“Wonderful meal”

Ranked #7 of 178 Restaurants in Cookeville
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant, formerly a residence, was built in 1910. It features hardwood floors, 12' ft ceilings, and 5 fine dining rooms, three with fireplaces. We have a full selection of spirits and over 20 selections of wine. We also have a patio that seats 25 guests. We host weddings, rehearsal dinners, showers and parties. When you dine with us, we want you to have a dining experience rather than the typical restaurant that tries to turn tables as quickly as possible. We serve each course separately allowing you to relax, take in the ambiance, enjoy a glass of wine and savor every bite of Italian cuisine. When you leave our restaurant, we want you to remember what it's like to slow down, enjoy one another's company and realize how nice and relaxing dining can be. If you have other plans after dining with us, inform your server upon arrival and we can speed up your service. Dress is casual and reservations are recommended during the week and especially on the weekends.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We dined at Mauricio's while staying in Cookeville recently and found it to be very nice. My friend had the salmon over risotto and I had the eggplant parmesan. I frequently order eggplant as it is a favorite. Without a doubt, their eggplant parmesan is the best I have ever been served.

The room we were seated in was lovely with three small tables and a gas fireplace. The atmosphere and ambiance were perfect for a romantic diner for two. Even the music was perfect for the setting. The house has been wonderfully restored and suits the role of intimate dining well. Could not have been better. While I was disappointed by the lack of espresso, their coffee was excellent.

3  Thank don s

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The first time we went to Mauricio's we were blown away. Great service, good food, amazing atmosphere. Then one time i found a plastic tip floating in my soup. They comped the soup but that put a real damper on my meal. We've been slightly disappointed with Mauricio's ever since. Nothing terrible but nothing great.

Last night we dined there for our anniversary. The waiter (Adam) was ok but not great. I said i was in the mood for risotto (which is on the menu as a side dish). He did not ask the chef if a larger portion could be served, i ended up with the side dish portion which was tiny. I also had a caesar salad. He brought my husband's dinner salad first, and i sat there with nothing while hubby ate his salad. Why not bring my salad?

Overall the meal was NOT a $100 meal although that's what it cost with a bottle of merlot (which was certainly not a $30 bottle of wine). The ambiance for us was ruined by a loud table very close to ours, my husband's veal picata was too brown when he wanted a light lemony butter sauce. Just rather a disappointment for the money. But not bad.

The owner hasn't visited our table since the first time. And the chairs! OMG... a fine restaurant that seats you on hard wooden kitchen chairs? So... if you love Mauricio's... enjoy. If you're looking for a really great meal... good luck.

2  Thank DeiCo
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Friendly and welcoming service.
Food is good. But sauces are heavy. Better have a sparkling water after to help digestion.
Pricey

1  Thank mtcoutinho
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This place is incredible!! The atmosphere is amazing and the food is to die for!! The business is run by great owners who work as well as own! The Italian salad is a must and the bread is incredible!! My husband ALWAYS has to have dessert!!

1  Thank Xanaducindy
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This converted home into a fine dining Italian restaurant is, by far, the best Italian Restaurant I have been to in my 6 decades of life! The owners meet you at the front door, seat you and then the staff assists you in the ordering process. Once your meal is served you are basically left alone to dine. The staff will check back in with you at the approximate half way through your meal point to see how you like things. Toward the end of your meal they will show up again to ask about desert. The wine list is excellent and well appointed and priced. Expect to spend more than 50 dollars if you have desert and no alcohol, closer to 75 or more is you drink a bottle of wine. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. There are 2 other italian eateries here in town, one more dedicated in my opinion toward the college crowd and the other leans more toward the fast food arena.

1  Thank Michael P

Been to Mauricio's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!