“Great place”

Mauricio's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Cookeville
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The restaurant, formerly a residence, was built in 1910. It features hardwood floors, 14' ft ceilings, and 5 fine dining rooms, three with fireplaces. If you like good Italian food, old music from the 40's and 50's, and great atmosphere, come see us. Dress is casual and reservations are recommended on the weekends.
Loretto, Tennessee
“Great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

After seeing all the great reviews my family decided to check it out. We passed it the first time, because it looks like somebody's house besides for the sign out front. The hostess also turned out to be our waitress (I think she was the only one working) while service was slower, it wasn't bad, and she was very nice. The bread was AMAZING, I could eat my weight in it.
My sister & I split a dish and my parents split another, because the prices were so high. While the food was good there was an overwhelming taste of something (Vodka?) that sort of ruined the pasta after a few bites. I tried asking the waitress the ingredients but she side-stepped the question.
The décor is so beautiful. This would be a great place to take someone you were trying to impress or for a special event.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Cordelia L

Plano, Texas
“Saturday night in Cookville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We. Made reservations for 7 at 6:00. She didn't seem to have a problem with that and when we arrived, we were seated immediately in a very intimate room in the beautiful Victorian house. There was a string quartet on th ever nada and we were invited to here them play. The waitress was prompt, taking our drink and appetizer order. The appetizer came quickly and was very good. We ordered lobster ravioli and pasta with shrimp. It was very good. The salad was also tasty but not excellent. It was an enjoyable evening and we will return.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank P L
cookeville
“Great atmosphere great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Have been to Mauricio's several times and have never been disappointed. It is an old Victorian home that is filled with charm, well decorated and maintained. The food is good, different dishes seasonally and have never had a bad meal. The desserts are fantastic and different ones every time so you know they are made fresh. My husband and I tend to share a meal because the portions are so big, or if I don't want to cook on the next day we order separate! The people are very nice and the homemade bread is fantastic. I enjoy going more in the winter when the fireplaces are going - it is very romantic. Yes, the food may seem a little expensive but you pay for the quality and if you are getting two meals out of the one, it is well worth the price. I consider it a must do if in Cookeville and you enjoy getting away from the "chain" restaurants.

1 Thank buckeyeCookeville
Monroe, Tennessee
“Excellant Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband & I went for the first time a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night. It was a good thing we went early because we did not have reservations and they allowed us a 6:00pm time slot with a 1 hr limit. This worked out fine but I would recommend reservations. The food was excellant. The food is on the hight end of price line for Cookeville but the dining is above normal. Table linens and great service. I would recommend to the owners to look at their pricing for their wine. A 400% mark up more than makes up for the glasses and service. 12.00 a glass for KJ Chard is high even for ATL! Cocktails we found very reasonable.
We will be back!

1 Thank traceygirl
Crossville, Tennessee
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Yesterday, my wife and I visited Mauricio's for lunch. Based on reviews, I thought that it would be nice to find a good Italian restaurant in this area. It still would be!

Our server was attentive, efficient and personable. The menu offerings included many traditional dishes which were well described.

The ambiance in what was once a private home is very pleasant.

My wife ordered Papardelle with Scallops, while my selection was Chicken Marsala.

Our server brought a large family style salad with a dressing which I later confirmed was from a bottle.
The reason? “We didn't get our order this week.” The number one reason for a restaurant not getting a delivery from a purveyor, usually is because,....I'll let you figure it out.

My wife's scallops were prepared perfectly and were very flavorful. The pasta was covered with a sauce which reminded us of Franco American canned macaroni and cheese. There was no flavor or appearance of any rosemary in the pasta.

My entree, was more like Chicken Marsala soup. The chicken was overdone and dry, floating in a mixture of overcooked angel hair, mushrooms and super-sweet Marsala.

The server told the owner of our dissatisfaction with our meals. He came to the table and made things right with us.

I would rather have a meal prepared properly, be able to remember a pleasant experience and plan to return another time. Sadly, this is not possible at Mauricio's. While we may return, I will be with the concern that we might relive our first visit.

3 Thank PilgrimBill