“Throwback to earlier era”

Travelodge Cookeville
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Cookeville
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This place reminded me of the motels we used to stay in when I was a kid. The pool is very large for a motel and has a deep (9 ft) end, but no diving board. They have shuffleboard, basketball hoop, barbecue grills, a picnic pavillion. We were in the older part of the hotel. As others have mentioned, it did have a strong "damp" odor, but we are from the swampland, so we are used to that. The in-room coffee maker didn't work, but we just got our coffee at the continental breakfast. In-room fridge, but no microwave. Our room faced the pool and had a little porch. Second floor rooms in the old section have a balcony. There is a washer and dryer for guest use (fee), ice maker, etc. The breakfast was not diabetic friendly, but the staff were very nice and actually spoke English, even the housekeepers! Room was very large with 2 double beds for me and my son. The bed was a little soft for my taste. This property is not in the "hotel district, " but is only 7 minutes from shopping and dining. Not a bad deal for $60 per night including taxes for a summer Saturday night stay.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly for best rate
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Cookeville

Reviewed 6 July 2011

My wife and I were looking for a short getaway, found the alpine lodge close to the parks we wanted to visit. The staff were very frendly and helpful, the pool is large and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed driving around the area vsiting the little towns and roadside attractions,there is also a great resterant in cooksville called crawdaddys. thanks for all your hospitality. Mark &Julie Hardy

Room Tip: It depends weather you want to see the moutains or the swimming pool, the all have nice balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank klodike
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My wife and I were travelling with our 4 sons ages 6 to 12, and were very pleasantly surprised that the Alpine Lodge had a room available with three queen sized beds. We were all able to get a very good nights sleep without crowding three people per bed or anyone having to sleep on a pull-out sofa. The owners are wonderful people who have personally owned the hotel for decades and run a first-class operation. We were very pleased with the room, the service, and the value.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BobPerryNC
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This hotel / motel is an interesting mix of classic & modern accomodation. If you read the family history on its website you'll discover why - - and why it's "something a little different". The Gabriel's still own it; you'll probably get a chance to chat with Martina and Peter (PJ) while you're there if you want to.

Please be assured that "classic" does not in any way equal lack of quality; it's more to do with the atmosphere. Quality-wise, it's about middle of the road, but it is absolutely the cleanest and best kept mid-level I've ever had the pleasure to stay at and our arrival was met with friendly enthusiasm.

When we arrived, the hallway was a bit noisy, but none of the lite noise filtered into the room. Internet access via cable connection is available in the rooms and they will loan you cable free of charge if you don't have one. The little patio area outside our room was very nice for relaxing after dinner and has a nice view of the mountains. We enjoyed being able open the door and step out onto it.

Breakfast is mostly grain products; muffins, cereal, oatmeal, fresh waffles with some fruit. Ours included whole apples, milk, and a couple of juices. Enough to get your day started.

Though we didn't use the play area and the pool season had not quite arrived, we *did* stroll into the area and found it, like the other areas we'd seen, clean and in good condition.

The Gabriel's appear to take great pride in maintaining their lodge and presenting a welcoming atmosphere. Hope you will jump that same-ol-same-ol rut and try out their place. Unless you're super finicky, I think you'll enjoy it as we did.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HeronGal-query
Reviewed 22 February 2011

This Motel offers a great view of the Tennessee mountains and welcomes you with clean and airy rooms opening to the view with balconies.
The proprietors offer warm, very friendly, anticipating but unobtrusive service.
This is a welcome respite from the many impersonal motels along Interstate 40, both in terms of location , close to the Interstate but really in the hills, and in terms of the cared-for feeling you get from the rooms, the common spaces, and the personally involved hosts.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Although it was a sad time for my family and myself, the rooms and staff were so nice, that I am spreading the word.When in Cookeville ,go to the Alpine lodge.We have a family reunion every year the end of August,so at least once a year, I will be back. I think the folks at the Alpine will be like another close friend,they are really that nice.On a score of 1-10, I give them a 10 plus.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2011

great family owned hotel. very reasonably priced. clean, well maintained. great service. rooms available with balcony or patio, had a smoker in group so the patio was wonderful for us. rooms were larger than most for this price range. the included breakfast was normal for hotel, fruits, cereals, pastries, waffles, but they were fresh! clean comfortable area. small den like area w tv ,sofa and rockers to sit w morning coffee to read paper or just relax and wait for others to added ready. have addedthis to my list of hotels when traveling in this area. worth the wait to get out of the nashville rush. about 1 hr 15 minutes from nashville on I-40E

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends