about 1230 hrs on Saturday, 23 August.

Upon our arrival, we stopped to see if we could get into our room. We were told we could not, but we were given a pool pass to wait until we could access our room. The heat index that day was 98-99 degrees according to local weather reports. We called a couple of times while we waited, but could not get into our room until 1500 hrs. Once allowed, we went to building #3 as instructed, to get to our room. When we got inside, we found that ALL 3 of the elevators were "under maintenance"! We had to use the service elevator (only one) a long walk away. By the time we got to our room, I was done! I was in a great deal of pain and had to rest quite a while to recover from the long walk. Then we found that the sliding glass doors to our balcony did not work correctly ~ they hardly seem to move at all! They were apparently stuck and needed WD-40 or something to get them to work!

This morning, although check out is supposed to be at 1100 hrs, maid service knocked on our door at 0955 hrs! The staff was very polite and told us to take our time, but we felt we were being rushed out. I have stayed in many hotels, and I have NEVER had that happen before!

The binder in the room did NOT mention any restaurants associated with the hotel that served breakfast, so we decided to eat down the road, which we did. Yes. We were compensated by the Manager for our inconvenience after we complained. However, I am very concerned about other handicapped patrons who visit your hotel. This level of "service" is unacceptable! No communication about elevators being out???? Also, when we used the women's restroom right off the lobby, it must have been about 90 degrees in there and smelled as if they had a sewage issue! YUCK!!!!!!

This is a beautiful, historic facility and I am sure may be wonderful at some point. I understand you are currently renovating, but that does not eliminate the need for communication about elevator outages or for maintaining sliding glass doors or being logical and efficient in the management of your facility!

We would love to come back once y'all get your act together. However, this weekend was a fiasco! My advice is for you to COMMUNICATE with your patrons! Tell your visitors that elevators are under maintenance and, by the way, think about putting one or two elevators under maintenance at a time ~ NOT all three!!!! By all means, do NOT make your guests feel like you are pushing them out the door!!!! Not well done, y'all!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LucyRicher
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

I’m sorry to see some of your comments on TA. I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Head, so that they can take corrective action. The elevator is being replaced and should be done in about 2 weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. I regret that you were not one of the many happy guests that stayed here during the same time. I will reach out to you via tripadvisor. Please call or email me.
423-308-2424

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Unless your a train buff this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The hotel is split between 3 external hotel blocks, the third being the furthest away. We had to drive to get there, the car park was empty so it looked like is block had no residents. The lift was out of order so we had to walk round the hotel to get the staff lift. This hotel is extremely dated stuck in the 1970's, we was not going to stay in the first room offered so we opted to pay for one of the train carriages for a small charge. This was slightly better as it was near the restaurant so we didn't need to drive, but when the temperature outside is 96f these trains get very hot. Although there is free wifi it's impossible to get on line so you need to go to reception. The saving grace of this hotel if there could be is the restaurant where the staff get up and sing. Find another hotel as you will be disappointed with this one.

Room Tip: Choose the train carriages do not stay in the blocks
2  Thank littlemisssmokey
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I am not one to leave three stars without reason but... although, I loved the atmosphere of this hotel, the fact that you didn't have to leave the facility to dine/have things to do and the history associated with the choo choo. However, there are honestly two reasons I gave this stay three stars and not four. 1. The hotel rooms need SERIOUS updates, there are no mini-fridges (so the leftover steak I spent $$ on went to waste! shameful!!) everything is very dated, there was a faintly sewage-y smell and it was just..... a 2-star room on a 3-star site. The Choo Choo could be so much better if updates are made!

I did hear from my waitress at the Station House, that the hotel is being updated and they are getting rid of the Station House. This is the other reason I only left three stars! The Station House was AMAZING. My waitress, Courtney, was soooooo nice and talented and the entire staff was great, the food was great, the prices were reasonable! I will be sadly disappointed if this places closes, it was a huge part of the appeal to stay at the Choo Choo. Other than these two gripes we had a GREAT time and would probably stay here again, although next time I am considering staying at the Sheraton Read House instead of the Choo Choo. I couldn't decide between these two hotels and I think I made the wrong choice! lol.

I'm really not one to complain about hotels, but for the prices they ask for these rooms they need to make serious updates AND provide mini-fridges and maybe room service options! That would make me give them four or even five stars in stead of three. :) :)

Room Tip: Maybe the railcars are better than the hotel rooms?
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I’m sorry that you only gave us 3 Stars. . Press release: Chattanooga, Tenn. (July 28, 2014) – The Chattanooga Choo Choo announced today that they are planning an $8 million renovation and restoration project. The complex will include a comedy club, 500-capacity music/entertainment venue, retail space and two new restaurants with outdoor patio seating off of Market and 14th streets. The project will also include $1 million to be invested in renovating the hotel rooms in Building One.
I will email you via Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Our first impressions of the hotel are that it is a little run down. Well actually it's a lot run down !

The pool in building 3 has tiles missing with the cement failing along the walkway. The buildings lifts have packed up and guests are using a jerky service lift... The restaurants were understaffed when we arrived. The rooms are clean but in need of bringing up to date.
The model and museum is not as good as you'd expect, it needs bringing up to date too !

That's the groan over ! The hotel also has many pluses. The staff are excellent and always ready to help.
The idea of staying in a rail coach is neat and the trolley train running up and down is good fun for the kids.

Stayed: August 2014

Thanks for your impressions. Thanks for your kind comments about the staff. The elevator is being replaced and should be done in about 2 weeks, sorry for the inconvenience. We do a lot of business from the UK, especially Tour and Travel and really appreciate it.