“Beauty is in the eye .......”

Cummins Falls State Park
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Cookeville
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a truly beautiful spot. I would recommend it to just about anyone. You could travel a long way and never encounter such a wonderful place. I have had a hobby of seeking waterfalls and cascades and this is a real good one.

Now do not do these things
1bring small children here
2 bring your pet dog
3 bring elderly people here
4 bring infants or pregnant women here.
5 bring glass containers here.
6 carry a cooler or anything in your hand other than a walking stick.

What to carry / do

1 everything in a back pack
2 good hiking shoes that can and will get wet. You will cross the creek several times and it is very shallow and slick, very slick.
3 pack a lunch and a couple bottles of water. Plastic.
4 swimming shoes. no need for mask n snorkel, there are rocks in the water Caution.....
5 there is danger and risk here please think b4 u act.
6 a couple garbage bags or Wal-Mart bags and please carry out something you did not bring in, it is easy to find.

My experience / I saw

1 a young man drinking beer out of a glass bottle, very dumb
2 people jumping from the cliff. 50 feet or so. the crowd taunting for a jump. very stupid
3 Dogs running loose and to some degree fighting. reckless behavior.

You will have to climb over rocky terrain and large boulders to get here. If there is a injury to someone here getting out will b very difficult.

12  Thank Barry M

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I loved the falls but your are going to hike to the base of the falls I would be very hesitant to take small children very steep and rocky you also have to wade the creek/stream

1  Thank donzo1997
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were staying in Blue Ridge, Ga for a weekend of zip lining and whitewater rafting in Ducktown, TN. I came across the trip advisor 10 beauiful swimming pools and Cummins State Park was about 3hours away and decided to check it out after reading several of the reviews. It was amazing. I also visited Raven Falls, Dukes Creek Falls and went back to Lost Sea. We traveled between Tennessee and Georgia several times sightseeing.

2  Thank t j
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a day together at the falls. This is truly a gem. A great place for the family, however, caution, one can become injured walking across the slick rocks.
Enjoyed the waterfalls greatly!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We visited on a Summer Thursday. The park opened at 8am, we arrived at 8:30 (we were the first ones in the parking lot) and hiked down the marked shortcut trail. We were a bit hesitant from a past review of a shortcut path because she mentioned that you needed to be nimble like a goat and that it was dangerous, but the park must have revamped the trail because it was not dangerous at all and only had a couple challenging areas on the way down. I do suggest you stay on the trail, as I could see where others had taken their own shortcut and it would be very dangerous. We actually saw someone doing this on our way back up and they took a pretty steep slip down the mountain. I would suggest wearing Crocs or hiking sandals as your feet will get wet many times and there are many boulders and rocks to traverse near the end of the trail. The path down to the stream was fine and once you arrive at the stream you take a left and head upstream! There is some beautiful scenery and some fossils in the stone if you look closely! The river was not very rough and there were actually some side areas that looked a little stagnant. My husband and I were hiking with our 3 kids aged 10, 12 & 14 and they had no problems and loved the hike over the river (some spots were slippery so be aware and waterproof your stuff)! I would anticipate most kids could handle this hike except for the end which may be difficult for around 5 years and under... they may be scared and need a lot of help with the large boulders near the end. When we rounded the final corner of our hike, the beautiful waterfall revealed itself to us and we couldn't wait to finally run up to it to play... well more like climb and traverse large boulders to get up to it! The falls are gorgeous and definitely breath taking, but unfortunately when we arrived there was lots of trash left from other days before us! Sadly we saw TONS of trash along the way such as full pairs of new flip flops, old broken flip flops, lots of old nasty socks, t-shirts, a picnic blanket, an old tire, water bottles, beer & soda cans, sports bottles & a full set of keys (if you lost your keys and are reading this, they are on the rocks to the left on the way in;-)) The most disgusting thing of all was the 2 full dirty diapers that someone just left behind on the main rocks on the way in! It is a shame that all of this trash was there and people think they can just leave it behind and someone else can deal with their trash!! I was saddened by how the whole experience was not as nature intended because people did not remove their trash! There was an area to the right side of the falls that was very stagnant and I would not recommend anyone playing in it or even near it. There were some trees and boulders that I believe naturally blocked off the area so just avoid it to be safe.
Once we got over the trashy boulders we arrived at the base of the falls and they were definitely gorgeous and natural aside from the large Gatorade bottle that sat behind the falls on the rock ledge....come on people, clean up your crap!! I digress, we had a blast for around 2 1/2 hours alone with our family before anyone else arrived. We took pictures, explored the falls, jumped off the center of the ledge into the swimming hole (be careful to jump far out and keep soft knees, it is not too deep) We loved the solitude of the falls and enjoying the time with nature alone with just the 5 of us. With all the hiking and water play we found ourselves ready for an early lunch! We were able to sit on the ledge of the falls and have our lunch while taking in the beauty of the falls, still alone! Around noon swarms of people started to arrive with dogs, kids & coolers! We hung out for another couple hours and watched people brave the falls in many different ways. Some went right under the falls, others were at the top of the falls looking down from the very edge, some were riding the side of the falls like a water slide (although it did not look like fun, it probably hurt a little), & many were jumping off the ledge of the falls into the swimming hole. People were bringing their dogs up into the falls and then it started to get annoyingly crowded around 2:00 so we packed up ALL of our belongings and TRASH and left the falls as we had arrived. We never once saw a park ranger or anyone that enforced any restrictions of coolers etc... I do think they should somehow install a trash bin at the falls that is animal proof so that people may be more inclined to throw away their stuff and not just leave it behind. Hopefully a group will volunteer to clean the falls every once in a while to help maintain the beauty that nature intended or the falls will no longer be a joy to visit!
Our hike out was fine once we got over the boulders down to the river. The kids loved playing along the river on the way back. Many more people & tons of dogs were still making their way into the falls as we were leaving. Unfortunately again.... along with dogs comes DOG POOP! The trail out smelled of dog crap every 100 yards or so. It is just ridiculous to let you dog poop right next to the river that you are going to play in a few hundred yards upstream! I saw many piles of fresh dog poop along the river banks. Once we arrived back to the hill trail I did not see anymore because they probably just let their dogs poop in the woods instead of on the trail. The hill trail was definitely steep coming up and I found that I took short breaks around every few turns. My kids were able to power up with no problems! Overall, we really loved the falls and they are worth the hike! What a potentially beautiful place and I hope that one day park ranger presence & a trash bin will encourage others to clean up and pack out their stuff!

9  Thank islamoradalover