“Off the beaten path”
Review of The Cub Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cosby
The Cub Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Cosby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This is going to be hard to write. The positives were the very accommodating manager, the rate and location. Let me begin that you cannot go wrong with the location, I guess you could say that this is the back door to the park. Near the scenic highway and there is a great old school southern style restaurant nearby.
This place has been under new undership for about a year and in all honesty I cannot speak of what this place was like before. I was told our room was smoke free, put it this way the pj's I wore to bed smell heavily of smoke a day later. The room was kinda clean, some cobwebs.....I know they painted and put in a partial wood floor, this place is super tired the furniture is a hodge podge. I really think if they invested in some updated furniture,bathroom remodel, a very deep cleaning and smoke smell removal, pressure wash the side walks...freshen the place up. The motel office does not create the best first impression. This little place could be a gem.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank freckledcubfan

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We've driven past The Cub (formerly the Bear Cub) for decades, while on camping trips to the National Park campground nearby. This year due to a severe thunderstorm, we called ahead to see if they could accomodate us for one night.
This little gem is very moderately priced, won't break your budget. The new managers have worked very hard to improve the inn. Yes, it's older. No, it's not a Hampton. But it's clean, comfortable, microwave/fridge in each room, bathroom amenities, free wifi, and a super location right by Cosby Creek. There is a really nicely furnished king suite upstairs, for only a few dollars more, that would be terrific for a longer stay.
All rooms are non-smoking. All have either balconies or front & back patio access. Pet friendly with a deposit, refunded instantly in the morning when our dogs passed the test. The managers will do whatever it takes to make you happy.
If the Cosby, Tennessee area is your destination, you really should consider this inn. They do fill up sometimes, so you should call ahead if you're planning to stay. For the price it's a serious bargain and one you should consider if you're looking for a budget stay in a lovely setting.

Room Tip: Check that upstairs king suite out. It's pretty special for the price.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 20FlOz
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had stopped here many years ago on my way from Kansas City to visit family on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and was so charmed by the place that I make it a point to stop there each time I travel past it. This last time the management was new, and they definitely try to please! My family has expanded over the years and there were 15 of us traveling together this trip. After I called the managers to let them know we were coming, they actually went out and bought more beds so they could accommodate us all! It may not be a Holiday Inn, but what Holiday Inn would go to those lengths to take care of their patrons?!? The rooms were clean and the view from both the back and front porches was incredible. I will definitely be stopping there again! Thanks for going the extra mile for us; my whole family loved the place!

Room Tip: Top floors have private porches overlooking a beautiful stream and the bottom floor rooms have direc...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Teresa N
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We have stayed here several times, and absolutely " Loved It". Our friends also enjoyed staying there, they thought it was a great place. We plan on staying there in the future, as much as we can. The hospitality was great and the rooms were clean. It's a great place to just get away and relax.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, on both levels.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeanie K
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The mattresses appeared to be older than I am. The pillows were so old, there was no stuffing left in them. I've stayed in a lot of budget motels in my lifetime and this was probably as bad as any I've seen. I would sleep in my car before I would stay in this place even if the rooms were free. We went elsewhere to spend the night even though they wouldn't refund our money.

I read some good reviews of the place before I booked a room, but the other reviews must have been written by the owners. No customer in his right mind would think that place was a decent place to spend a night.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mcc0471
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cosby
Motel 6 Newport
Motel 6 Newport
#7 of 10 in Newport
Creekwalk Inn and Cabins
Garden of Eden Cabins
Garden of Eden Cabins
#5 of 13 in Cosby

Been to The Cub Motel? Share your experiences!