“A little worn, central location makes up for dated rooms”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked this gem on a discount website, so the rate was quite attractive for the location. Rooms could use a little spiff. Large, spacious lobby and just down the block from the river, many attractions and the iconic City Diner. For the price, would stay again

1  Thank JoeBoulder
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We do hope that you will stay with us again very soon. We will look forward to seeing you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here in mid-May 2014 and it was cool in the city (never reaching 60s) for May. The hotel is older so it had a boiler room heater that had already been cut off, so the room was cold. The hotel explained the situation and gave us extra blankets and offered space heaters if we needed it. I thought that was very nice. The room was clean and very relaxing. The hotel being so old is noisier than you would expect from a modern hotel, but still wasn't too bad. The SPG club room was ok, a bit small and the breakfast food was nearly gone by the time we arrived at 9:30am on Sunday. But we were offered a buffet if that didn't do it for us, which again was very nice. So no complaints there. The elevators are very old too. Leaving the hotel on Sunday from floor 4, we got on with a down arrow, but the elevator went to 8 instead, then down to 6, then back to 8, then back to 6 before finally reaching the lobby. The elevator was full the entire time so every floor we stopped on had to continue to wait. A little spooky, but not a show stopper.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your stay here at the historic Sheraton Read House. We are taking your comments regarding the club room and will use them to improve that experience. Our engineers are in the process of testing the elevators to see what the problem is. Thank you for letting us know about that. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was very pleased overall. It's an older hotel, but we'll-maintained. The service was great! Traffic could be heard in the room, so very light sleepers might have issue with that. We got the room at a great price. So, the service and location were worth the minor traffic noises.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us. We were delighted to read that our staff helped make your stay enjoyable. It was a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming back to the Sheraton Read House!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Johnny and his team are awesome. I am very particular about my car and have been through many valet services (most not the impressive). I can happily report, they took great care and showed much respect for my car. They had "lots" of personality and were always enjoyable to see. Johnny was very passionate about his job and leading his team to excellence. Way to go Guys!!!! Thank you, see you in a month or so. :o)
-Ricki (White Acura TL)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for recognizing our hard-working valets! Those guys put everything they have into making every single one of our guests they come in contact with a happy and satisfied guest! And I bet they will remember your car! See you soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great place to stay. Close to Chattanooga nightlife. Wonderful Valet Service, Johnny and Jesse were so helpful. Porter steakhouse was excellent. We stay here every year we come to Tennessee. Very clean, friendly staff. The rooms are more like apartments.

• Stayed: May 2014

That you for taking the time to let us know that your stay was as excellent as ever. That is what we strive for ... excellence! Your loyalty lets us know that we are doing it right! See you soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The lobby was beautiful and very elegant. I booked through Hotwire and got excellent rate but when we checked in the desk clerk commented. Ahh booked through Hotwire. Not sure why that was necessary and seemed as if we were put in the back of the hotel like an unwanted guest. The view was of the roof. They do have a policy if you deny housekeeping service you can get $5 voucher for food and drinks which I like.

Room Tip: If on weekends can park for free at meters
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am puzzled as well why one of our desk agents would make a comment like that. Not sure, but I will look into it with our Front Office Manager. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will return soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This property is EXQUISITE! Everything -- from service & cleanliness, to meals and drinks at Porter's -- was SUPERB and top notch. Everyone catered to us hand-and-foot. The location is wonderful, as is Chattanooga itself.

Upon check out, I commented to April (she was at the front desk) that I heard someone breathing outside my restroom door. She asked me to describe it, so I made the deep, heavy breathing noises I heard. She asked me if I smoked, I said I'm trying to quit by vaping but yes I had been smoking lately, and she just nodded and handed over a paper detailing a known ghost who doesn't like men who smoke! I believe her name is Annalisa. Honestly, I think she liked me, which is why she traveled all the way up to the 6th floor from the 3rd that she normally haunts!

Overall, I would be hard pressed to stay anywhere else in Chattanooga. I snagged a terrific price on Hotwire (77$/night). This property is worth so much more than that. You won't regret staying at the Read House!

Room Tip: Pick a room where you might encounter a ghost! Also, the Mimosas downstairs at Porter's are the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Ah yes, that Annalisa. She does have her likes and dislikes. And we pretty much let her roam where she wants to in the hotel because we aren't really sure how to curtail that! We've had a few experts come in, but they can't do anything about it either. She does hope that you will return to see us again real soon and thank you for staying with us.