“Good food & presentation”
Review of The Front Porch Restaurant - CLOSED

The Front Porch Restaurant
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We specialize in delicious scratch-made food. You will not find pre-prepared or frozen, heated up foods here. We use local ingredients wherever possible and our culinary creations span from Granny's recipes to fine dining at affordable costs. We opened on September 1, 2012 after an extensive renovation and we really enjoy what we do. Come on down and enjoy old favorites like fried green tomatoes and catfish, or try a Lowcountry Bucket or Shrimp and Grits. Whatever your tastes, we have a dish for you and some unique things, too. You won't find fresher food or friendlier people that are genuinely happy to serve you. It's what we love to do.
Louisville, Kentucky
“Good food & presentation”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This is our 3 trip to eat here. Catfish & trimmings were great.
The Front Porch Burger was also very tasty. And the Pecan Pie is homemade & assume.

Brooklyn, New York
“Good Southern Cooking”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I took a night off from camp-fire cooking to have dinner at The Front Porch. We were very glad that we did. The food was well prepared, generous portions, and friendly service. It is a casual restaurant so no need to get dressed up. We would definitely go back there again the next time we are camping in Smoky Mountain National Park.

• Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“I never go to the area without stopping at The Front Porch”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We own a vacation cabin in Cosby and for a long time drove past The Front Porch without giving it another thought. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, we gave it a try. OMG - am I glad that we did! The food is outstanding. Everything is carefully made from scratch. The owners are delightful and take pride in everything that they do. You feel welcome from the moment that you walk in. The food is fresh, flavorful and amazing! There is nothing that we've tried that we haven't thoroughly enjoyed. My 12-year old daughter craves the ribs (which for a picky eater is music to my ears) and I have to make multiple stops there to get all of my cravings taken care of (the fried green tomato sandwich, the bourbon baked beans, the chicken parm sandwich, the chipotle mac and cheese). On the weekend, they have bluegrass bands that liven up the atmosphere. BYOB. I encourage everyone to try this place. (Please open one in Chicago so that I can visit more often!)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rangiroa
Senoia, Georgia
“Late Arriving Sunday Nite”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Got in to Christopher's Place Resort late Sunday and needed a place to eat and Marston suggested the Front Porch in Cosby. I got the hamburger steak with mushrooms, peppers and onions and my wife got the Shrimp and Grits. I woofed mine down as it was good and I was hungry. Jo liked the sauce with the shrimp and grits but did not like the grits because they must have been made much earlier in the day. They could have put more sauce and less grits. Our peach cobbler was very good. Other people there were very happy with their meals. A super friendly and nice couple ran the place. Overall it did the trick for late Sunday and being hungry.

Visited October 2013
Hoover, Alabama
“Great Little Place (could be so much better)”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We've had a long history with this funky eatery/music venue over the past seven years. We used to come often when the previous elderly couple owners ran the place for so many years. The Mexican food was pretty mediocre at best (lived in the SW for 25yrs - know my TexMex), but the bluegrass bands were great. Was sorry to hear the lady owner recently passed away. Lovely and delightful she was. Her husband used to wander among the patrons with an artfully-manipulated hand puppet on his shoulder and give the kids (and pretty girls!) a great time. There was just a friendly, funky kind of vibe to the place with a real sense of the whole staff really glad to have you there. Actually saw couples clogging on the postage stamp-sized dance floor! Luckily, that same vibe is still evident in their new iteration with the new owners. The new menu is much more eclectic, but it is a little more adventurous than you'd expect considering the area. The service is still excellent, prompt and friendly. You still get the impression they're glad to have your business.
My wife and I, and another couple, have patronized The Front Porch twice over the last two weeks. Our first visit there with the new ownership was a late Sunday afternoon lunch. The whole place is now much cleaner and more open, They weren't busy and the co-owner(?) was the server. I had the Front Porch burger and a dinner salad. My wife had the chicken and dumplings with a fried green tomato side. Our friends had some sort of BLT sandwich and shrimp and grits. All the food was good, but not with a lot of flair. Just OK. The chicken and dumplings I tasted were pretty bland, but my burger was good and cooked to ordered temperature. The green tomato side was very good and well presented. The salads were very fresh with nice, and generous, amounts of tomato and cucumber. The homemade dressings were good, too. Maybe not the regular cook on this slow day? Our second visit on a Saturday evening was much more fun and enjoyable. The place was busy and there was a small combo to listen to. They still book bluegrass bands it seems, but not last night. Our food was excellent. We again enjoyed the wonderfully fresh salads and my wife got the whole fried green tomato appetizer plate this time. Really good! my wife had the catfish and I had the shrimp and grits. Both were excellent. My shrimp and grits were the best I've had in a while. Our friends had the Chicken Parmesan and Marsala respectively. They were very generous portions for all and everybody had good comments for their choices. I also had the pinto beans and fresh onion side - yumm! I know this review is running long, but we really like this funky place and hope they do well. A couple suggestions though. Since the first thing you see as you come into the restaurant is the kitchen, it should be dressed up and become a real visual asset rather than a rather dingy detriment. The men's restroom could be improved with a few enhancements to the plumbing. Overall we still love the place and will be going back. You can bring in your own beer and wine for a small corkage fee, btw.

• Visited October 2013