“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cookeville
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

I walked into the lobby at 8:45 and no one was to be found. I waited for 15 minutes before the desk clerk arrived. By that time two other guest were waiting too. I gave him my name and he could not find my reservation. I asked for our company's nationally negotiated rate and he said there wasn't one. By this time it was 9:10 so I just asked if they had a room so he booked me in a suite at a much higher price.

I called down after I arrived to my room because I found my confirmation number. I gave it to him and after a few minutes he found it. He said it would be taken care of. This morning at check out it was not. The new guy at the desk took care of it. They should spend some time training their people.

The room was nice but not very clean, hair on the bathroom floor and tub. The shampoo and lotion were tiny not enough for two to share. I get being aware of costs but it just seemed cheap.

The breakfast bar was fine and the attendant was very pleasant.

I am doing some work here in town and I doubt I will return.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
We want to apologize that you had a negative experience when you stayed with us in Cookeville. Just after I spoke with you on your departure morning I found that the reservation had been made for the day before your arrival. Our new front desk person didn't realize how to find the reservation.

I went into the system at check out and refunded your stay to your national account rate. We did not charge you for the upgraded suite level room. And he made some mistakes in check in. I have redirected him & I am certain that will not occur again.

We again ask you to give us another stay. We have a terrific service oriented team and unfortunately we were short staffed with our newest trainee on the day of your arrival. We are certain that we can take great care of you on your return. Thank you so much for your feedback. Our new associates learn so much more during these busiest times. We are sorry for your inconvieniece. Come back soon.

Best Regards,

Karla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Sorry this is so long but this was one of the most frustrating experiences i have ever had at a hotel. Booked this spot based on reviews, location and that it had an indoor pool and hot tub. It was a last minute booking as we were returning from vacation and decided to drive a little further. Happy to have snagged the last double queen room but thought the price was a little on the high side.

The hotel itself had great decor and was pretty modern. The front desk clerk who checked us in was very kind. That is where the positives end. The room was freezing cold when we entered so I cranked the temp up. No big deal. The kids were anxious to get to the pool after being in the car all day and I really needed to hot tub after the drive. So down we went. The pool AND the hot tub were ice cold. So I went to talk to the guy at the front desk and my key would not work, so I could not get back inside the building (hot tub is outside). Tried a second door which did not work either. The front desk clerk could see me from that door and he came over to let us in. I told him about the issues and he told me that some other guests had made the same complaint earlier. So not what I wanted to hear. Why hadn't it been fixed EARLIER?! Or at least tell us at check in. Ugh. He said he would call someone but by that time it was getting late.

So back in our room I notice that the toilet seat is in need of replacing. This is a personal pet peeve. Toilet seats are not expensive. It seems very out of place considering that everything else is pretty fresh and new looking. I think about calling the front desk but remember that we have the LAST queen room. Ugh.

Then in the middle of the night the air kicks back on. I know several hours have passed since I originally turned it down but that is how cold it was in the room at check in. The unit makes a high pitched whirling sound as it comes on which wakes me up. Ugh. The noise continues for a few minutes. Ugh. At least it doesn't wake up the kids. It stops and I fall back asleep. Happens one more time during the night. Ugh. Icing on the cake was the lovely pink mold on the shower curtain liner which I discovered in the morning. Ugh.

I spoke with the assistant general manager who said that the general manager would be in at 10 am. I guess he did not have authority to help me because that is all be said. Ugh. It was 9:45 am so we packed up and loaded the car. Shortly after 10 we were ready to go. Stopped by the front desk. GM still not there. AGM offered to give a price reduction and I just wanted to go so whatever. He did finally apologize at that point.

It is too bad because by all other appearances it should have gotten a higher rating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
We want to apologize that you had so many service issues during your stay with us at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Cookeville.

We strive to meet and exceed guests’ expectations when they visit with us. We were sold out this past weekend, so most the rooms were full of youth and groups, but we hate that you had trouble with the pool temperatures. There is a maximum that we can set the temperature on the pools from the Health Department. I have noticed that when the pool has been full for the weekend that the water replacement does cause the temp to lower & it takes some time to re-heat. We will watch for these issues more closely on the weekends.

The cold room at arrival is unacceptable. The individual PTAC air unit in your guest room is set to cycle the air on a timer, and that’s sometimes noisier than our home units. Maintenance has checked both the AC and repaired the commode seat in room 222. That’s one of my pet peeves too.

I apologize that I wasn’t able to meet with you before your departure. I had worked front desk this past weekend and arrived just after your departure. Jeff is normally wonderful at working with our guests. We have credited you the remainder of your charges after Jeff discounted your rate for the guest satisfaction issues.

We are very proud of our hotel & associates. Our high ratings normally speak the truth. We are an amazing Marriott property. But I understand your frustration with the issues that you experienced while in our care. We ask that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was my second time to stay at this hotel and both were positive experiences. Very clean, courteous staff and comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. The location is perfect, very family friendly and safe. Have to go back in a couple of months and already made my reservation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bruce A, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We are delighted that you were pleased and have been a loyal patron. We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.
Tupper Lake, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The room was very clean and the bathroom was spotless. They provide a hearty breakfast with a wide variety of choices, such as waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, fresh fruit, cereal, doughnuts, etc. The exercise room was well kept with plenty of towels. The heated whirl pool was a nice feature, perfect for relaxing before going to bed. Wifi worked well too!

Room Tip: The west side has nice views of Pilot Knob.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stopped over night to get sum rest. No need to rush, we on vacation!!! Bedding was clean and comfortable.
Very nice Hotel, and they accommodated us very well. This hotel was givin a Diomand Star award. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
Milan, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This hotel is fairly new and clean. It is located just off of I-40 and is convenient to any number of restaurants in the area. My room was very quiet which was very nice since it is close to the interstate. Only thing I will say about Marriott is they need to upgrade their mattresses, they don't compare to Hampton Inn for comfort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Overall stay at the hotel was okay, right off the interstate. However around 0900 in the morning the housekeepers started making rounds. Woke us up. Checkout is at 1100am. I have not heard of this before, the manager said that was normal policy. We got in late and drove 720 miles. She did not inform us beforehand to let them know. Just be aware. Had a great check in.

• Stayed June 2013
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Cookeville, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
We first want to thank you and your husband for staying with us in Cookeville. I have made several cross country drives and know how tiring it is to ride for such long hours. We appreciate that you choose the Fairfield Inn & Suties Cookeville for your stopover.

I want to apologize that your rest was interupted the morning of your stay. Unfortunately, there is no absolute way for any hotel associate to know if a guest has checked out of their room unless the guest tells the us. Either by stopping by the front desk or calling down to say they are leaving. The only other way we know a guest wants some extra privacy or rest is the Do Not Disturb sign that is available in each room. We will never interupt a guest room with a clear message on the door. I hate that your rest was disturbed. Those early weekend mornings are the best time to sleep from a hard's days journey.

Please give us another opportunity to serve you if you are ever in the Cookeville area. We appreciate your business. And want you to know we are here to make your stay in Cookeville the most pleasant experience possible. Thank you for posting the feedback.

I share with my friends my two most important tips for those who travel: use your DND tag and deadbolt to get no accidental interuptions of rest, & don't use a debit card at any hotel nationwide as it will freeze your checking account balance. Come back to see us very soon. And have a terrific Summer 2013!