“Sheraton Read House - Mostly a Nightmare”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #22 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My spouse and I typically spend as many nights in hotels as we do at home. We almost always stay with Marriott properties. However, we planned to be in Chattanooga for over a week and decided to try the smaller, cozier, historic Sheraton Read House.

Valet Staff - exceptional upon check-in. One morning we called to request our vehicle. Upon arriving at the valet stand, two of the valets were conversing but our vehicle had not been retrieved. Once I told them that we had called ahead, one of them ran to get the car while I spoke with the one who remained. I asked how much notice we needed to give in order to get our car when needed. The valet replied that 1) they were busy (odd that nobody else was around at the time) and 2) we must have taken a while to get down there and they PROBABLY re-parked the car. Probably?!?!? I asked him if he witnessed that happen, he said no. No apology was given, just an attempt to shift the blame. A second time, we called ahead to get our vehicle. Once again, we arrived at the valet stand and three of them were standing around talking - nobody had bothered to get our vehicle until they saw us. No, they were not busy. Understandably these things happen when guests are checking in and out, it should not happen when they are not busy.

Check-in was pleasant. The room itself is nice enough. It is roomy, the bed is comfortable and the layout is functional. The stains on the furniture's upholstery is a little disturbing. There are't enough towels in the bathroom for two people. Plus, the towels are rough and scratchy.

Club Room access is one of the best features of the hotel. When they are around, the Club Room staff is very helpful. However, once the refreshments are set up in the evenings, the staff seems to disappear. However, twice we went to get coffee for breakfast and there was none.

Overall, dining in the restaurant was a decent experience. The food was very good. We did not understand why they bothered with a WRINKLED tablecloth. The service was adequate. At one point, our server called another server over to our table to answer a question about the menu. The second server actually spoke to us around a mouthful of food. The second time we dined in the restaurant, we decided to try the bar area. The food was great, but the service was lacking. The bartender was more interested in lecturing about the history of the hotel than serving the customers.

The on-site Starbucks is great! The employees are all great and the manager is exceptional.

Room Service is quite another story. HORRIBLE! 1) We ordered a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We got a peanut butter sandwich with no jelly. Instead of remaking the sandwich, they brought 2 plastic packets of jelly. 2) We ordered the mini turkey sandwiches. We got turkey sandwiches on dried out bread. 3) We ordered dinner with 2 glasses of iced water. They forgot the water. The gentleman who brought the tray said: "I forgot your iced water, but I notice you have bottles of water so you should be okay." When I pointed out that we didn't have any ice, he told me it was down the hall. (which it wasn't - it was one floor down). With a huff, he offered to fill our ice bucket. Wouldn't it have been nice if he had said: "I am so sorry, I forgot your iced water, I will get it and be right back." 4) We called to order room service one afternoon; 30 minutes later, the phone hadn't been answered, so we called the front desk. The young lady at the front desk called and could not reach room service either so she offered to walk over and have them call us. We did not receive a call. We waited 10 minutes and called room service again - finally someone answered, but had a terrible attitude while taking the order. It seemed as if we had inconvenienced her simply by calling. 5) We called and ordered breakfast with a large pot of coffee. Breakfast arrived, but no coffee. I inquired about the coffee. The person from room service said "Oh, I didn't take the order, I will go back and get some." Do these people communicate??? He returned with coffee but no cups. Instead of acknowledging the mistake, he said "I didn't bring cups because I noticed you had those paper cups and I prefer paper anyway." Really - who orders room service expecting to drink out of paper cups? Enough - I could go on but will stop. I think you get the picture.

Housekeeping - The people who work in the housekeeping department are the hardest working people in the hotel. They are courteous, non-instrusive and extremely competent.

It isn't the mistakes that upset us, it is the overall attitude of the staff. Does the hotel need more staff members? Does the staff need better training? Where is the management?? This hotel could be a great property, but an overall attitude adjustment is imperative. To say we are disappointed is the understatement of the year. The phrases "how may I be of assistance" and "it's my pleasure" have obviously been deleted from the training manual.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CB52014
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to go through all the areas that you did in your review. You have given us quite a bit to dissect, study and work on. I would like for you to email me at jen.prpich@sheratonreadhouse.com so that I can get the dates of your stay. This will help us to pinpoint the areas that you discussed and further train our staff, or, in some cases, start from square one ... at the beginning. Reviews like yours are not at all what we train for and expect of our staff. Needless to say, there will be no more suggestions of coffee in paper cups.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I had the honor of attending the annual gathering of "The Southern Sherlockians". Our friends told us of the charm and history awaiting us. On arrival we were welcomed into a large inviting lobby decorated in old wood and two story high. A great gathering place with antique decor, multiple seating areas, and access to a Starbucks and Porter Steak House with a full bar. The mezzanine is veranda style and visible to the entire lobby. Party/conference rooms available on the first floor and mezzanine. We witnessed a prom, and a wedding.
Our arrival was a bit early, but the valet staff unloaded and carted our belongings, tagged them in preparation for our room assignment. Valets Cody and Jay made themselves available to suggest great lunch spots for our food preference.
On return, their relief teammates greeted us with assistance and support in getting our room assignment. The hotel team got us in with unnecessary apologies. Our luggage was promptly delivered. We rested and settled our puppy into her new surroundings.
My husband and I chose the "old section" and were checked into a quaint and comfortable mini suite. Small, clean, and a well dressed cozy bed. My only complaint was the lack of shelving and hooks for our toiletries in the bathroom. I for one was not disappointed with it's historic charm.
Outstanding location for the meeting and touring the city. A free shuttle was available from morning till approximately 11pm. Access to restaurants and shops were all within walking distance.
My husband and I loved our conference, the outstanding staff and their attention to our well-being. Checkout day was made easy by Taylor for our car and Daniel for our bellhop/loading process.
Thanks Mr. Castleberry for the outstanding AAA Parking Team. Mr. Kevin Clark Mgr we salute your staff at all levels with kudos to Stephen and "Angeline?"

Room Tip: Did not visit the "newer rooms", so I can't compare. Sorry to be so wordy, but we...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Wow! You should review hotels for a living! You definitely have a flair! Thank you for taking the time and for acknowledging all of the staff who looked after you while you were staying with us. It is guests like you that keep us excited about our hotel. We hope that you will return to Chattanooga again soon and stay with us again! See you then!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Location: Can't be beat. Downtown Chattanooga, walking distance to riverfront and aquarium, Starbucks next door, free electric shuttle bus stop right outside hotel

Staff: Very pleasant, attentive, and welcoming.

Rooms: Very clean and very soft sheets. Furniture in room and bathroom are clean and in good repair, but dated. Don't expect upscale. Nice toiletries. Very quiet despite the number of guest on the floor. View from our room was the side of the another building and the roof of the lobby of the hotel, so if you're looking for a view, ask for it.

Hallways: In real need of repair and refurbishing. Wallpaper is peeling, carpet worn, and chair rail along walls has chips in it throughout. A bit surprising considering how well kept the rest of the hotel areas are. And this was a "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor!

Pool and gym: Modern and well equipped gym, large indoor pool with plenty of deck room and light. Both were very clean

Parking: $15 a day with unlimited in/out privileges. There are parking garages nearby, but the savings are minimal. I'd recommend using the valet.

Overall, a good stay in a central location. Just don't expect the hotel to wow you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Wow! Thank you for your thorough review of our beautiful, historic Sheraton Read House! We take great pride in all areas of our Hotel from our dedicated staff to the carpet on the floors. We are aware that we are in need of an update and are working toward that end. We do hope that you will return sometime in the future and give us a second look and give us a chance to WOW you!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We loved the charm of the historic building and everyone we encountered was very nice and professional. The valets are very efficient. Our room was nice but it needed some attention. The bathroom was wallpapered but not by a professional. It looked tacky and pieced together. One of our double beds had such a dip in the middle of the mattress that we had to put a pillow in it to not roll into it in the middle of the night. We drank the 2 bottles of complimentary water and they were never replenished even though we stayed for 3 nights. Toiletries were not replenished either except for soap.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

We thank you for staying with us and for enjoying our historic treasure. We have taken note of your comments regarding the condition of the room, and are currently working towards correcting the problems you encountered. We do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Cody and Tevin were polite, upbeat, with warm personalities and engaging. With every encounter we were greeted by our names. I really appreciated the hospitality. The location of hotel was in a prime position. The at4ractions of interest were in walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments. We really appreciate naming the associates who went above and beyond the call of duty to make your stay a memorable one. We will pass along your comments. Thank you again and we hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stay at the Read House every time that I have the opportunity. I love to be able to walk down the street to the riverfront area and around the aquarium. The Read House has an interesting story about room 311 being haunted by a Civil War soldier. I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Of particular help were the valet parking attendants Cody and Jay. The hotel was particularly busy this week and it was obvious that the attendants were having to hustle to keep everyone moving and happy....but hustle they did and with smiles on their faces! And always being sure to ask if I needed directions. It's good to see fine young men take their duties seriously. I'll be back....soon!

Room Tip: I used Priceline to book the room and got a great rate. I was a little disappointed with the view f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are in a splendid location here in downtown Chattanooga and the walk to the river is so relaxing. Thank you for recognizing our associates who do the hustle! They really care about our guests. And that room 311 ... google it on the internet to read her story. She has been there awhile.

Again, thanks for staying with us and we hope you will come back soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The Valet Parking Attendants (Jay & Cody) were exceptional. I stay in hotels 150+ nights/year & have never encountered such pleasant valets. Quick, responsive to my needs, & had my car within seconds. I would stay here again, based solely on this...and the steakhouse downstairs.

Room was a bit dirty (stains on carpet & chairs).

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your glowing comments! Cody and Jay are some terrific guys who really take pride in their work. We are aware that we do have some training issues that we are addressing with regard to cleanliness of our rooms and those are being addressed.

We hope that you will stay with us again very soon!