“FABULOUS EXPERIENCE! Can't wait for next lesson :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of J F Polo Academy

J F Polo Academy
More attraction details
Owner description: The polo academy is offering outstanding tuition for all levels of rider and player, including absolute beginners with no riding experience wanting a 'taste' of one of the most glamorous, fast-paced and skillful sports in the world.
Chester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FABULOUS EXPERIENCE! Can't wait for next lesson :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was a little nervous about my first polo lesson at JF Polo Academy, but soon to find out I had no reason to be...

I arrived at the immaculate stables in Great Barrow (only 6 miles outside of Chester city centre) and James set about getting our 2 ponies ready – Izzy and Garantia – both of them incredibly well behaved and very gorgeous. Hats on and it was time to go, and after a not-so-elegant mount, I was in the saddle and feeling remarkably relaxed.

We rode into the field whilst I listened intently to James’ directions for a good half an hour; I felt happy and confident, James is patient and extremely clear – and rather importantly doesn’t make you feel like a complete idiot! It was also a beautiful crisp, sunny afternoon so my experience was already turning out to be so much better than I had nervously anticipated, I was rather enjoying myself!

We rode our ponies back into the stables for 10 minutes or so when it was time to get onto Woody (the wooden horse) for swinging practice. After a less elegant mount than before, I finally got up and James gave me some pointers. Yes, of course I missed a few times (more than a few), but I understood what I needed to do when back on the real thing, so we went and fetched our ponies and it was back in the field, this time with stick and ball.

The next 40 minutes was FABULOUS! Despite my complete novice status I had the best time ever, and with some degree of confidence I happily trotted round the field on Garantia (I think she liked me!), trying to hit the balls (which was a bit ‘hit & miss’ to be fair), thoroughly enjoying myself.

You don’t need to join an exclusive club or shell out for loads of expensive gear, this is pay-as-you-go polo for EVERYONE.

I’m booked in again next week and think this may well become my new hobby. Can't recommend highly enough!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Izzy G

“Great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I've had great fun learning to play polo at jf polo academy. James makes you feel relaxed and welcome and he is a brilliant teacher. Being a student in Liverpool it's great to get out of the city and ride some great quality horses in lovely Cheshire countryside. All James' horses are well schooled
and responsive, perfect for both learning to hit the ball and playing fast paced chukkas. I'd highly recommend jf polo academy to anyone looking for polo in the area, whether you're just after a fun day out, or you're keen to get into or continue with the sport.

Basel, Switzerland
“Want to learn or improve your polo?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

JF Polo Academy offers fantastic polo instruction no matter the level. James is a great instructor and manages to make all lessons fun. The yard and facilities are spotless and the ponies are excellent. In addition, James and Jen are extremely friendly, fun and extremely welcoming.

I have had a number of lessons over the summer and the improvement is noticeable! I recommend JF Polo Academy for anyone who wants to try an experience day or serious about progressing in polo.

Visited September 2013
“Great fun, even for a beginner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

After we met our horses for the day my girlfriend and I were impressed with how easy it was to control them; useful, as this was the second time I'd ever sat on a horse. We had some riding instruction, followed by a mallet lesson on a wooden horse. Then we had plenty of time to practice combining riding and hitting the ball. Thankfully my horse knew more about the game than me and seemed to direct me towards the next ball! Great fun and we plan on returning soon.

Visited August 2013
Cheshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The Best Fun Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have been riding for many years but had always wanted to play polo. I am so pleased that I found J F Polo Academy. I booked a lesson and was instantly made to feel welcome. James is a brilliant instructor, knowledgeable, fun and very patient! I have since had a few more lessons and become slightly addicted! On Sunday I played in an instructional tournament, which was fantastic fun and felt like I was playing in a professional tournament. We played the first couple of chukkas then had some additional instruction on the rules, using a polo board, to learn more about lines and fouls etc. We then finished the 2 final chukkas resulting in a draw with everyone cheering each other on. We finished off the day with a great BBQ. My husband came to watch and ended up getting involved in the BBQ. Even though he's not a rider or even a horse fan, he thoroughly enjoyed the day and was made to feel part of the whole experience.
James and Jen have a great setup. The yard and factilities are very professional and the horses are top quality. Their attitude, hospitality and fun made the day. I would definitely encourage anyone to have a go at polo and definitely at J F Polo Academy.

1 Thank Chris D