“Wonderful polo experience”
Review of J F Polo Academy

J F Polo Academy
More attraction details
Owner description: The polo academy is offering outstanding tuition for all levels of rider and player, including absolute beginners with no riding experience wanting a 'taste' of one of the most glamorous, fast-paced and skillful sports in the world.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful polo experience”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After Showjumping for 24 years I really enjoyed going to James for a polo lesson. The place is amazing and I was truly impressed with the lovely ponies. I am looking forward to my next lesson tomorrow

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Chloechantelle

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The place to go to learn polo!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Excellent facilities, expert tuition with emphasis on safety. Friendly atmosphere. You should definitely try it, I had my first lesson in March and I'm already playing in matches.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Stuggh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant place to learn and play polo!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

James is a brilliant coach and after only a few lessons with him I was inspired to get my first polo pony- I had played a bit before so it wasnt completely out of the blue! I havent looked back since, its a great yard to keep your horse at- I've had amazing support from him and the guys that work with him.
My riding and polo have improved so much in a short time, not to mention I've learnt so much about horsemanship.
Club chukkas upto twice a week are great fun and brilliant to learn the game, not to mention the bbqs afterwards with everyones thats just played. JF Polo makes polo fun and affordable- which is great since once you start playing it can become a bit addictive!
Im amazed at how many lessons I've seen where people who have never ridden before leave being able to hit the ball, I wish when I first started had had such great lessons.
James is really good at breaking down the components of swing, tactics etc which is just what you want from a coach.
I would definately recommend JF Polo for lessons (both riding and polo), chukkas (the idea of being to be able to hire horses and get involved in games without paying club membership is amazing!) as well as a brilliant livery yard. Overall brilliant horses, teaching and most importantly a fun and easy environment to learn.
5* all round!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank JenTaylor85
Chester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FABULOUS EXPERIENCE! Can't wait for next lesson :)”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was a little nervous about my first polo lesson at JF Polo Academy, but soon to find out I had no reason to be...

I arrived at the immaculate stables in Great Barrow (only 6 miles outside of Chester city centre) and James set about getting our 2 ponies ready – Izzy and Garantia – both of them incredibly well behaved and very gorgeous. Hats on and it was time to go, and after a not-so-elegant mount, I was in the saddle and feeling remarkably relaxed.

We rode into the field whilst I listened intently to James’ directions for a good half an hour; I felt happy and confident, James is patient and extremely clear – and rather importantly doesn’t make you feel like a complete idiot! It was also a beautiful crisp, sunny afternoon so my experience was already turning out to be so much better than I had nervously anticipated, I was rather enjoying myself!

We rode our ponies back into the stables for 10 minutes or so when it was time to get onto Woody (the wooden horse) for swinging practice. After a less elegant mount than before, I finally got up and James gave me some pointers. Yes, of course I missed a few times (more than a few), but I understood what I needed to do when back on the real thing, so we went and fetched our ponies and it was back in the field, this time with stick and ball.

The next 40 minutes was FABULOUS! Despite my complete novice status I had the best time ever, and with some degree of confidence I happily trotted round the field on Garantia (I think she liked me!), trying to hit the balls (which was a bit ‘hit & miss’ to be fair), thoroughly enjoying myself.

You don’t need to join an exclusive club or shell out for loads of expensive gear, this is pay-as-you-go polo for EVERYONE.

I’m booked in again next week and think this may well become my new hobby. Can't recommend highly enough!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Izzy G
“Great fun”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I've had great fun learning to play polo at jf polo academy. James makes you feel relaxed and welcome and he is a brilliant teacher. Being a student in Liverpool it's great to get out of the city and ride some great quality horses in lovely Cheshire countryside. All James' horses are well schooled
and responsive, perfect for both learning to hit the ball and playing fast paced chukkas. I'd highly recommend jf polo academy to anyone looking for polo in the area, whether you're just after a fun day out, or you're keen to get into or continue with the sport.

Visited September 2013