“Spooky Splendor”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This property is EXQUISITE! Everything -- from service & cleanliness, to meals and drinks at Porter's -- was SUPERB and top notch. Everyone catered to us hand-and-foot. The location is wonderful, as is Chattanooga itself.

Upon check out, I commented to April (she was at the front desk) that I heard someone breathing outside my restroom door. She asked me to describe it, so I made the deep, heavy breathing noises I heard. She asked me if I smoked, I said I'm trying to quit by vaping but yes I had been smoking lately, and she just nodded and handed over a paper detailing a known ghost who doesn't like men who smoke! I believe her name is Annalisa. Honestly, I think she liked me, which is why she traveled all the way up to the 6th floor from the 3rd that she normally haunts!

Overall, I would be hard pressed to stay anywhere else in Chattanooga. I snagged a terrific price on Hotwire (77$/night). This property is worth so much more than that. You won't regret staying at the Read House!

Room Tip: Pick a room where you might encounter a ghost! Also, the Mimosas downstairs at Porter's are the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Ah yes, that Annalisa. She does have her likes and dislikes. And we pretty much let her roam where she wants to in the hotel because we aren't really sure how to curtail that! We've had a few experts come in, but they can't do anything about it either. She does hope that you will return to see us again real soon and thank you for staying with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I have visited Chattanooga on business for the last 5+ years. During this time I have started being a guest of this property due to the fact that I am an SBG member. I give this property high marks on its customer service and location. I would have given the property higher marks, but it seems 'faded.' Although the property and rooms are clean - the building (outside of the lobby) seem like they are 'worn' and in need of a 'refresh.' There is a Starbuck's Coffee on property and valet parking is your best (if not only) option. The SPG lounge needs a renovation. I continue to stay at this property and find its history charming.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback and for your loyalty! I am so glad you have enjoyed your accommodations as well as the amenities. We do realize we have work to do on the refreshing of our hotel and continue to work towards that end. Thank you again for staying with us and for your comments.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The older part of the hotel was built in the 1920's(?) and has the old taste of class. Although, she is looking a bit worn :(. A little work could have the old girl showing her stuff again. The staff was very good and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. She is old and we WILL keep working on her!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Our choices were somewhat limited because we wanted to stay downtown, in walking distance to most attractions, food and drinks. Weekend arrivals have the option of free on street parking, which we did, rather than pay the extra fees. Our check in was painless and efficient. Our room was excellent. Our bed was one of the most comfortable we have experienced. Even the view was good. Although their was a nice lounge in the hotel, our group opted to hit the sidewalks and head into the gauntlet of food and beverages near the Aquarium and IMAX Theater. About 10 minutes and we were at Sticky Fingers, Hair of The Dog and Big River Brewery. If you prefer, the free downtown shuttle stops just outside the hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. We are so pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our great downtown Chattanooga area. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We booked our room on Hotwire for $80 a night. It is a junior suite. The bathroom is a bit tired, but in general the room (600) is very nice. Check in was smooth. The valets were friendly and efficient. I would stay here again. We are on our way home from Florida to Chicago. A nice half way stop.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your comments and thank you for staying with us! We always welcome any comments letting us know how we come across to our guests ... bad or good. The bad, of course, let us know those areas we need to work on. The good ... keep us going!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'm lucky to meet Jen Prpich, general manager of the hotel. She just stood at the hall to meet guests and care them, kindly and friendly. The room is tide and clean,very comfortable. A luxry experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you! I really enjoy hanging out in our lobby and walking our corridors to meet as many of our guests as I possibly can! Your feedback is what keeps me striving to make our historic hotel a place that our guests want to return to again and again! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed in many hotels in our travels, this one was an unpleasant experience. There are two wings in this hotel, we got the lesser one for some reason. The room is long overdue for renovations, wall paper is coming off in some places, the paint in the bath tab is chipped.
The restaurant is nice, but very expensive and the most annoying thing - you can't connect your own DVD / Laptop to the TV to play your own movies. If you want to buy a movie, it starts from $5 and goes up to $17!. The aircon is a split unit inside the room, very noisy.
The FREE WiFi is slow and drops out, so I used my own hot spot T-Mobile G4 device.
Some of the desk staff are OK, some are there for decoration only.We will not stay there again

Room Tip: Be specific which wing you get
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience at the Sheraton Read House Hotel. We strive to exceed expectations and it sounds like we didn't come close to meeting yours and for that I am sincerely sorry. We are in the early stages of a reconditioning of our hotel so that we eliminate the problems that you discussed. We do hope that you will keep an eye on us here at our historic treasure as we refurbish a classic.