“Nice place with good location”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #20 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
US
“Nice place with good location”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Read House is a nice older hotel that is touted as a four star hotel, but the amenities were a little disappointing. I like a hotel with a fridge and microwave. It was noisy in the hallways and between the rooms, so the walls were a bit thin, which is understandable for a hotel of that age.

There is a pretty nice workout room for a hotel as well as an indoor swimming pool.

What I didn't like was the parking and luggage scam. The attendant said he wasn't allowed to let me take my own luggage up to the room, and parking is valet only for $15 per day. That ensures tips. If I were to stay there again, I'd use the surface lot across the street for $8 per day.

I really like the location, as the hotel is on the free downtown shuttle route, which is a real timesaver. The shuttle comes every 5-10 minutes.

Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel. We are looking into the problem you had with the luggage as we are not sure what the misunderstanding was there. As far as parking, you are also welcome to park at any of the on-street parking which is free from 4:30 PM-8:00 AM weekdays, and free on the weekends as well. We do hope that you will stay with us again in the future as we would love to have you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed two nights in July, 2014 here while visiting Chattanooga, TN. Must say it was a wonderful experience. Staff was very friendly, knowledgeable of the area and ready to assist us in any way they could. Suite was exceptionally clean and the king size bed was comfortable. They understand the travelers expectations with their customer service, especially their Valet service. Valets Cameron, Cody, Carson, and John Michael were courteous, prompt and efficient in providing our car as we needed it. If ever visiting Chattanooga, please consider this beautiful downtown hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeanne D
Thank you so much for giving us such a great review on Trip Advisor. I will pass your comments on to the "Valet Guys". They are a great bunch of hard-working associates! We hope that you will return to stay with us again in the very near future!
Riverdale, Georgia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Traveling with the SASY Travel Club. Arrived on Tuesday and departed on Thursday. Had a room across from the elevator. Never heard any noise from the ice machine nor the elevator. Room very clean, nice bed and wonderful soft pillows. Breakfast was excellent. The staff were always at your service and eager to make your visit enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SBarry566
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel. I cannot tell you how happy we were to have your group at our Hotel. We hope that the group comes back many times over as you are a great bunch!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a room at this hotel with my 15 year old son when I was taking him back to school. When we checked in we were given room 651(which was mentioned in an earlier review). That side of the hotel is definitely MUCH dirtier. I was shocked at how dirty and worn the carpet was in the hallway on our way to the room. The carpet in our room was clean but definitely worn, the room was very musty and dark and there was no light on the bedside table or even a single picture on the walls...it was a little creepy. When I called to complain, I could not get the phone to work so I went down to the front desk and asked for a different room. We were then given room 910 which was on the other nicer side of the hotel although there was only 1 elevator working and a large wedding reception going on so it took us 15 minutes just to get there. Room 910 is a king with a sleeper sofa which I was willing to deal with(my son doesn't care where he sleeps) but there were no pillows or sheets in the room. Housekeeping I found out, goes home at 7pm but it was 6:43pm so I called. I let it ring for 3 minutes...I guess they went home early. I then tried to call the front desk...again no answer. At this point I was incredibly frustrated and I knew that it would take me at least another 30 minutes(because of the elevator/reception situation) to get to the front desk and get back with sheets. I went down 9 flights of stairs to the front desk to get the sheets and no one was there! at that point I said to HELL with it and we left! I didn't even bother to get my money back because I couldn't FIND anyone to give it to me! I have stayed at several other hotels in Chattanooga before which were much nicer so I called the one I like the best and the rest of our stay in Chattanooga was great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tennismom39
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay. Needless to say, we did not meet your standards, our standards, or Sheraton standards. I would like to personally speak with you regarding your stay. If you would email me I would like to make contact with you so that we can speak on the phone.
Tony Contigiani, General Manager
tony.contigiani@sheratonreadhouse.com
santa rosa beach fl
Reviewed 18 August 2014

After 35 years coming to the Read House, I finally got to stay in a room that had the classical architectural decor outside the window! First time I used the valets since parking isn't real hard usually. Cody and Taylor, Tevin and Justin were awesome valets.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Paul R
Thank you for letting us know about your stay, and next time you will know which room to ask for! We hope to see you again sometime very soon!
Dandridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 August 2014

There was a wedding reception when we arrived in the lobby. Already loud at 3:30.Our room was far away from this event. Around 9 we are trying to sleep. Shortly in the noise starts. Thumping, hollering, curse words, running down the hall. My husband calls to complain. Nothing is ever done. Very drunk, very young people everywhere you look, no respect for themselves or others around them. My husband calls back and they pretty much dismiss him. I wanted to leave; but my son so looking forward to the aquarium we stayed.This goes on for several hours up into the night. I repeat nothing is ever done. That was the worst of it. The next was no trashbags in room. Stains on curtains shower and window not a very clean room. This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel ever. I hope anyone who reads this will consider their hotel choice carefully.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and the problems that you experienced. Please know that this was not a usual occurrence at our Hotel and we are checking into why your complaints were not responded to immediately. We strive to ensure that every guest who stays at our Hotel has an accommodating stay and peaceful rest. We wish that you would reconsider and stay with us again sometime in the future.
Thank you, Tony.
Fayetteville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The hotel is a beautifully restored historic hotel. There are a couple areas that need a little maintenance. The hot water faucet in room 651 leaks a lot. We had to put a wash cloth around it to keep it from leaking all over the counter. The bathtub was in need of re-glazing. It was so bad someone had scratched their name in the bottom of the tub.
We had a wonderful stay overall.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to review our Hotel. We are taking your comments and distributing them to the appropriate managers so that corrections can be made, or retraining personnel, or both. We hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.