“Never Again”
Review of El Tequila Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

El Tequila Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This restaurant has not been open very long - a couple of months, I think. The owner has a brother, I think, with another Mexican restaurant in Cookeville. This El Tequila took over a deserted restaurant building just down the hill from the Alpine Lodge & Suites in Cookeville. Great place to eat and a real plus being only a couple of steps away from AL&S.
Hopton
“Never Again”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were staying at the Alpine Inn and because of the bad weather, we decided to just walk over to this restaurant for dinner. The place was pretty busy so we had high hopes for a good meal. The waiter did not seem to understand English at all and we had to keep repeating our order over and over. Our meals were awful. I had a seafood platter. The crab meat and the shrimp just didn't taste fresh at all. We didn't complain because we just didn't want to try anything else there. Our waiter had disappeared so we went to the counter and asked the manager for our bill so we could pay it and leave.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank JM P

Nashville, Tennessee
“Best Mexican Restaurant in Cookeville”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Have eaten there several times, lunched there today. The food is really good (the combination fajitas are fabulous)! Even their refried beans taste authentic - not canned, which is a real deal breaker. And their salsa? Perfect!
Service is unbeatable, everyone is friendly. And they're fast. Must be a well-run kitchen back there.
And the portions are generous - which when you're eating Mexican they'd better be; I mean, if you'd wanted lean cuisine, you would have stayed at home and eaten a salad.

• Visited April 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Good Food”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

They put up with all of our family that was at the Alpine Lodge for a family reunion. There was over 40 of us!!

Visited July 2013
Pacific Ocean
“Surprisingly good food”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I wouldn't go out of my way, but if you are staying at the Alpine, this is a pretty good place to eat. The food tastes authentic, which is a surprise considering it's in Cookesville, TN. The bartender was friendly and made a very good margarita. They also sell both beer and margaritas by the pitcher.

The prices were very reasonable. The decor is pretty sad and they should really do something about the lighting, but we did not go away disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Midlothian, Virginia
“"Dietary Restriction" Friendly”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

El Tequila, as ocnsir says, is just across the parking lot from the Alpine Suites & Lodge and a great place to eat if you're staying there. It's also ez-off-ez-on Hwy 40, just east of Cookeville, TN. AND rather than build yet another a new building when there are so many vacant deteriorating eyesores, its owners renovated one of those eyesores and put it back into use. HooRay!

The food is very good, portions moderately large, great service, and friendly staff. It feels like a start-up because it is, but it's been a little bit busier each time we've eaten there while staying at the Alpine Suites & Lodge so the atmosphere is gradually becoming more dynamic.

Each time we have eaten there, the owner, chef, and staff have been very receptive to helping support my gluten free dietary needs. While they can't do much about the cross contamination issue, they are always very agreeable about checking the ingredients of my order and letting me know whether or not my choices are gluten free and, if not, whether or not they can make modifications to meet my needs. If you have dietary restrictions, you'll know how valuable that kind of attitude is.

Highly Recommend!