“Good accommodation at a good price”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Oddfellows Arms
Pwllheli
“Good accommodation at a good price”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently at this accommodation on a weekend to go diving and had a very enjoyable overnight stay.The rooms are to the rear of the main building in a converted outbuilding and fit the bill for an overnight stay.

The landlady accommodated my early breakfast requirements on a Sunday morning with home cooked full English breakfast which had followed cereals. Hot tea and the TV changed to a channel of my choice also pleased me. Check in was pleasant and with the rooms being apart from the pub I could come and go as I pleased. Room was warm with clean towels provided.
All in all excellent quality and value,...

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cherry B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have tried a few b+bs in this area and have found this is by far the best! The cottage style pub is sweet and cosy, just what you want in a village location. The bed rooms are in a renovated out building and are very pleasant. The beds are extremely comfy and I fell a sleep within seconds with no disturbance throughout the night from fellow guests or pub drinkers. It is basic in the sence that no 'luxuries' are included I.e no hair dryer but for that kind of money I wouldn't expect any different. As for the land lady and the pub staff they are all very friendly and nothing is too much to ask for. I have my next visit booked for the new year and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

• Stayed December 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Chose to stay at this property because of the pub, which is great. Beers are excellent, locals are friendly, owners and staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and the live entertainment that we saw was brilliant.
The accommodation was not so good.
First impressions of a dark stained flush door weren't good.
The bedding was clean but stained.
I found a pair of socks left in a drawer by a previous occupant.
The alarm clock radio! I didn't dare use as it looked so old and yellow.
The double glazed window didn't shut.
The bathroom floor tiles are highly glazed and lethal. A bath mat is provided but I stepped off this, with a barely damp foot, and did the sideways splits! Luckily the room is only a few feet wide which prevented me from causing serious damage...
The shower itself is an absolute joke. It was impossible to control the temperature of the few weak sprays that actually came out of the shower head.
The bathroom door was warped and had to be closed quite forcefully which left you wondering if it would open again.
The towels are passable, even though mis-matched. Two average sized bath towels and one hand towel in a room for two, but I suppose that's OK.
The upstairs room doors have no handles on the outside so you need to use the key to pull the door shut. On the bright side, at least you can't lock yourself out.
Trying to hand your keys in when going out in the morning is problemmatic. Pub deserted, no staff in sight. Ended up taking key with us and therefore room not made up for the day. Not a major problem on a short stay, but... There has to be a better system as the pub isn't open all day, every day...
As Jane B said, the TV leaves a lot to be desired. No EPG on ours. We had to go through every channel, one at a time, which is rather tedious, and some channels were breaking up. Usually the ones that you would have quite liked to watch.
Didn't have breakfast, so I can't comment on this.
The room was lovely and warm, when the heating was on, but when it switched off, and with the draught from the window that doesn't lock, it was freezing. I almost got into bed fully clothed I was so cold.
There are no glasses in the bathroom, though I did find a bowl and cutlery in a drawer, I suspect left by a previous occupant as the room description makes no mention of this 'facility'.
Oddly though, hairdryers are NOT supplied.
The description I read of this property- newly refurbished, 3*, convinced me to book this accommodation in order to be able to sample the delights of the pub. Sadly it is nowhere near 3* or newly refurbished.
The positives are that the pub is great. The accommodation is not expensive (but neither is my local, which is 2*, AA assessed. about the same price and a lovely breakfast is included) and there is a very popular Indian restaurant (Saffron) next door. Oh and the pub is great! (I think I may have mentioned that already..) The bed is comfortable enough, providing you are under 6 foot tall, otherwise you need to sleep across it diagonally. So find a partner under 4 feet tall and you will be OK.
The hosts are lovely. The locals are friendly. The staff are helpful. Would they win Three in a Bed (TV programme that is!) No. Would I stay here again? For the accommodation? No. For the pub? Possibly.

Room Tip: No idea about a good room in this accommodation.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TeePee450

Travellers are raving about these Sherburn in Elmet hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Freezing room, TV reception awful, dirty water in kettle, no drinking glasses on bathroom and shower just a dribble. Breakfast served on bar area again freezing cold, I asked for tomatoes with my scrabbled egg just got a blank look from landlady when I queried this, no option of brown or white toast, but then again you get what you pay for. Never again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane B
Chester-le-St
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed recently at this accommodation on a business trip and had a very enjoyable stay midweek.The rooms are to the rear of the main building in a converted outbuilding and do exactly what they should do for a comfortable sleep, wash and relaxing time after work.The pub used to do bar meals which were homemade and excellent quality and value, but on my last visit they have stopped doing them.The hosts are very friendly and the cost of the rooms are very competitive.If you want to work in your room then there is not a desk as such so you have to use your laptop on the bed, not sure if wifi is available.I will definitely return if i am in the area, dont know what its like on a weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in South Milford
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Leeds Colton

Been to The Oddfellows Arms? Share your experiences!